29g nano reef planning

fiddledragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on updating the title as my planning gets fleshed out.

Background and thoughts

My current plan is to build out an Aqueon 29g standard tank. This is my first saltwater tank, and I'm a little nervous about going with anything smaller than 50g - but space, time, and money constraints mean that I'm looking at this as a compromise. I'm seeing a ton of great examples with even smaller setups, but - I think this will work.

My setup will be in my office in a built out basement. It never gets super cold or super hot there, and I have a perfect wall that's out of the way of drafts, has some natural light, but nothing direct. Ie., perfect for a tank. I wasn't planning on a sump - at least to start. I was originally thinking a canister (I know) - but will likely end up with an HOB.

I don't want to go out and buy everything to have it sit, so I'm looking to pick up the absolute necessities first, then add on requirements as they come up:

Questions
1) Do I need both a filter and a skimmer? I don't feel like I've gotten a good answer to this question
2) What is the bare minimum I need in order to set up the tank so I can start cycling (I'm planning on a month to cycle before I introduce any biostock - LTS, softies, CUC, or fish - and then will be introducing them slowly)?
  1. tank
  2. stand
  3. skimmer/filter/both? (Can I start with a skimmer and add a filter or vice versa?)
  4. wave-maker/pump (Or can I wait on this?)
  5. live rock/live sand (Yes, I could start with bare rock, and have been inspired here, but....for the first time?)
  6. Aqueon Pro 150W heater
  7. RODI system (I could start with distilled water, but that seems like awfully expensive only to need to maintain - figure this is an early expense that makes sense)
  8. 5g bucket
Down the road:
  • I plan on getting an Aquamaxx reef light, but not for a while based on my reading - let things cycle for a bit first.
  • Maybe a screen - definitely not a glass top
  • ATO

Last edited:

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 29g, 30x12x18, is a good starting tank, but I'd suggest the 40g breeder, 36x18x16. The 40g breeder tank will give a little more volume and a lot more surface area (more gallons and more surface area equals more space for fish/corals). Also you can normally get them new for around $60 when on sale. You can choose live rock or dry rock you just need to be patient with the cycle and slow stocking your fish. Once you have the rock you could any local reefers for a cup of sand to help with diversity. You will definitely need one or two wavemakers depending on size to start. In a tank without a sump the wavemakers serve many different purposes. It is used to break the surface tension on the water to help with oxygenation and gassing off CO2 . Wavemakers also move the water past whatever corals you have so they can feed and expel waste. Once your tank is cycled your rock will be your filter, so an additional filter or skimmer is not needed but they do make things easier. I have always leaned towards a skimmer rather than a filter when not using a sump

The tanks I've ran without sumps (40g breeder, 20g long, 15g) i have always used wavemakers and skimmers for filtration. In my opinion the skimmer really helps with nutrient control and gives a little more wiggle room in smaller volumes of water. I have tried running without a skimmer and using a hang on filter but i was always bothered by the protean layer that accumulates on the waters surface.

If you are just starting out and not sure if this will be a long term hobby then I'd suggest getting your water from your LFS. Once you are settled in and know you are going to stick around then buy and RO/DI unit. Also you will need at least a few 5g buckets or some type of larger containers. A lot of people use rubbermade brute trash cans. You will need one to hold topoff water, one to mix sw, one to drain old tank water to..... the uses go on forever.......

Good Luck post lots of questions and pictures.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice above. A skimmer and wave makers would be just fine, though I would add a small power filter just for mechanical filtration and for a place to put some carbon/purigen/filter media.

I would suggest live rock over dry rock, or at least seeding dry rock with 10% live rock. Getting some sand from a fellow reefer will get you some biodiversity, but you won’t get any of the larger microfauna and encrusting organisms that will help you to avoid a prolonged ugly/nuisance algae phase.

I would also recommend getting a different light, the light you linked is really only for fish-only tanks, it also wouldn’t provide enough coverage for a 29 or 40 gallon tank. Both of those sizes would require two puck style lights or a strip light (which are generally under powered and most people regret purchasing them once they really get into keeping corals). If you’re looking for budget options, I would look into two aquaknight/reef breeders lights, a single Noopsyche V3 140 watt (you’d need two on a 40g), or slightly more expensive, two AI Prime 16hds. It’s really best to buy decent lighting up front than to buy something underpowered and end up replacing it a couple months in.

