20 Normal Questions

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It’s just common sense.

I haven’t been following this thread. But well done friend.

on another note, can someone explain to me the difference between slip or threaded bulkheads. Or better yet, tell me if they’re just part of a bulkhead together?

I’ve been here the two years my build has taken me and I’ve learned all I can about chemistry, livestock care etc, but I still don’t know beans about plumbing other than 90 degree elbows increase head pressure and unions are the secret sauce

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im actually a plumber and heating engineer but never used the name " slip"
Either it an american thing or i just call it another name ( all depending on what plastic used to what it called)
But guessing slip = a solvent weld fitting ( glued) as it slips in lol

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your welcome and if ever want to do any plumbing on your tank, dont worry about it ,just get on with it and it falls into place easy enough,just get your measurements right ( measure twice,cut once is the expression used ^_^ )
If gluing twist and hold your pipe into fitting for 10 seconds as sometimes of dont it pops out little bit and then makes your measurements off a little.
If using ptfe tape on a plastic thread dont put to much on as when tighten it it can crack the fitting easy .
I was thinking replumb all my flow/ return pipework as once plumbed mine in i had a small hairline crack in a fitting and when looked into buying the part.the manufacture stated " can get brittle and need replacing" so thought maybe should put decent pipework in from the start but if becomes problem will just go plumbers merchant and buy the parts and pipe and replace i guess .

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing it saying this didnt fill me with confidence but we shall see as my journey into saltwater continues if made right choice or not.
Hopefully dont wake up to 300 and odd litres of water on my living room floor ha ha ^_^

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-221658_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-221658_Chrome.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 8

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im actually a plumber and heating engineer but never used the name " slip"
Either it an american thing or i just call it another name ( all depending on what plastic used to what it called)
But guessing slip = a solvent weld fitting ( glued) as it slips in lol

Yep, here in the States PVC is either threaded or slip, which, as you pointed out, means it's a glue-up. As far as using Teflon tape on PVC, that's a big no-no. The manufacturers state that Teflon tape should not be use on threaded PVC....it can potentially cause the fitting to crack and fail What you do want to use is pipe dope (pipe thread sealant) specifically made for PVC.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My threaded fittings actually came with a gew wraps around of ptfe tape on the threads.
I took them off and put some pipe sealent thread.same as teflon tape but slimmer and fits snug in the threads.
This stuff in picture.
I never had a tank with sump before so cant really comment on other manufactures apart from my own tank.
With using either standard ptfe tape on threaded fittings just in plumbing in general never had a problem really.just dont over tighten.
In gas use ptfe tape also but they only on metal fittings ovbiously.
But yeah some sealent be good to use.

Attachments

• 20210516_225456.jpg
    20210516_225456.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 3

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoom in on the threaded fittings on left you can see my manufacturer actually puts ptfe tape on.and when spoke to them on phone to get a spigot tank connector replaced.he just told me ptfe tape on the threads and use the 2 washers and puf little silicone sealent around edge of fitting ( to stop the little leaks i guess)
Be interesting to know which manufacturers advise/ use this or advise against it and if depends which country or manufacturer it is.
Maybe my manufacturer just rubbish ha ha.
But im quite confident it wont be leaking anytime soon.just hand tightened till got tight then little 1/4 turn and thats it done.

Which manufacturer you saying says dont use ptfe tape or is it all manufacturers that you know off ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-230353_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-230353_Google.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20210516-230401_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-230401_Google.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 2

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

By quickly watching this there mixed reviews.ive always been taught and used ptfe tape when doing domestic plumbing but in industrial/ commercial was mainly pushfit/compression fittings on waste pipes but on plastic pipes carrying water was sealents/ fusion welds / to many different ways to explain lol.
But if not confident that you wont over tighten then sealent be a good idea.just check whats in the sealent first and make sure safe for our little fishy friends ^_^

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure this advice came from some plastic pipe association. I'll see if I can find the references.....

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah begginning that video above it says some association recommends not using ptfe tape.but then says a plastic pipe association recommends it ha ha.
I think all depends how confident you are on using whatever you using.and how often you have done before.
If never done before then sealent is a very good idea as i said in first post above" dont put to much ptfe tape on " as can cause crack in fitting.
Just be certain you got correct sealent as ive used so many sealents over the years that are so greasy/ oliy it would scare me using it on a aquarium but im guessing if it says safe to use with POTABLE WATER then it be safe for aquarium use.but this first tank with a sump and i used pipe sealent thread ( thin stranded teflon) ^_^

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not find the association reference, but two of the largest pvc fitting manufacturers advise against use of tape....Spears and Lasco. HERE's the Lasco guidance.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well depends what site you look on to what advice given lol .
In last screenshot i sent below.is reason i used what i used as easier to dis-asemble if leaks ( as given long enough,everything will leak.)
I got taught when was training lots different ways to seal plastic pipes but don't ever remember being taught not to use ptfe tape on plastic threads,just got told dont over tighten as will break the fitting.
Worked industrial/ commercial plumber for several years and several years for myself and never got complaints of leaking from using ptfe tape.
Ovbiously sometimes as installing would have little leak that had to fix.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-233748_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-233748_Chrome.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20210516-234306_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-234306_Chrome.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20210516-234316_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-234316_Chrome.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 2

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure this advice came from some plastic pipe association. I'll see if I can find the references.....
im sorry but the fact that theres a plastic pipe association cracks me up

however, clearly a very useful association lol

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah associations and schemes for everything ha ha

Amount schemes/associations i had to join by law or joined as would benefit me was insane.
Literally like 6 different either id cards or just cards stating i was a member.
More of them than actual bank cards lol

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All plumbing in uk usually governed by these guys.
Well get trained in their ways and get another card lol.
And gas run by " gas safe register"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-235715_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-235715_Google.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But point im making is plumbing is easy ,especially with plastic pipes so dont be scared.and when buying the fittings go to a plumbers merchants and if need any advice the staff will give you and even tell you which pipes/ fittings to use.i know i been plenty times saying what ya reckon about doing it this way and they agree or say use this fitting instead and be better etc

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey, are you making fun of the guys over at PPFA (that is the Plastic Pipe and Fittings Association)? I'm sure if you look into it you'd find an Association for Associations! :oops:

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, are you making fun of the guys over at PPFA (that is the Plastic Pipe and Fittings Association)? I'm sure if you look into it you'd find an Association for Associations! :oops:
im actually trying to start up an association for associations and I'm looking for cofounders.... any interest

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back