230 Gallon Stand Suggestions/Ideas

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, yeah. My house flooded, and damaged the stand. Waterlogged the plywood, and the 2x4s grew mold because it sat for two weeks, so I scrapped it.

I was never a huge fan of it anyways, but it came with the tank.

So I am wondering what I should replace it with. Metal? More wood? Build it around the sump, or so the sump is removable? What would y’all do if you were setting up a 230gal with a sump under the stand?

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your grief in Merritt. I've seen the flooding reports.
In your shoes, I'd look into T-bar for longer life, or just use lumber for now and expect a short life for the stands.
Who knows when the next flood will happen, and we will all over-build if convinced to do so.

I'm in lower BC (GVRD Metro Vancouver) so see your suffering, and have plans for the future for my stuff.

Go with T-Bar stuff, or something similar, to ensure the stand will hold up/be re-useable next time.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me 2x6s and 4x4s with a poly blend paint over some nice 3/4 cherry, siliconed seams inside so it’s built to last

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would something like that go together? Bolts or welding? What sort of material thickness? I’d be very concerned about using aluminum for something so heavy.
It just bolts together. It's actually very, very strong. Cade, Red Sea and Waterbox all offer aluminum stands as well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back