210 Gallon - "Texas" (First Build)

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha np man! Glad I got the nem master up in here ;)

That sad thing is you should see what I do to sticks.....Nems, even the hardest, walk in the park for me 90% if the time. SPS, let's just say if I ever had a calcium reactor I wouldn't need to buy media.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I believe it! Got a build thread with your sps?

He took that build down after we all started calling it 'the graveyard'.

Your tank looks pretty good though @Byronyk -- My one bit of advice for the Speckled Krak is be exceptionally careful if you ever decide to frag it... After some digging I've met way more than a couple people who've melted their colonies by taking frags... That's a reason their value has some staying power.

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He took that build down after we all started calling it 'the graveyard'.

Your tank looks pretty good though @Byronyk -- My one bit of advice for the Speckled Krak is be exceptionally careful if you ever decide to frag it... After some digging I've met way more than a couple people who've melted their colonies by taking frags... That's a reason their value has some staying power.

Good to know about the speckled kraks. I started with the 1 polyp from my LFS for a pretty good price. Since then, 2 new polyps have grown and a 3rd one is budding. I'm not a zoa/paly expert, but is it more likely for a zoa/paly to melt after fragging than not?

Just read your entire thread and watched the first video. 6 pages... I had six pages before my first tank arrived! Lol.

Great looking tank! I'll have to head over to YouTube and sub your channel.

LOL, yeah I've read through your whole thread. You and I had a similar experience with a cracked tank from SCA though... In my case, it looked like a pallet jack smashed the front of the tank. Oh well, they're both up and running now so that's good :D

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, yeah I've read through your whole thread. You and I had a similar experience with a cracked tank from SCA though... In my case, it looked like a pallet jack smashed the front of the tank. Oh well, they're both up and running now so that's good :D

The WHOLE thing... sheesh. How long did that take?

Also, what's the secret with your acros? I can do stylophora and seriatopora, even montipora before I got monti eating nudis. I decided to just get rid of the three frags I had and my LFS owner said he'd hook me up after 4 months. I have a hunch it's my nutrient swings, cant seem to get them stable.

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The WHOLE thing... sheesh. How long did that take?

Also, what's the secret with your acros? I can do stylophora and seriatopora, even montipora before I got monti eating nudis. I decided to just get rid of the three frags I had and my LFS owner said he'd hook me up after 4 months. I have a hunch it's my nutrient swings, cant seem to get them stable.

Nah, not the whole thing. In the bottom/middle, you could see a 8" fracture -- like the glass was crushed -- along with a pallet jack sized hole in the box/pallet.

As for the acro's, I'd guess most of it can be attributed to stability. I use a GHL doser for alk/calc and I keep it as solid as I can between 8.0-8.5. Large swings of salinity/alk/calc/LIGHT can cause STN/RTN.

Right now I'm battling low nutrients impacting a few of my coral (Pink + Green Birdsnest and Orange/Pink Octospawn). Part of this is due to my tank being fallow for 70~ days to battle my Ich problem. Nitrates/Phosphates have been 0 for awhile now, and after recently dosing nitrates (NeoNitro) and slowly bringing n03 up to 3ppm, I'm starting to see improvements in the birdsnests (Not the octospawn though).

Also in regards to your monti eating nudi issue, I had the same problem (there's a video a few pages back). My strategy was to pull them off the rock and dip them in Bayer + CoralRX every 3 days for 1 month. Every dip I'd hit each piece with a tooth brush. After 1.5 months of observation on a frag rack, I discovered NO additional MEN on my monti's. Has your 4 month period finished yet?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know about the speckled kraks. I started with the 1 polyp from my LFS for a pretty good price. Since then, 2 new polyps have grown and a 3rd one is budding. I'm not a zoa/paly expert, but is it more likely for a zoa/paly to melt after fragging than not?

No, it's way less likely that they melt from fragging. That's why I wanted to save you from a nasty surprise.

It seems to happen like 1/10 times with Speckled Kraks. Others that are not known for melting may melt as well. I've found over the years, the ones you love the most are sure to die for stupid reasons.

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's way less likely that they melt from fragging. That's why I wanted to save you from a nasty surprise.

It seems to happen like 1/10 times with Speckled Kraks. Others that are not known for melting may melt as well. I've found over the years, the ones you love the most are sure to die for stupid reasons.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be cautious. For now, I'm not fragging anything haha.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I done something stupid. I decided to add 3 acropora to my collection that have always been at the top of my list, just always too nervous to dive in. In 2 weeks, i'll be the proud owner of...
  • JF Homewrecker
  • SC Orange Passion
  • ASD Rainbow Millie
Please forgive me.
Thats a nice score!

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a pic of the cut pieces. I want them now...

1369_1535164314771.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back