2yr old emptied a tub of flakes into reef tank

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did they manage to do that mate haha and there was an odd smell near the tank lastnight that just have been ammonia, I will try and get some biospira thankyou
My wife was mad at me. And she’d been drinking when she did it. She did it on purpose. I was very p*ssed off at her. She had no clue what damage she had done by dumping that much food in my tank. Dang near grounds for divorce. I told her, that would be like me going out and shooting your dog because I’m angry with you. Was not a good day. I’m sorry for your losses. That really sucks man. Hope things get better.

OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife was mad at me. And she’d been drinking when she did it. She did it on purpose. I was very p*ssed off at her. She had no clue what damage she had done by dumping that much food in my tank. Dang near grounds for divorce. I told her, that would be like me going out and shooting your dog because I’m angry with you. Was not a good day. I’m sorry for your losses. That really sucks man. Hope things get better.
Wow I'm suprised she isn't your ex wife haha you must have a lot of patience, on my way home from work now dreading what I will come home too

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow I'm suprised she isn't your ex wife haha you must have a lot of patience, on my way home from work now dreading what I will come home too
Let us know.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck!

I had an auto feeder mishap on a 20g years ago. Was gone for a weekend and it dumped a ton of pellets. I lost everything in the tank but the corals: 3 fish, 2 shrimp, snails.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck!

I had an auto feeder mishap on a 20g years ago. Was gone for a weekend and it dumped a ton of pellets. I lost everything in the tank but the corals: 3 fish, 2 shrimp, snails.
I had a neighbor feed my fish for 2 weeks when I was out of town. Over fed and never turned the light out. You literally could not see through the glass from the hair algae. 100% of everything was covered. You would think that they would realize something was going wrong somewhere along the line. Time for some new everything (Except fish).

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s regenerate that gha tank though vs restart it, from eutrophication right back into total control let’s do. Saves cash, fun to work from afar

we would take it apart, separate animals from rocks and sand, clean sand, kill algae off rocks, re assemble a cloudless clean skip cycle setup with the prior animals, no bottle bac.

OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know.
So I got home to everything still alive but struggling to swim and lathargic, tested water and it was 2.0 ammo, 2.0nitrite and about 20 Nitrate so I done a 50% water change and 15mins after I done it everything was active and happy. Come home today to 1.0 ammo, 2.0 nitrate and 40-60 nitrate... How much water should I change now I'm thinking another 50% but I feel I'm changing too much too often or is this ok?

OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck!

Ahh too bad man what did you lose

OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s regenerate that gha tank though vs restart it, from eutrophication right back into total control let’s do. Saves cash, fun to work from afar

we would take it apart, separate animals from rocks and sand, clean sand, kill algae off rocks, re assemble a cloudless clean skip cycle setup with the prior animals, no bottle bac.
To be honest I've been suffering from hair algae before this and started to get a grip on it and the tank was getting better everyday then this happened... Kick in the nuts :rolleyes:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotcha agreed. ill tell you a fun game though

if you don't mind posting a tank pic or messaging one I bet in 2 mins I can find a nearly identical setup and algae mode we fixed no joke our rolls are that long on the matter.

its a method of cleaning, not water dosing. Its a mode of taking apart a reef, cleaning it in a way you haven't done before, and when you set it back up there's no algae because we killed it all during the surgery. the cleaning portion, total cleaning of sand and rocks, robs the gha of its feed. we then lower the lighting from current outputs and adjust up the blues and down the whites.

all fish and corals skip cycle back into the clean tank.

you'd be surprised how many thousands of tanks can be logged for gha fixes without ever asking for a param measurement.

folks who track web post threads can see that in any test kit comparison post the results vary wildly between different test kits even on the same sample.

that means when we're reading someones sworn params posted in algae threads, any other test kit would likely just report something 50 ppm different up or down.

action, planned action is what works nearly always. we have the before and after pics :)

OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotcha agreed. ill tell you a fun game though

if you don't mind posting a tank pic or messaging one I bet in 2 mins I can find a nearly identical setup and algae mode we fixed no joke our rolls are that long on the matter.

its a method of cleaning, not water dosing. Its a mode of taking apart a reef, cleaning it in a way you haven't done before, and when you set it back up there's no algae because we killed it all during the surgery. the cleaning portion, total cleaning of sand and rocks, robs the gha of its feed. we then lower the lighting from current outputs and adjust up the blues and down the whites.

all fish and corals skip cycle back into the clean tank.

you'd be surprised how many thousands of tanks can be logged for gha fixes without ever asking for a param measurement.

folks who track web post threads can see that in any test kit comparison post the results vary wildly between different test kits even on the same sample.

that means when we're reading someones sworn params posted in algae threads, any other test kit would likely just report something 50 ppm different up or down.

action, planned action is what works nearly always. we have the before and after pics :)
Help us out then buddy, I'm going to do a large water change now so probably best time to do it.. I have to scrape the glass daily and plucked all the gha a couple days ago.

Attachments

• 16183323984503491795026349150181.jpg
    16183323984503491795026349150181.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 16183324429476234583109868413694.jpg
    16183324429476234583109868413694.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 16183324875618290579926061079962.jpg
    16183324875618290579926061079962.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 50

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wonderful. we can make a huge dent in that within 48 hours to the point at least one portion looks totally tame. if we like that area we can upscale and if dedicated we can rip clean the tank. nothing major has to be initiated currently.

