29g Biocube Filtration?

rhyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Coralife 29 gallon Biocube a couple days ago and wanted to see how other people have their filtration set up.

Right now there are a bunch of bio balls, some filter floss, and what looks to be a few bags of carbon. This is my first time owning a tank like this where you add your own filter media. I have always used canister or HOB filters in the past. I have no idea how long the current filter media has been there so I thought it would be a good idea to replace it.

I previously bought a Biocube protein skimmer and was wondering if I should put that in the back somewhere as well? All I have in my bare bottom tank at the moment is my breeding pair of clowns and their flowerpot. I'm adding some dry rock tomorrow.

I don't plan on adding any other fish because I don't want to disturb the clownfish breeding process, but is there any other things I should add to their breeding environment? Clean up crew? Live rock? coral? anemone? substrate? powerhead? other equipment?

Thanks

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look at the media basket at Intank,LLC. I think you'll like it.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many hobbyists just use the stock carbon pad for mechanical filtration and then fill the middle chamber with Matrix Bio Media and are successful. Because of my relatively high bioload, I use white/blue filter floss in the stock tray and have also added some Marine Pure spheres to the middle chamber along with Purigen and Chemi-pure Blue. I've been very happy with the resulting water chemistry.

OP
OP
rhyan

rhyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many hobbyists just use the stock carbon pad for mechanical filtration and then fill the middle chamber with Matrix Bio Media and are successful. Because of my relatively high bioload, I use white/blue filter floss in the stock tray and have also added some Marine Pure spheres to the middle chamber along with Purigen and Chemi-pure Blue. I've been very happy with the resulting water chemistry.

I've got Purigen and Chemi-pure (that's what I load my Fluval G6 mechanical cartridge with), but in this sort of setup, how do you contain it? Do you use nylon bags or some other sort of container? Sorry if that's a dumb question haha I'm just new to this type of filtration.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chemi Pure Blue 5.5 oz. already comes in a nylon bag which I place on the middle chamber second shelf of the stock basket, and I use a 180 micron nylon bag which Seachem sells for the Purigen, also placing it there. To minimize detritus build-up in the Marine Pure and Matrix which hangs in a bag attached to the bottom of the second shelf I use a nylon bag which allows a lot of flow and rinse it in used water occasionally. https://www.amazon.com/CNZ-Universa...=1492297122&sr=8-2&keywords=filter+media+bags
A lot of different combinations of media are used, of course; this is just what works for me in a Biocube 32.

Good luck

Last edited:

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the INtank media baskets mentioned above, I made my own with same dimensions. The following thread was started by me in 2014 for a nano contest on R2R. It's kind of lengthy but shows the upgrades I did to it. I upgraded the skimmer from the air stone powered skimmer to an aquatic life 115, in chamber 1. Went with rapidLED retro for BC29. Tank is still running and doing great!
Rjramos 29 gal biocube

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?posts/1932461/

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back