Personally, I would just get an RODI unit from the start. It’s much cheaper and more convenient than getting water from an LFS. It’s unreliable, and a lot of LFS don’t change their filters as often as they should and sell salt water that has salinity that is either too high or too low. You can get a 50gpd RO buddy from Amazon for $60, which is adequate for a 29 or 40g tank. You’ll also need a pressure gauge and a TDS meter (each around $10). You’ll also need a minimum of 3 5 gallon buckets, a couple buckets and a couple 10g brute trash cans (with lids) would be better.

And lastly, if you’re planning on keeping corals, you need a full battery of test kits. You’ll need Alk, Cal, Nitrates, Phosphates, Mag, and PH. IMO, these are not optional, and you should get them before getting any corals (avoid API brand or test strips, Salifert are budget friendly and accurate). You’ll also need a refractometer (avoid swing arm hydrometers).

It sounds like you’ve done quite a bit of research and are taking things slow which is excellent. Just continue to research and make deliberate, non-impulsive decisions, and you’ll have a successful reef before you know it.

OP
OP
fiddledragon

fiddledragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - so...

I have an Aqueon 29g tank - it's really what fits my space best (picture!). Tank will be going along the right wall. The sun never hits that wall, and an aluminum stand to go under it. I spend most of my time in this area, so I'm really trying to make it my refuge - terrestrial plants and aquascape are key to this :) (I really should paint, but that's not happening soon)

I didn't get live rock this morning because I'm just not there yet, but I did pick up bags of live sand as they're not going to go to waste, and some dry rock (will seed with live!)

I'm looking at this skimmer:

RODI system, salt, refractometer, TDS meter are all on the way

We have buckets that we can dedicate to this effort

Thinking of 1-2 Sicce Voyager Nano 1000 Stream Pump (will probably pick up 1 today and another one in a couple of weeks - in either case well before I add anything but rock/sand to the tank!)

Full reef test kits were already on the list (Thank you for the rec against ATI), but will be coming closer to when I start (I have an initial seed budget and a monthly budget, and I'm planning around all of that :) )

271850169_10224539862496631_5668077542495773604_n.jpg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - so...

I have an Aqueon 29g tank - it's really what fits my space best (picture!). Tank will be going along the right wall. The sun never hits that wall, and an aluminum stand to go under it. I spend most of my time in this area, so I'm really trying to make it my refuge - terrestrial plants and aquascape are key to this :) (I really should paint, but that's not happening soon)

I didn't get live rock this morning because I'm just not there yet, but I did pick up bags of live sand as they're not going to go to waste, and some dry rock (will seed with live!)

I'm looking at this skimmer:

RODI system, salt, refractometer, TDS meter are all on the way

We have buckets that we can dedicate to this effort

Thinking of 1-2 Sicce Voyager Nano 1000 Stream Pump (will probably pick up 1 today and another one in a couple of weeks - in either case well before I add anything but rock/sand to the tank!)

Full reef test kits were already on the list (Thank you for the rec against ATI), but will be coming closer to when I start (I have an initial seed budget and a monthly budget, and I'm planning around all of that :) )

271850169_10224539862496631_5668077542495773604_n.jpg

Sicce makes great pumps, but I would recommend getting pumps that are controllable. Being able to provide random or pulsing flow is much better than direct laminar flow. If you do go with a something like the sicce pumps you mentioned, I would get two and direct them so that their flows intersect which will help create some random indirect flow.

OP
OP
fiddledragon

fiddledragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do go with a something like the sicce pumps you mentioned, I would get two and direct them so that their flows intersect which will help create some random indirect flow.
that was actually the plan - but I'll take a look at programmable ones - this was precisely why I'm staggering purchases, and hopefully moving some aspects of the build forward if there are any supply chain issues

OP
OP
fiddledragon

fiddledragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I go with a programmable one, can I get away with a single one? Ie., yes, they're more expensive, but if I can mitigate the cost by going with one instead of 2 of the Sicce pumps, it's not that much of a jump

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I go with a programmable one, can I get away with a single one? Ie., yes, they're more expensive, but if I can mitigate the cost by going with one instead of 2 of the Sicce pumps, it's not that much of a jump
You could definitely start with one, a good budget friendly option is the Jebao SLW series. I would go with the 20 or 30 for your tank, I have a 28 gallon tank and am running the 20 and it’s adequate (but I also have a small 90gph pump behind my rockwork and my return pumps are another 256-512gph depending on if I alternate or run both). If you also have a HOB skimmer/power filter, I would think one 20 or 30 would be adequate unless you’re going SPS dominant.

