225 gallon Lee-mar upgrade (in progress)

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 9, 2007
Messages
1,058
Reaction score
97
Location
Berkeley, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so finally the upgrade may be happening soon.

I will hopefully be moving into a new place in a month and a half or so. The new place has a partial basement (fish room) where I will house all my equipment.

I am keeping my frag tank (48x30x12") and will also be plumbing in a 48x24x20" sump w/ a 150 gallon rubbermaid stock tank (Big fuge?). The skimmer for the whole system will be a Vertex alpha cone 300. I will be running either a dart or a tarpon pump up to the display tank. I will be running a 12x54w sfiligoi stealth on my frag tank.

The display tank is a 72x30x24" eurobraced front starfire tank. I will have a 72" sfiligoi XR6 (3 x 250w MH, 8 x 39w t5ho) on the display. The light skin is currently being painted white with metallic pearls (Thanks Jess).

I ordered a track actuator from Linear Actuators, Linear Motors, Micro motors, Electric Motors and some pulleys from McMaster.
I plan to do something similar to the following
Actuated light winch - Reef Central Online Community

I will be using 6 vortech mp40w es for flow. 2 on each side and 2 on the back side. My skin for the steel stand will be made by Greg65 on RC.

To support the weight of the tank, I will be using some screw jacks. Thanks Art for pointed me to floor jacks here.
https://store.ellisok.com/


I will also have be buying two 100g water cylinders from tankdepot.com for my RO/DI and salt water mix.

No pictures right now of the tank, I will update the progress as it happens. Here are some shots of the rocks I posted a couple months ago. The tank is in the back right of some of the shots.


front
BKK_3089small.jpg


top
BKK_3099small.jpg


front left
BKK_3084small.jpg


front center
BKK_3086small.jpg


front right
BKK_3085small.jpg


top left
BKK_3091small.jpg


top center
BKK_3092small.jpg


top right
BKK_3093small.jpg
 
I can't wait to see this come together. Good choice on equipment - I run a Sfiligoi 12x 54 Stealth on my display and LOVE it!
 
Thanks Nayrgajin.

Thanks Soccerbag, I've had the stealth for a while as well. I did run into a problem when one of the ballasts died. The wiring schematic on the old ballast was all wrong. It took me a while to figure out the schematic was wrong. lol

Oh I forgot to add I also modified the sfiligoi xr6. I tore out the transformers for the t5 ballasts (220v). Replaced the t5 ballasts with 110 volts. I also drilled four 3" holes on the mesh on the top of the fixture and placed in 4 fans.
 
Funny you mentioned the Stealth. They ALL had ballast issues. I don't know of anyone who has one that didn't have the ballast issue. That being said, I'm still in love with it and Sfiligoi shipped out a new ballast for free so all was good there. It was a very interesting time rewiring it though....lol. The xr6 is awesome. Light will NOT be an issue for you!
 
Did you make the rock yourself?
That is Marco Key Largo rock. Its about 120 pounds worth. I used sakrete hydraulic cement and zip ties to join them together.


Funny you mentioned the Stealth. They ALL had ballast issues. I don't know of anyone who has one that didn't have the ballast issue. That being said, I'm still in love with it and Sfiligoi shipped out a new ballast for free so all was good there. It was a very interesting time rewiring it though....lol. The xr6 is awesome. Light will NOT be an issue for you!
Yeah rewiring was a pleasure lol. I wonder why the ballasts have issues. Its a pain to get to the ballasts having to take out the reflectors.

Yeah, the xr6 is a pretty sweet light. I wired in 3 independent cords for the MH ballasts. I am going to run 3 250w hamilton hqi ballasts and radium bulbs. The T5 ballasts were exchanged for universal triad ballasts and will be running 4 ati blue plus and 4 uvl super actinic.

This is going to be a nice setup. 6 vortechs will be pushing some great flow in the tank.
Yes, hopefully it won't do too much damage to the sand I will have in the tank. haha
 
congrads bro. looking forward to seeing you make this happen. if you need a few 300 gallon water containers. like 6foot tall let me know...glad to see ya at baymac.
 
congrads bro. looking forward to seeing you make this happen. if you need a few 300 gallon water containers. like 6foot tall let me know...glad to see ya at baymac.

Great seeing you as well Richard. Thanks for the offer, but I think 300 is a bit too big for me at the moment haha.
 
nothing is ever to big. i just dont its.. hmm short guy friendly. you would laugh seeing me clean my 550 inside every 4 months. some day i feel i will be trapped in the container cleaning it.
 
SWEET scape there! I can't wait to see this meng! :D
 
nothing is ever to big. i just dont its.. hmm short guy friendly. you would laugh seeing me clean my 550 inside every 4 months. some day i feel i will be trapped in the container cleaning it.
Haha, I can picture it now.


SWEET scape there! I can't wait to see this meng! :D
Thanks Rev, I can't wait either. So anxious to get the tank up.


gonna be a sweet build! cant wait to see it come together!
Thanks, its been a long time coming.
 
Congrats Ian. Its about time as I've known about this thing for over a year. Now lets get this bad boy up and running 1smile1
 
Congrats Ian. Its about time as I've known about this thing for over a year. Now lets get this bad boy up and running 1smile1
Thanks Mark. I'll let you know when the move is going to happen. It will be a multi step process haha.



awesome Ian... looking forward to seeing this bad boy set up... :)

Thanks Marvin, it should be soon.
 
Nice build so far. I'm really hoping that you are a little more detailed with the lighting lift compared to the one you posted.
 
Will do. The actuator and the cable pulleys are scheduled for delivery today. I'll probably get started on it this weekend.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new