3 firefish compatible

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone,
Wanted to get opinions or experience w firefish. Currently have a occellaris clown and purple firefish in main tank, had a red one also till he jumped when i went on a trip and fishsitter forgot to put lid back on.

My main tank is a jbj 28 g w a custom lid stocked w blastos and zoas w alot of live rock. Friends always noted where are the fish as the main attraction were the corals of course.

So my wife and i “rescued” 2 red firefish from petco thus ive had them qt for a month already (buying from petco is another discussion but better w me than them). Anyway, with the prolonged qt period, ive had 2nd thoughts of adding both to the main as the general searches have shown firefish dont get along and 1 will eventually triumph unless they are a mated pair (to be bad u cant figure their gender).

Has anyone had success keeping 3 or more firefish (purple and 2reds) in a nano tank? If not, then ill resign to donate both reds to a good lfs and look for another reefsafe nano candidate. Although the selection of fish is limited in my area or the wife doesnt find them cute.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No because they almost always fight. Either single or bonded pairs only.

Bonded pairs can lose their cool and go psycho from what I've read.

Now the guy from reefbuilders has 5-6 in one tank.. I think this type of fish is best kept like African Cichlids, where typically you want more than just a few, as it diffuses the aggression.

So 2-3 may be big trouble down the road -- But who knows, maybe 7-8 would be a cool little colony of them. I honestly would be very happy with a tank that had about 15-16 of these little guys. It would be great to see.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the input everyone, ima donate both fish to lfs, maybe they will give me a 2 for 1 trade of another nano reef safe fish. Too bad, they are so cute but so vicious to each other. Will one red and 1purple get along? Maybe i could try 1 red and see if he/she bonds w my purple. My purple got along my a red before but its probably cause they were in qt together and intro to main tank at same time. Anyway just answered myself, donate both

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thx for the input everyone, ima donate both fish to lfs, maybe they will give me a 2 for 1 trade of another nano reef safe fish. Too bad, they are so cute but so vicious to each other. Will one red and 1purple get along? Maybe i could try 1 red and see if he/she bonds w my purple. My purple got along my a red before but its probably cause they were in qt together and intro to main tank at same time. Anyway just answered myself, donate both
I think even the different colored ones will still fight (maybe bc of the same body type?). I'd just stick with one.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back