200g Finished Build

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've been working on this tank for a long time (6months?). I had to sort out a lot of various issues as well as move, have a kid, fix leaks, etc. So it just took a long time to finish. BUT - yesterday I finally moved over the last of my corals and put on the last light...so it's done...for now....knock on wood.

3s1h1jC.jpg

Tank is a 200g (80x24x24) with:
-60g sump
-Reef octopus 5000. Although this is too big. I need to downsize I think.
-3 Radion x30
-2 MP40's (might put the two on one side and add a gyrie to other side. dunno yet)
-Full APEX with bells and whistles. Too many bells and whistles.
-Jabaeo 12000 return

I had a bunch of small LPS and a few small SPS in a biocube 29. I moved them into the new tank over the course of about a 10 days. Added fish over the same time period. Obviously after tank was cycled.

Now I'm setting up the biocube as my quarantine and sorting out the plan for which fish to get first. Exciting time.

Also set my radions to 18k and man, that's awesome. So much blue. I am doing 14k for a few hours at midday. But that 18k look is sweet.

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome!

Where did you get your tank? What kind of overflow?

What kind of sump do you have?

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey thanks.

Everything was made local up here in the Portland area. Tank was made by oceans by design in Seattle. I had the sump made by a local guy that does Awesome acrylic work. It's 48x20x16. I think. I wanted it a bit taller but then the skimmer wouldn't fit in and out of my stand.

I'm leaning towards making a big fuge out of the middle chamber but then I'd have no room for any more reactors or anything. It's a tight fit as is.

Overflow is a standard herbie. I have a 1.5in main drain on full siphon. Then a 1.5in emergency. I tested the emergency with a closed off main and full power on the jabeao and it held. Hopefully that's good. Returns are two .75in.

One interesting feature is a wc hole that drains down about 25g. It's capped under the tank with a ball valve. But it leads to sump and I'm pretty sure the sump could hold it all. If a kid messed with the valve or something.

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey thanks y'all. Really happy to hear people are liking the rock work. I absolutely dreaded doing the aquascaping and it took me a couple weeks in the garage with a tank taped off on the floor to figure this out. I enjoy open sandy areas and an asymmetrical look, which I think came through. Only issue is that I'll have to move a few pieces since some corals I have are on larger rocks already.

Next up is ordering first round of qt fish. Then waiting for the algae breakout so I can order a giant clean up crew from reef cleaners.

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks again...I appreciate it.

I would love an achilles but I don't know if I'm up for it. This is my first full size salt tank so I want to start things off with easy.....maybe eventually.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great love the simplistic scape and the open space for fish to swim and corals to grow.

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks...

I'm about to go pick up a small pair of Blonde Naso tangs. I am getting them as small as I can while still being able to sex them. So they say they're under 4in. I know Naso's are a hotly debated topic but my plan is to get them up to about 8in then re-home them. I think it will be easier to find someone to take them if I make the move earlier vs. waiting until they outgrow this tank. My hope is that the 80in length is sufficient to keep them entertained for a few years.

So they're going in QT today along with a diamond goby. I'm following the QT protocol that's stickied on this site - prazipro and copper over the course of a month. I've never QT'd fish before (horrible, I know). So fingers crossed I don't mess it up. Luckily my biocube 29 has been up and running for over a year. I emptied it out, removed the sand and most of the rock - then refilled it with new water from the big tank. I left some rock in for now...for hiding spots and biological filtration. I'll remove it once these fish are done with meds.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back