NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Animation 2D GIF by Carlos Santonja

Have you checked your LFS? Usually getting live rocks online, is very expensive.
I can get 25 lb of it for 50$ with a seed rock from salty bottom free shipping but I will see if my lfs sells if

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not even a snail? I’m not dosing ammonia and I’m only having coralline and dry rock
do you have a saltwater tank right now?
the problem with rickrolling nowadays is the ads at the start ruins it. back in 04 you could just bam
is this related to something, also a good way to rickroll is to turn off imbedded links if your chat platform a allows it

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a saltwater tank right now?

is this related to something, also a good way to rickroll is to turn off imbedded links if your chat platform a allows it
I don’t have a tank yet, I have the tank tough and I’m building the stand. Should be done within next 3 weeks and then I’m doing a massive order from Amazon for all my equipment.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
someone as bad at dilution math as I am should appreciate clean and easy decimal adjustments I retract my prior assertions about the metric system.

Yeah i find using metric much easier and conversion from liquid- weights so easy for one example

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same chemicals for both, different color charts.

Here api freshwater and saltwater master test kit charts.
Both come with same tests except freshwater tests for low range ph also.
The colour charts are nearly identical ( juat slightly different)
High range ph at 7.4 onwards like each step higher it like the next reading on other teat if get me.
And the amnonia test at low range ( 0.25) different colour as freshwater closer to yellow than lime green and in saltwater test it closer to lime green than yellow.
My paranoid head tells me there exactly the same reagents used and they made the high range ph and amnonia colour charts slightly different so consumers ( think there different,) and buy another test kit.and seems funny to me most complaints on api test kits on amnonia readings are around the 0- 0.25 reading so imo its like they made it so reads in the middle of the freshwater and saltwater colour cards ( so meet in middle and both be nearly accurate) and watched numerous youtube videos of someone testing rodi/water from established freshwater tank/ water from established saltwater tank using both tests and got exactly same readings on both test kits.
But anyway this just my opinion from my paranoid head ^_^

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210509-205148_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210509-205148_Gallery.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 18

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here api freshwater and saltwater master test kit charts.
Both come with same tests except freshwater tests for low range ph also.
The colour charts are nearly identical ( juat slightly different)
High range ph at 7.4 onwards like each step higher it like the next reading on other teat if get me.
And the amnonia test at low range ( 0.25) different colour as freshwater closer to yellow than lime green and in saltwater test it closer to lime green than yellow.
My paranoid head tells me there exactly the same reagents used and they made the high range ph and amnonia colour charts slightly different so consumers ( think there different,) and buy another test kit.and seems funny to me most complaints on api test kits on amnonia readings are around the 0- 0.25 reading so imo its like they made it so reads in the middle of the freshwater and saltwater colour cards ( so meet in middle and both be nearly accurate) and watched numerous youtube videos of someone testing rodi/water from established freshwater tank/ water from established saltwater tank using both tests and got exactly same readings on both test kits.
But anyway this just my opinion from my paranoid head ^_^
I also use the freshwater liquid, but the saltwater chart.

The ammonia is weird for me, and I also don’t get very accurate nitrate readings.

Can I get macroalgae
Wouldn’t suggest it.

And no, don’t get a snail, until it is fully cycled.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the freshwater liquid, but the saltwater chart.

The ammonia is weird for me, and I also don’t get very accurate nitrate readings.

Wouldn’t suggest it.

And no, don’t get a snail, until it is fully cycled.
Why can’t I get macroalgae? It will benefit from the ammonia in the water

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search nitrites in this forum.both top 2 searches on google brought me back to r2r.
Something about chloride in the saltwater stops fishes from processing the nitrite as chloride is so high in saltwater so no concern to us i have just been finding out recently

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210509-211459_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210509-211459_Google.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 16

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the best stuff to use for cement in a nsa besides the 40$ cement
I used superglue ( ca) then aquaforest stone fix after as superglue can become brittle when in water and loses some it strength i read so didnt want to risk just glue.
This aquaforest stone fix sets relatively quickly. Think it said like sets in 15 minutes or something like this.
Dont need superglue then mortar.can just use mortar only.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210509-212208_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210509-212208_Google.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 9

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can’t I get macroalgae? It will benefit from the ammonia in the water
am I missing something here? I'm no botanist but isn't it the nitrates that help them? ammonia cant be beneficial to macros if there aren't any nitrogen-fixing bacteria to make the nutrients available to the algae/plants

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also was £ 9.99 for 1.5 kg bag so smaller bags than alot i seen and therefore smaller price.
I made 2 largish structures like 30- 40 cm high and 30- 40 cm wide ( i used just under 2 x 1.5 kg bags so for you in a 20g,1 bag should be way more than adequate)
Aw also one my structures fell apart in my hands after using just superglue ( i glued this one finger branching rock which had loose,sandy like texture and glued in bang in middle this heavy structure so as carried it to spare room it fell apart in my hands and smashed on floor.so had lots more joints to mortar over once glued the now 30 odd small pieces rock together lol
Good job was after midnight and didnt put back in tank till next morning otherwise maybe wouldnt have a usable tank now ha ha ^_^

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am I missing something here? I'm no botanist but isn't it the nitrates that help them? ammonia cant be beneficial to macros if there aren't any nitrogen-fixing bacteria to make the nutrients available to the algae/plants
According to the article I read, all algae will use ammonia because it's easier for them to use. I'll have to find it again and link it

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the article I read, all algae will use ammonia because it's easier for them to use. I'll have to find it again and link it

Yeah ive read similar regarding plants in freshwater tanks with amnonia being easier for them to use/ convert.
( dont hate me for mentioning freshwater plants) probably same principles they use as macro algae i would of guessed anyhow

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm going to guess that if you're trying to get the bacteria built up you don't starve it out with macro algae

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's a question ...... If you have a gha out break and a ammonia alert badge.... Is your ammonia alert badge accurate if it says 0 ammonia ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back