225 gallon Lee-mar upgrade (in progress)

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so finally the upgrade may be happening soon.

I will hopefully be moving into a new place in a month and a half or so. The new place has a partial basement (fish room) where I will house all my equipment.

I am keeping my frag tank (48x30x12") and will also be plumbing in a 48x24x20" sump w/ a 150 gallon rubbermaid stock tank (Big fuge?). The skimmer for the whole system will be a Vertex alpha cone 300. I will be running either a dart or a tarpon pump up to the display tank. I will be running a 12x54w sfiligoi stealth on my frag tank.

The display tank is a 72x30x24" eurobraced front starfire tank. I will have a 72" sfiligoi XR6 (3 x 250w MH, 8 x 39w t5ho) on the display. The light skin is currently being painted white with metallic pearls (Thanks Jess).

I ordered a track actuator from Linear Actuators, Linear Motors, Micro motors, Electric Motors and some pulleys from McMaster.
I plan to do something similar to the following
Actuated light winch - Reef Central Online Community

I will be using 6 vortech mp40w es for flow. 2 on each side and 2 on the back side. My skin for the steel stand will be made by Greg65 on RC.

To support the weight of the tank, I will be using some screw jacks. Thanks Art for pointed me to floor jacks here.
https://store.ellisok.com/

I will also have be buying two 100g water cylinders from tankdepot.com for my RO/DI and salt water mix.

No pictures right now of the tank, I will update the progress as it happens. Here are some shots of the rocks I posted a couple months ago. The tank is in the back right of some of the shots.

front
BKK_3089small.jpg

BKK_3099small.jpg

front left
BKK_3084small.jpg

front center
BKK_3086small.jpg

front right
BKK_3085small.jpg

top left
BKK_3091small.jpg

top center
BKK_3092small.jpg

top right
BKK_3093small.jpg

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to see this come together. Good choice on equipment - I run a Sfiligoi 12x 54 Stealth on my display and LOVE it!

OP
OP
I

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Nayrgajin.

Thanks Soccerbag, I've had the stealth for a while as well. I did run into a problem when one of the ballasts died. The wiring schematic on the old ballast was all wrong. It took me a while to figure out the schematic was wrong. lol

Oh I forgot to add I also modified the sfiligoi xr6. I tore out the transformers for the t5 ballasts (220v). Replaced the t5 ballasts with 110 volts. I also drilled four 3" holes on the mesh on the top of the fixture and placed in 4 fans.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you mentioned the Stealth. They ALL had ballast issues. I don't know of anyone who has one that didn't have the ballast issue. That being said, I'm still in love with it and Sfiligoi shipped out a new ballast for free so all was good there. It was a very interesting time rewiring it though....lol. The xr6 is awesome. Light will NOT be an issue for you!

OP
OP
I

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make the rock yourself?
That is Marco Key Largo rock. Its about 120 pounds worth. I used sakrete hydraulic cement and zip ties to join them together.

Funny you mentioned the Stealth. They ALL had ballast issues. I don't know of anyone who has one that didn't have the ballast issue. That being said, I'm still in love with it and Sfiligoi shipped out a new ballast for free so all was good there. It was a very interesting time rewiring it though....lol. The xr6 is awesome. Light will NOT be an issue for you!
Yeah rewiring was a pleasure lol. I wonder why the ballasts have issues. Its a pain to get to the ballasts having to take out the reflectors.

Yeah, the xr6 is a pretty sweet light. I wired in 3 independent cords for the MH ballasts. I am going to run 3 250w hamilton hqi ballasts and radium bulbs. The T5 ballasts were exchanged for universal triad ballasts and will be running 4 ati blue plus and 4 uvl super actinic.

This is going to be a nice setup. 6 vortechs will be pushing some great flow in the tank.
Yes, hopefully it won't do too much damage to the sand I will have in the tank. haha

OP
OP
I

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congrads bro. looking forward to seeing you make this happen. if you need a few 300 gallon water containers. like 6foot tall let me know...glad to see ya at baymac.

Great seeing you as well Richard. Thanks for the offer, but I think 300 is a bit too big for me at the moment haha.

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing is ever to big. i just dont its.. hmm short guy friendly. you would laugh seeing me clean my 550 inside every 4 months. some day i feel i will be trapped in the container cleaning it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SWEET scape there! I can't wait to see this meng! :D

OP
OP
I

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing is ever to big. i just dont its.. hmm short guy friendly. you would laugh seeing me clean my 550 inside every 4 months. some day i feel i will be trapped in the container cleaning it.
Haha, I can picture it now.

SWEET scape there! I can't wait to see this meng! :D
Thanks Rev, I can't wait either. So anxious to get the tank up.

gonna be a sweet build! cant wait to see it come together!
Thanks, its been a long time coming.

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Ian. Its about time as I've known about this thing for over a year. Now lets get this bad boy up and running 1smile1

OP
OP
I

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Ian. Its about time as I've known about this thing for over a year. Now lets get this bad boy up and running 1smile1
Thanks Mark. I'll let you know when the move is going to happen. It will be a multi step process haha.

awesome Ian... looking forward to seeing this bad boy set up... :)

Thanks Marvin, it should be soon.

ricwilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build so far. I'm really hoping that you are a little more detailed with the lighting lift compared to the one you posted.

OP
OP
I

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. The actuator and the cable pulleys are scheduled for delivery today. I'll probably get started on it this weekend.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back