20L reef led lighting

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning to start a 20L reef tank and I need some advice on lighting. I want to be able to keep softies, lps, and a few sps like montipora in the top part of the tank. I have been looking around but I can't find any leds that really appeal to me that aren't ridiculously priced. I'm open to t5s but I would like something that has individual programmability for actinics and daylights. I've looked at the galyxhydro type boxes but I feel like one wouldn't be enough for a 30" tank and that 2 would be overkill. I'm open to any suggestions or thoughts on this.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 30 in your looking at two smaller fixtures like kessil or ai hydras. Or a strip like orbit marine. A little bit will be how you want to hang the light and if you have a canopy.
And oh yes. Budget. That'll factor in the amount of power you can afford.

They do make a 30 in black box.its the 300w I belive. I'd go sbreeflight not the standard hydro or mars.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^+1 cosigning the SBReef myself. You won't be disappointed.
Was already going to suggest but he beat me to it. Lol
Hahahaha. They ramping down yet? Ooooooooooohhhhhh.

One of the prettiest lights over a tank was the maxspect razor. You can get em cheaper on eBay new as they've been discontinued.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 30 in your looking at two smaller fixtures like kessil or ai hydras. Or a strip like orbit marine. A little bit will be how you want to hang the light and if you have a canopy.
And oh yes. Budget. That'll factor in the amount of power you can afford.

They do make a 30 in black box.its the 300w I belive. I'd go sbreeflight not the standard hydro or mars.
Looking at that light I really like it, but could it grow a wider variety of sps or would I be limited to the "lower light" ones? If I end up spending 300$ on a light I'd like to have a wide variety so I don't have to upgrade again lol. Also I have an orbit marine 18-24 over my 5g nano currently and it doesn't seem to be anywhere near bright enough for sps, I'm not sure how different the pro is though. Thank you for the advice

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at that light I really like it, but could it grow a wider variety of sps or would I be limited to the "lower light" ones? If I end up spending 300$ on a light I'd like to have a wide variety so I don't have to upgrade again lol. Also I have an orbit marine 18-24 over my 5g nano currently and it doesn't seem to be anywhere near bright enough for sps, I'm not sure how different the pro is though. Thank you for the advice
The orbit pro is better yes But.
A max you would actually need a 27in model btw. Mine is 20in.

The $300 range youlll be looking at used in the big name leds. But also you can affor ramping or a timer in the sbreeflight BBs.

The Bb's are powerful. A razor is half of that the orbit is less than that power.
The last two are a little more suited to your tank depth

Unless you like to blast like @ReeferMaddness843 and I do We both run slightly higher pars than some folks.

OP
OP
S

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahaha. They ramping down yet? Ooooooooooohhhhhh.

One of the prettiest lights over
The orbit pro is better yes But.
A max you would actually need a 27in model btw. Mine is 20in.

The $300 range youlll be looking at used in the big name leds. But also you can affor ramping or a timer in the sbreeflight BBs.

The Bb's are powerful. A razor is half of that the orbit is less than that power.
The last two are a little more suited to your tank depth

Unless you like to blast like @ReeferMaddness843 and I do We both run slightly higher pars than some folks.
So if I run a Bb I'd need to run it on a pretty low intensity so I don't cook my corals right? Lighting is where I lack knowledge currently so I really do appreciate the help

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I run a Bb I'd need to run it on a pretty low intensity so I don't cook my corals right? Lighting is where I lack knowledge currently so I really do appreciate the help
Yes exactly.
It's no sweat. Once you choose a fixture most folks are pretty familiar witht the insensitive and how to get your tank acclimated to it.
Reefer madness and I have been pming about setting his up. I have one as well.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We estimated the 32" pro timer version at roughly 2k par at 12" above water line max power. Me-1, Sun-0. Muahaha. (Absolutely not running that intensity, but ya know. Just gotta see what it can do.) I think they run a Binford power supply. Lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks, not blasting yet. Lol!! Going to work my way and see what they can take over time. Holding at my settings for a week or two then will bump up slowly and see what they can do.
Liar.

You know most folks have 100 or less on the sand Right? Yer prob pushin 200

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a used pair of Primes over the same tank. Ran great for easy SPS and any all LPS softies considering the depth and I paid $250 with mounts. Something to consider.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back