22 gallon Mr Aqua (closed loop)

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently in the works downsizing from my 65 gallon to a 22 gallon Mr Aqua. l will be installing a closed loop for flow using the OM flow diverter, so there will be no pumps visible in the tank. The only visible piece of equipment will be a 400 gph fiji cube low profile overflow that will be mounted on the left side of the tank (peninsula style). I haven't gotten it yet, but hope it's not going to be to intrusive in the tank and look very minimal. If it looks to monstrous I will not use it and figure out something else. I'm off to a good start and have already drilled the tank for the closed loop. Here are a couple of first look pics to start this thread off. There will be plenty more pics to come as I make progress.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is one sweet stand! Looking forward to following!

OP
OP
TMC1313

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights came in about two weeks ago. I was a custom nanobox user, but since nanobox is no longer in business I'm switching back to AI. I've had good results with them in the past and I like the My AI App. I went with 4 of the AI primes and over the last two weeks have been impressed with the overall color, color blending and reaction from the coral. I have them over my current tank so when I switch things over the corals will already be used to the new lighting.

Dave Steele

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool stand and build. How many of the AI Primes do you plan to run on the new tank?

Looking forward to watching this come together.

Dave

OP
OP
TMC1313

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool stand and build. How many of the AI Primes do you plan to run on the new tank?

Looking forward to watching this come together.

Dave
Thanks Dave, I will use at least three of them and possibly all four. The tank will be 100% SPS so good light spread is a must. Half of the corals I will be moving are already at the stage of being called mini colonies and are no longer frags. Because the new tank volume is 1/3 less volume than my current tank, I've been trying to decide what gets moved and what gets sold.

OP
OP
TMC1313

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TMC1313

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small update. I was able to drill for the overflow and the exhaust fan where it will be in the cabinet. I also will be using a smaller rimless tank as a sump (no baffles)... I hate baffles. I will be painting the back of the sump white. On the shelf above the sump will be where the closed loop will be plumbed. The overflow is a fiji 400 gph. I have mixed feelings about it. The inner box is tiny and not intrusive at all. The outer box is fairly large, but for this build that side of the tank will be wall side so it should be fine. There will be no background so there can be absolutely no visible plumbing or wires on the back. Here are a few photos.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running the Mr. Aqua 12 for my mangrove office tank! Fun tanks to work with and aquascape, a special design in my opinion.

LOVE the stand, such a beautiful piece that will compliment the tank greatly. Looking forward to following along.

OP
OP
TMC1313

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my OM flow diverter today so I can achieve my in tank "pump free" goal. Such a simple design, It's much smaller than I thought it would be (very cool). Another plus, I plugged it in and it's completely silent. Next up on order is the pump to attach it to. I think I'll be going with a Sicce ADV 5.5.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of those and it failed miserably for us. My husband hates noise and it would get tiny sand particles inside every couple days and make lots of noise. It is a great concept and probably great in tanks with no sand, but for our system it did not work.
Let us know how it worked out. Like I said, I loved the concept.

OP
OP
TMC1313

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of those and it failed miserably for us. My husband hates noise and it would get tiny sand particles inside every couple days and make lots of noise. It is a great concept and probably great in tanks with no sand, but for our system it did not work.
Let us know how it worked out. Like I said, I loved the concept.
Yikes! That's not good news, however, I've also heard great things about them to. Well, there's no going back now, I will soon find out.

OP
OP
TMC1313

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool build, the only con I can see is the space above the sump seems a bit tight.
Thanks, space above the sump should be more than adequate. The only thing I will have on that shelf is some plumbing for the closed loop and the return pump.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, space above the sump should be more than adequate. The only thing I will have on that shelf is some plumbing for the closed loop and the return pump.
I was referring to under the shelf over the sump space. It seems like it would be a pain when plumbing everything in or doing sump cleaning.. not that these things happen every day or it's a huge deal it just seems like a tight spot. Please don't take it that I don't like the design, I love it in general that one spot just seems like it would be a pain.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 131 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.6%
Back