240 gallon build

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not get the dual reactor. Terrible design. You need to be able to independently control the flow of each.

I would look into using bio pellets as well. Simply based on cost effectiveness and less work changing out the media.

OP
OP
Volitans67

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...it almost happened last night. No not getting salty, but me losing my mind and questioning the sanity of this whole project. I know everyone goes through that and I talked with my friends Jack and Jim (sorry Jose) and came back down to earth. Good news is I also ordered an apex and two reactors. Will have to wait most likely until after Christmas for the bio reactor, but the good news is I have a really awesome tank full of freshwater! :high5:

Btw, what's all this white stuff on the ground??

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely took on a huge project, which I commend you for! There will be growing pains throughout the whole process as well. Trust me, I was ready to pull the plug on the 120 not that long ago. But, in due time and with a little work and patience, and a lot of encouragement from the club my tank looks better than it ever has. We all go through the phase of wanting to give up. But, you've worked so hard and put a lot of resources into this project that I'd hate to see it go South on you now. You're so close man!!! Hang in there and it will all be worth it soon.

That white stuff outside is what Tennessee refers to as "death falling from the sky". Us Northern folk refer to that as a "dusting of snow". Nothing to panic about, go about your day. LOL

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...it almost happened last night. No not getting salty, but me losing my mind and questioning the sanity of this whole project. I know everyone goes through that and I talked with my friends Jack and Jim (sorry Jose) and came back down to earth. Good news is I also ordered an apex and two reactors. Will have to wait most likely until after Christmas for the bio reactor, but the good news is I have a really awesome tank full of freshwater! :high5:

Btw, what's all this white stuff on the ground??

went trough the same thing with the 185g it almost got sold before finishing.. but i'm happy i stuck it out with the encouragement of some friends also....

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I just have to know, what could get you to the breaking point, BEFORE you have a tank full of fish and corals? Usually it's an outbreak of AEFW or Crypto that brings a man to his knees, but this is quite early in the game! Stay positive, this is going to be an awesome tank!! :)

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, you're so close! :) Can't wait to see this thing up and running!

Brandon

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...it almost happened last night. No not getting salty, but me losing my mind and questioning the sanity of this whole project. I know everyone goes through that and I talked with my friends Jack and Jim (sorry Jose) and came back down to earth. Good news is I also ordered an apex and two reactors.

You are going to have an amazing tank real soon ... just keep Jack and Jim close through the hard parts and pull in Jose' if you need more support. Can't wait to see the progression.

oceanlife83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tagging along. Read the entire thread last night to just get up to date. I have a 240 gallon I am in the process of building as well. I have the drains plumbed so far.. And the return lines somewhat plumbed. I am curious what protein skimmer you are going to use? I may have missed it in the thread or just having a brain fart. I have looked at several options just not sure which I want to go with it.

OP
OP
Volitans67

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies if it came off as giving up, certainly not the case. I am and always will be a saltwater junkie! It was moreso a brief case of what in the world have I gotten myself into haha! One of the things I love about this hobby (read addiction) is that it is impossible to stop learning. Even after all the fish only and small tanks I've had, taking on something like this has had me feeling like a total noob, mostly in a good way! Can't say thanks enough to all the club folks that have helped show me how to do things and set things up the right way. Anyway, no worries on me filling this thing back up with guppies :focus:

You definitely took on a huge project, which I commend you for! There will be growing pains throughout the whole process as well. Trust me, I was ready to pull the plug on the 120 not that long ago. But, in due time and with a little work and patience, and a lot of encouragement from the club my tank looks better than it ever has. We all go through the phase of wanting to give up. But, you've worked so hard and put a lot of resources into this project that I'd hate to see it go South on you now. You're so close man!!! Hang in there and it will all be worth it soon.

That white stuff outside is what Tennessee refers to as "death falling from the sky". Us Northern folk refer to that as a "dusting of snow". Nothing to panic about, go about your day. LOL
Thanks for the encouragement man, definitely in the home stretch now. Hopefully I can finally brave the outer doors once this snow pack get's below avalanche levels.

went trough the same thing with the 185g it almost got sold before finishing.. but i'm happy i stuck it out with the encouragement of some friends also....
I know I'm happy you did, that freakin tank is amazing!

What's another $800 for a controller and some reactors? It's just money!:fear:
Remind me to bring you to Vegas next time I go!

That's my motto anyway. Can't take it to the grave.
Remind me to have you come with Chris and I to Vegas.

Hey there, I just have to know, what could get you to the breaking point, BEFORE you have a tank full of fish and corals? Usually it's an outbreak of AEFW or Crypto that brings a man to his knees, but this is quite early in the game! Stay positive, this is going to be an awesome tank!! :)
Thankfully not a breaking point, just a sanity check and a chuckle on how much we do for our boxes of water. No stopping now, but remind me of that when I do get an outbreak of AEFW or Crypto haha!

Dude, you're so close! :) Can't wait to see this thing up and running!

Brandon
It wouldnt be right to not have your sister tank up and running with me right? Stoked yours is going inside this weekend!

You are going to have an amazing tank real soon ... just keep Jack and Jim close through the hard parts and pull in Jose' if you need more support. Can't wait to see the progression.
Thanks kindly! I'm thinking the next time Jack and Jim come hang out it will be in celebration.

I am tagging along. Read the entire thread last night to just get up to date. I have a 240 gallon I am in the process of building as well. I have the drains plumbed so far.. And the return lines somewhat plumbed. I am curious what protein skimmer you are going to use? I may have missed it in the thread or just having a brain fart. I have looked at several options just not sure which I want to go with it.
Thanks for following! I went with the SRO XP5000INT. I also am going to try the auto neck cleaner just for fun and see how it does, but I went with this one since I'm running the 100g sump out in the garage. All the good advice I received said to get something around this size, will certainly keep posting how it works out.

OP
OP
Volitans67

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not what I had planned on but 2 reactors showed up!
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1386894336.625785.jpg

Waiting on the apex to show up and the 18 heaters in my sump to get everything up to temp.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!

What wattage heaters did you decide to use?

Brandon

OP
OP
Volitans67

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!

What wattage heaters did you decide to use?

Brandon
Ive got a 300, a 250, a 150, and just put in an 800 to try and get it to 77-78. Fishnfrags was nice enough to lend me some to test run what I will need. Once I'm up to temp, I'm going to try an 800 with a 500/800 backup. Turns out this is a lot of water to heat haha!

Btw, I've been doing bicep curls in prep for sunday.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, man! That's hardcore! And scares me a little for my tank... Haha! Wonder if insulating some of the pipe under your house would help?

And glad to know you'll be ready on Sunday! Haha!!

Brandon

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back