The lighting hue and intensity fits prior predicted patterning we gotta lower that intensity, that's full on sps intensity levels but the open reflective rock scape is selecting for common reef plants. if it were rows of coral abutting, like thick grass, that physically edges out algae via coral flesh

no algae grows on coral flesh I can recall, zoanthids don't count. its not about your water params, natural reefs would grow way more algae than that were it not for grazers. yours is an issue of allowance only, that's a good match for our work threads. you have open room there to work with, nice.

bluing it up and reducing whites will help lots with growback management.

plus we get to do harmless test modeling before we go ripping into the tank

we can see in easy steps whether or not this works. I'd promised a pic in two mins :)

yours is such a low grade invasion ill have to use someone who was far worse off but gotta admit rockscape is darn similar lol

Reefmiser, the guy who showed me peroxide trick on nano-reef.com in 2011 before:

imageproxy.jpeg.jpg

and after surgery:

imageproxy.jpeg-1.jpg

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
digging for RM's pics Ill list a single test rock step here below:

lift out one of the big rocks set it in your kitchen sink.

use a steak knife to surgically and with precision scrape/dislodge all the algae. with your knife :) next time we wont be waiting this long. This is you moving into a new home where the prior tenants haven't mowed the lawn previous 4 seasons. catch up time

be pouring saltwater over the rocks, algae down the drain. detail the whole rock. washed off in saltwater, sitting in your sink is harmless even if this had brain corals stuck to it, we do this all the time.

once the rock has been dentist handled, spray or dribble peroxide common 3% across most of it, on the clean spots. this burns algae holdfasts you missed with the knife. after a couple mins contact, rinse that off with saltwater and set back one heck of a clean tooth in that reef mouth above.

-this does not recycle the rock, it is specifically not killing your filter bac on that rock though it seems we have. It hasn't, we've tested this ten years.

-that job might be terrible and or too big to upscale, still do the one rock. Always have at least one rock you command vs get commanded by, it can tell you as it sits there all kinds of info about your growback rates, feed coming up from a dirty sandbed, lighting hues etc.

welcome to huge posts and even better work threads, but fixing that tank will be easy. scraping rocks is a fifth of the trick, cleaning your whole tank is what actually helps the growback + the lighting trick. Its not in your params here, we don't need to know them.

here are the hundreds of rip cleans promised. in this one link is sub linked a 65 page thread from nano-reef.com, a 65 page thread from reefcentral on the above steps, our 31 pager at rtr, and they're all just like above.

Last edited:

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're running a skimmer it should pull most of that out. look at it like a carbon dose. keep an eye on your numbers for a couple days and your clean up crew should do the rest.

OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
digging for RM's pics Ill list a single test rock step here below:

lift out one of the big rocks set it in your kitchen sink.

use a steak knife to surgically and with precision scrape/dislodge all the algae. with your knife :) next time we wont be waiting this long. This is you moving into a new home where the prior tenants haven't mowed the lawn previous 4 seasons. catch up time

be pouring saltwater over the rocks, algae down the drain. detail the whole rock. washed off in saltwater, sitting in your sink is harmless even if this had brain corals stuck to it, we do this all the time.

once the rock has been dentist handled, spray or dribble peroxide common 3% across most of it, on the clean spots. this burns algae holdfasts you missed with the knife. after a couple mins contact, rinse that off with saltwater and set back one heck of a clean tooth in that reef mouth above.

-this does not recycle the rock, it is specifically not killing your filter bac on that rock though it seems we have. It hasn't, we've tested this ten years.

-that job might be terrible and or too big to upscale, still do the one rock. Always have at least one rock you command vs get commanded by, it can tell you as it sits there all kinds of info about your growback rates, feed coming up from a dirty sandbed, lighting hues etc.

welcome to huge posts and even better work threads, but fixing that tank will be easy. scraping rocks is a fifth of the trick, cleaning your whole tank is what actually helps the growback + the lighting trick. Its not in your params here, we don't need to know them.

here are the hundreds of rip cleans promised. in this one link is sub linked a 65 page thread from nano-reef.com, a 65 page thread from reefcentral on the above steps, our 31 pager at rtr, and they're all just like above.
Thanks for the info and going into such detail, my lighting is really low atm due to the spillage it is on about 8/100 white and 20/100 blue. I don't have any peroxide but how would I get the gha off the back wall glass

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotta take a wooden dowel from homie depot

and wedge a razor in a groove in the end

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I got home to everything still alive but struggling to swim and lathargic, tested water and it was 2.0 ammo, 2.0nitrite and about 20 Nitrate so I done a 50% water change and 15mins after I done it everything was active and happy. Come home today to 1.0 ammo, 2.0 nitrate and 40-60 nitrate... How much water should I change now I'm thinking another 50% but I feel I'm changing too much too often or is this ok?
Seems like you're going to need another change to decrease nitrate (at some point = only since its increasing quickly). Remember if you change 50% the nitrate will drop to 20-40 - assuming that no new nitrate is being produced. I would completely ignore nitrite readings. Remember also that between certain tests, nitrate and nitrite can interfere - and results in false positives. You can certainly do a water change - but until your ammonia is lower, you are probably causing some fish damage - assuming the test is correct. Ammonia also feeds algae.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back