OP
OP
fiddledragon

fiddledragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! No - I'm focusing on LPS/Softies for this tank. This is my learning tank. I've already planted the seed that I'll want more/bigger tanks, but not in this house, not at this point in time (we have a big house with lots of tiny rooms :p)

OP
OP
fiddledragon

fiddledragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh - another question.

I have some rock - certainly not 25-29 lbs of rock (more like about 8-10lbs). (and I still need to get some seed rock). Can I add to my aquascape later?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh - another question.

I have some rock - certainly not 25-29 lbs of rock (more like about 8-10lbs). (and I still need to get some seed rock). Can I add to my aquascape later?
Yes, you can add to it later, though the less rock you have the less you can stock the tank, with 8-10lbs I would only stock 1, maybe 2 fish. And when you do stock more, let it ‘cure’ for a few weeks before adding to your bioload.

OP
OP
fiddledragon

fiddledragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's update:

My RODI system arrived today. It comes with a handy dandy adapter that fits most kitchen sinks and outdoor spigots.

I have a bathroom downstairs - neither the sink faucet nor the showerhead have fittings that match the adapter.
So there will be a trip to Lowe's.

I can move water using a pot or pan, because there is zero chance I'm lugging around a 5g bucket even the couple of feet to the tank.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that was a disaster - RODI system assembled according to their instructions and it leaks ALL over the place from every fitting.
You didn’t assemble it properly then, I’ve used this exact model, and it doesn’t leak. Did you insert the tubes all the way and then put the little clips in? Did you insert the membrane all the way/correctly? Did you put a pressure gauge on it? You don’t want to turn the water on all the way, 60psi on my kitchen sink is just barely turning it on. There should be just a little trickle coming out of the filtered water tube.

OP
OP
fiddledragon

fiddledragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn’t assemble it properly then, I’ve used this exact model, and it doesn’t leak. Did you insert the tubes all the way and then put the little clips in? Did you insert the membrane all the way/correctly? Did you put a pressure gauge on it? You don’t want to turn the water on all the way, 60psi on my kitchen sink is just barely turning it on. There should be just a little trickle coming out of the filtered water tube.
Yep! I inserted the tubes, felt the click, pulled back, then put the little clips in - they're super secure, and I can't get them back out.

I was to the point of letting water run through it for a half hour - before they tell me to insert the membrane - so the membrane's not there yet.

I don't have a pressure gauge, that I couldn't find, but I definitely didn't turn it on all the way - I've got it going barely a trickle.

But thank you for confirming that I probably set it up incorrectly somewhere - I swear I felt like I was being gaslit by all the reviews!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! I inserted the tubes, felt the click, pulled back, then put the little clips in - they're super secure, and I can't get them back out.

I was to the point of letting water run through it for a half hour - before they tell me to insert the membrane - so the membrane's not there yet.

I don't have a pressure gauge, that I couldn't find, but I definitely didn't turn it on all the way - I've got it going barely a trickle.

But thank you for confirming that I probably set it up incorrectly somewhere - I swear I felt like I was being gaslit by all the reviews!
The pressure gauge you have to buy separately. If the tubes and little clips are all inserted correctly, the only thing I could think that would cause it to leak would be too much pressure.

OP
OP
fiddledragon

fiddledragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pressure gauge you have to buy separately. If the tubes and little clips are all inserted correctly, the only thing I could think that would cause it to leak would be too much pressure.
Pressure gauge will come soon - in the meantime, I figured out how to reset all the tubes, and leaking is fixed. *phew*.

Now I just need to hope this little system is up to the challenge of my town's water (water from the tap is > 250ppm) :p

OP
OP
fiddledragon

fiddledragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

As supplies come in, I've been setting things up. Today I was able to start getting saltwater in the tank, and once salinity was good (per refractometer after calibration with calibration fluid, not RODI). I added the live stand and I'm currently letting things settle.

I have rock coming tomorrow, and will be adding live rock tomorrow and marcorock/life rock probaby over the weekend. Then....it sits for 4 weeks. I'll start checking water quality (other than salinity in order to keep that stable) in a few days after things settle.

Not even thinking about animals for a few weeks yet. I mean, I AM - and thinking about what to put in there first, but I won't be looking to buy them for another month.

Back