220 gallon stocking

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks,

Been in the hobby for a long time (20 years) and am finally stepping into a much larger tank. I've had many tanks under 100 gallons but have been planning a much larger one for the last year or so. I was going to go much bigger than 220 but found one used online that is everything I need.

This will be a reef tank (minus some inverts) with predominately large predatory fish.
I'll be consolidating one of my other tanks into this one and it currently has a large black Volitan, a medium sized chainlink eel, and a vicious bristletooth tang.
I have given things a lot of thought regarding QT and I am not going to take that route. I haven't QT'd a fish in over 20 years and imagine the process is still just as wrong and immoral now as it was then. (I imagine copper is the equivalent of chemo, but for fish) Most fish i've kept have had some form of ich in each tank and generally survive it after a short battle (good water quality and food goes a long way...)

While I have kept some of the smaller tangs in a 90 I had setup for 20 years I do not have much experience keeping multiples, something I would like to do.
The Kole tang I have now is vicious to anyone new, more so than any I have had experience with. He tailwhipped a foxface to death, whips the eel all the time and would do the same to the lion if he could.
With that being said the bristletooth is naturally smaller than most other tangs, I do not have much experience with the species of fish and am at a crossroads. I would like to add a yellow tang, purple tang, and possibly a blue

Likely a large angel at some point.
Not worried about corals, I've kept them my whole life and look forward to tailoring the corals around the fish instead of having to pick reef safe fish to stay away from certain corals, if that makes sense.

My question is, with the aggressive nature of the kole tang, or potential aggressive nature of the purple, would it be in my best interest to add all of tangs at the same time? and the angel?
Thanks folks, excited about this new journey!

Also, any tips when picking up and transporting a tank of this size? Will have 3 male adults with me. The tank comes with rock and sand, ill likely do away with the sand.
I am reinforcing under the home with steel jacks this week to prevent a potential disaster...lol.

JayLu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is definitely better to add them all at the same time. The kole shouldn’t really be able to bully the other tangs for that long.

Back