240g Miracles Build By PMG

Have you decided what fish and corals will go in it?
The tank will be 95% SPS, and below is a list of fish currently in the tank. I probably won't be adding many more fish (please don't quote me on that) lol


Achilles Tang
Red Sea Purple Tang
Magnificent Fox-face
Australian Harlequin Tusk
(2) Black and White Clowns
(3) Lyretail Anthias
(2) Pajama Cardinals
 
Subscribed! I will be ordering a Miracles tank in the near future, between 180g and 240g. Can you explain your decision to "not" go with a rimless? I am curious, as I was kicking around a rimless this time, but I do love the euro-bracing of my Oceanic Tech tank. I would just like to hear your pro's and con's of rimless. Thanks in advance! Fantastic build so far.
 
Subscribed! I will be ordering a Miracles tank in the near future, between 180g and 240g. Can you explain your decision to "not" go with a rimless? I am curious, as I was kicking around a rimless this time, but I do love the euro-bracing of my Oceanic Tech tank. I would just like to hear your pro's and con's of rimless. Thanks in advance! Fantastic build so far.
I didn't go with a rimless for a few reasons. Mostly because I don't like how almost every time you stick your arm down in the tank water inevitably ends up running down the front of the glass. I know that happens often with any tank, but it was almost a given with my past rimless tanks. I also just really like the nice clean look of the polished euro brace. It makes a great armrest, shelf, and maybe has even stopped a fish or two from jumping. I'm also just a little hesitant to build a tank this big rimless and expect it to last. That's a lot of stress, and probably more deflection and distortion in the front viewing pane then I would want. Oh... and it probably would have cost a lot more :)
 
The tank will be 95% SPS, and below is a list of fish currently in the tank. I probably won't be adding many more fish (please don't quote me on that) lol


Achilles Tang
Red Sea Purple Tang
Magnificent Fox-face
Australian Harlequin Tusk
(2) Black and White Clowns
(3) Lyretail Anthias
(2) Pajama Cardinals

!!!!! Achilles tang is my most favorite fish ever!!!!!! That is awesome!

I also like the harlequin tusks, pajama cardinals are so neat
 
Thanks for the immediate response! Points well taken and I think I will follow your advice and save some cash myself!! With the glass euro-bracing, it virtually looks rimless anyways ;) Again beautiful build!!
 
!!!!! Achilles tang is my most favorite fish ever!!!!!! That is awesome!

I also like the harlequin tusks, pajama cardinals are so neat
The Achilles was a fish I always wanted, but was always hesitant to add one to an established tank with other tangs, or I just never came across a healthy specimen. This was a perfect opportunity.
The tusk is a beautiful fish, but comes with some sacrifices in a reef tank. The Tidal Gardens greenhouse has had a harlequin tusk for awhile now, and it's just one of the coolest fish to watch. I finally came to the conclusion that this was a fish I would make the sacrifices for, and so far it's worked out.
 
The tank will be 95% SPS, and below is a list of fish currently in the tank. I probably won't be adding many more fish (please don't quote me on that) lol


Achilles Tang
Red Sea Purple Tang
Magnificent Fox-face
Australian Harlequin Tusk
(2) Black and White Clowns
(3) Lyretail Anthias
(2) Pajama Cardinals

I'm glad to see a minimalistic approach with your fantastic fish choices!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
 
So no video updates since May 4, 2013 you must have something now. Even just video of the fish swimming around would be good :)
 
So no video updates since May 4, 2013 you must have something now. Even just video of the fish swimming around would be good :)
The video we shot of the tank yesterday is being post processed now and should be up soon.
I wanted the tank to get through the ugly diatom phase before we shot another video.
 
The Achilles was a fish I always wanted, but was always hesitant to add one to an established tank with other tangs, or I just never came across a healthy specimen. This was a perfect opportunity.
The tusk is a beautiful fish, but comes with some sacrifices in a reef tank. The Tidal Gardens greenhouse has had a harlequin tusk for awhile now, and it's just one of the coolest fish to watch. I finally came to the conclusion that this was a fish I would make the sacrifices for, and so far it's worked out.

Great choices! I can't wait to see the video!

I understand the willingness to make sacrifices for a fish. I have a green spotted puffer in my reef tank. So, I can't have any tube worms, or invertebrates other than certain species of hermit crab and hardy snails. He is fine with all my corals though so we are all good! I remember the first time he sampled a zoanthid haha! He zipped around the tank probably 100 times and ran I to a bunch of stuff. Must have been trippy! Hahaha :)

It's really worth it if you enjoy the fish. The sacrifices you have to make are small compared to the joy you will get from watching him :D
 
Love the build! Did you guys build the poly sump and refugium yourself, or did you have them made by someone?
 
I love the look. I'm actually thinking of downsizing to a little smaller, higher end rimless, or Euro braced tank from my AGA 210. Your stand unit is similar to what I have in mind, only I'm thinking floor to ceiling on the ends in about 14' of wall space. I was in the area last week so I took the opportunity to attend MACNA on Sunday and filled my head with some cool ideas! More immediately I need to organize my wiring better and love your clean look, what is the gray organizer thing called? Any chance of a link? Thanks!
 
Looks good can't wait to see whats next! Thank You for sharing the Video update :)



Coral-Dreams-UltraAqua-Signature_zps8b93ba09.gif
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new