22 gallon office build

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my favorite forum and wanted to do a build thread on this tank, being it's not a reef tank it was suggested to do the build here. At one time I had a 5 gallon planted with a hang on the back filter. It was nice but in the end I tore it down. So finally resurrecting my office planted tank, I would do a reef but the AC is not very dependable and the planted can take that better. Plus we have an RO system at work so I don't have to haul special water to the office for water changes and stuff. After much shopping around I went with a fiji cube 11 gallon cube AIO. But wait....title says 22 gallon. So as it turned out their website had not been updated and the 11 gallon was out of stock. Customer service was excellent and they decided to offer me the 22.4 at 15% off and I took it. Ordered some extra substrate and little bigger heater and we are good to go. Everything was ordered today so I will post pictures when stuff starts coming in.

Tagged a couple of people I know were interested.

Tank
17" x 17" x 16.5" fiji cube with low iron glass
Substrate: I ordered two bags of flourite dark for a cap. I will use stones and aquarium gravel to get height in the scape but will be capped off with the flourite.
Two pieces of tiger wood root, not sure if I'll use both
A mix of dragon stone and elephant stone.

Equipment
AI prime freshwater, with mounting arm
100w titanium finnex with analog controller
temp prob (I have read this version of the finnex is way off so wanted this to determine temp)
fiji cube return pump
co2: using paint ball canisters with electric cylinoid and regulator

(@Dsnakes, @crusso1993, @Lowell Lemon )

Last edited:
OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Looking forward to it. Dragon stone looks great in planted tanks. I’ve got a box of it from a previous one.
Yeah I already had some elephant stone at home I wanted to use so I just ordered a few pounds of the dragon. I hope it's enough

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for anybody that has ideas on this. This tank sits on the corner of my desk but with the bigger tank will have to hang off some. My idea is to place the tank on plywood (painted to make it look nice), then under the part that hangs off have two legs for support. Anybody see any issues with that? the desk is an older desk and very stout.

Edit: My desk sits in the corner of the room, so none of the supports will be seen.

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe you listened and are posting a FW planted on a reef website. You, my friend, are obviously not right in the head. That's proabably why we get along so well!

FULL STEAM AHEAD!

Everything sounds good even the part with the tank hanging off the desk on plywood with supporting legs. Are you planning on placing the plywood under the entire tank thereby raising it off the desk a little or are you going to mount the plywood level to the desk using angle iron? Then use the two legs to the floor? Or you could use a couple of 2x4s cut at the right angle, mounted to the side of the desk and plywood too. Depends on the desk though. Pics would be good.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe you listened and are posting a FW planted on a reef website. You, my friend, are obviously not right in the head. That's proabably why we get along so well!

FULL STEAM AHEAD!

Everything sounds good even the part with the tank hanging off the desk on plywood with supporting legs. Are you planning on placing the plywood under the entire tank thereby raising it off the desk a little or are you going to mount the plywood level to the desk using angle iron? Then use the two legs to the floor? Or you could use a couple of 2x4s cut at the right angle, mounted to the side of the desk and plywood too. Depends on the desk though. Pics would be good.
Well I never claimed to be right in the head, and I did put it in the lounge.

Plan was to place the entire tank on plywood lifting it slightly off the desk. Then have the desk and two legs supporting the plywood and tank. I'll take pictures on Monday, not going back to the office this weekend. I avoid that place like the plague on weekends.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for anybody that has ideas on this. This tank sits on the corner of my desk but with the bigger tank will have to hang off some. My idea is to place the tank on plywood (painted to make it look nice), then under the part that hangs off have two legs for support. Anybody see any issues with that? the desk is an older desk and very stout.

Edit: My desk sits in the corner of the room, so none of the supports will be seen.
I don’t see any issues if well built and level. That tank is small and won’t have too much weight.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these are the pics of the elephant stone and tiger wood I already have, plus a picture of the new tiger wood I have coming. Not sure I'll use it all but wanted options.

IMG_2742.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

tiger3-2_012_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Sweet!

(Looks like someone has a little tobacco habit! :eek:)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't even notice that in the background, yes a user since high school.

Unfortunately, I relate to the tobacco habit only in a different form. :eek:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the only addiction I battle, but it has a hold of me.

Yeah, it can be a bear. I've stopped a few times with the longest stretch at 7 years. Started up again about 4 years ago. Going to stop again very soon.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it can be a bear. I've stopped a few times with the longest stretch at 7 years. Started up again about 4 years ago. Going to stop again very soon.
I'm not that good, I stopped for a few months a couple of times but went back to it.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back