24X24X20 Chalice Palace

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahahahahahahahahahahah for sure people pick those things up... it's like a wheres waldo book any more:tongue: i remember someone seeing a stalker in ricks tank haha

OP
OP
Dave3112

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is glass, use glass to make the over flow. Thats what I did, it seems to adhere better & will give you a stonger overflow. I then siliconed the black acylic over the top of the glass to conceal all the plumbing. Sorry, I dont have any pict's avail right now of the completed project. All these photo's were just left overs in my phone 8 months ago.

Will I not be able to silicone the acrylic to the glass? It worked in my sump? I am confused. I know that acrylic bonds to acrylic by a chemical reaction actually "melting" the two pieces together. But I thought silicone was a physical bond and while not as strong it would still be able to hold up. If I'm mistaken please correct me so I can do this right!!

five O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be better off using glass to glass, acrylic to acrylic in opinion. There is really no stress or weight on a baffle in a sump. The coast to coast overflow just kinda floats up there. You need to ensure that you have a good bond. The glass is cheap. I think I spent $15 for my pieces of glass.

OP
OP
Dave3112

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be better off using glass to glass, acrylic to acrylic in opinion. There is really no stress or weight on a baffle in a sump. The coast to coast overflow just kinda floats up there. You need to ensure that you have a good bond. The glass is cheap. I think I spent $15 for my pieces of glass.

Inside the tank silicone will work fwiw if it came off no harm no foul... Just use a good quality silicone like rtv 108..

Thanks for the insight, guys! I will look into the glass local and see what it's gonna cost me. Shouldn't be too bad. As for the acrylic I already ordered, I well just have to use it to practice bonding acrylic and maybe one day I can build my own sump exactly the way I want it.........

OP
OP
Dave3112

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, as soon as it begins it has to be put on hold. I just found out today I leave on Aug. 1 to go to Germany for the next 6-8 weeks. I will post any updates to the project that I do between now and then but There probably won't be many. I want to spend as much time with my family before I head out. Hopefully I will have internet access over there and I can keep up with all of the things going on on here. The plus side is I should have more expendable income to throw into this build :)

five O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a good time to stock pile some cash, plus you can buy all your equiptment while your gone. It will be like a reef christmas when you get home.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back