3 miscellaneous questions about reef aquaria

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. Water Chemistry Question: When water evaporates our tank, salt remains, that's why the higher concentration of salt and less water, hence the SG rise. Does this happen with Ca, Alk & Mg when water evaporates? Do these elements stay in the water? Normally we pour some water in to bring the SG down a bit; what effect does this RODI water has with Ca, Alk & Mg?

2. Euphyllia Garden (Forest): What can be put together as Euphyllia garden (forest)? I heard frogspawns and hammers can be put side-by-side with their polyps touching but do not put torch and elegance in the same section? is this accurate? Torch can be put only with torch; elegance can be put only with elegance; hammer can be put together with frogspawns or other hammers?

3. Feeding LPSs & Slime: When I feed goniopora, from memory, they do not go slimy whilst if I do this towards Euphyllia such as Hammers, Torches or Frogspawns, the reef roids become slimed. Has there been any evidence that Euphyllia corals do actually eat? I read a lot of threads and articles mentioned about how they eat the same food during fish feeding but I have yet to see any real evidence that show these corals do eat and benefit from it.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding LPSs & Slime: When I feed goniopora, from memory, they do not go slimy whilst if I do this towards Euphyllia such as Hammers, Torches or Frogspawns, the reef roids become slimed. Has there been any evidence that Euphyllia corals do actually eat? I read a lot of threads and articles mentioned about how they eat the same food during fish feeding but I have yet to see any real evidence that show these corals do eat and benefit from it.

Yes. All LPS corals will eat meaty foods. Acans, Euphyllia, Scollys, Welsos, Tracys, Blastos, Favias, bubble corals ect. Will all accept small meaty foods like mysis, oyster feast, even pellet food.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. All LPS corals will eat meaty foods. Acans, Euphyllia, Scollys, Welsos, Tracys, Blastos, Favias, bubble corals ect. Will all accept small meaty foods like mysis, oyster feast, even pellet food.

@melypr1985, thank you for your reply.

Can you pinpoint me to a direction where it shows how Euphyllia swallow the food in? I heard this lots ... yes All SPS corals will eat meaty food, but I'm yet convinced if they do. Not being rude, but how do you know they do? I'm challenging this.

Scolly yes, Acans yes ... what goes in, does not go out ... this is what I called positive feeding reaction... food gets ingested.

With Hammer, Torch & Frogspawns .. I see food sticking to their tentacles ... wait for 30 minutes (no flow, no return pump, no nothing) .. it stays there forever ... turn on the flow, slime (mucus) everywhere along with the food (mysis, brine, reef roids) floating all over the tank. For me, what this means .. food does not go in.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985, thank you for your reply.

Can you pinpoint me to a direction where it shows how Euphyllia swallow the food in? I heard this lots ... yes All SPS corals will eat meaty food, but I'm yet convinced if they do. Not being rude, but how do you know they do? I'm challenging this.

Scolly yes, Acans yes ... what goes in, does not go out ... this is what I called positive feeding reaction... food gets ingested.

With Hammer, Torch & Frogspawns .. I see food sticking to their tentacles ... wait for 30 minutes (no flow, no return pump, no nothing) .. it stays there forever ... turn on the flow, slime (mucus) everywhere along with the food (mysis, brine, reef roids) floating all over the tank. For me, what this means .. food does not go in.

LPS not SPS.... though I think that was a typo ;) They have a mouth in the center of each polyp or head. The tentacles will -in normal circumstances- bring the food to the center to be eaten. They will also poo occasionally. The best example was of the bubble coral I used to have. I would feed it large mysis at night. You could watch it swell up and move the mysis toward it's mouth and actually eat it. The next time I feed my euphyllia I'll try to get it on video for you. Just an aside: I almost never turn off any pumps when feeding and I've never experienced this slime event you're referring to.

Marc.The.Shark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a good example of the mouth on a torch (not my pic)
daa6e8dcf061af5fc9c4667669092528.jpg

Last edited:

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. Water Chemistry Question: When water evaporates our tank, salt remains, that's why the higher concentration of salt and less water, hence the SG rise. Does this happen with Ca, Alk & Mg when water evaporates? Do these elements stay in the water? Normally we pour some water in to bring the SG down a bit; what effect does this RODI water has with Ca, Alk & Mg?

2. Euphyllia Garden (Forest): What can be put together as Euphyllia garden (forest)? I heard frogspawns and hammers can be put side-by-side with their polyps touching but do not put torch and elegance in the same section? is this accurate? Torch can be put only with torch; elegance can be put only with elegance; hammer can be put together with frogspawns or other hammers?

3. Feeding LPSs & Slime: When I feed goniopora, from memory, they do not go slimy whilst if I do this towards Euphyllia such as Hammers, Torches or Frogspawns, the reef roids become slimed. Has there been any evidence that Euphyllia corals do actually eat? I read a lot of threads and articles mentioned about how they eat the same food during fish feeding but I have yet to see any real evidence that show these corals do eat and benefit from it.

To answer question one, yes when water evaporates, it leaves behind everything. The steam is mostly pure h20.

When the water evaporates in the tank the water gets saltier. So we need to add pure water like distilled or ro/di to maintain a constant salt level.

When the water evaporates, calcium, alk and magnesium will slowly increase. As well as all the other elements like sodium, potassium, or sulphur. Thus it gets "saltier".

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys never experienced mucus or slime released by frogspawns, hammers or torches when fed ? this has happened on every single fed that I did, be that reef roids or brine shrimp. hmmm that is interesting.

Nah, I get that, i know they have mouth. i can see it from my torch and hammer but no so much from my frogspawn. but the fact that I'm highlighting is that i have never seen they swallow food, ingest via their mouth and food stay inside.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this has happened on every single fed that I did, be that reef roids or brine shrimp. hmmm that is interesting.
it is interesting. Have any pics? Your certain its not a hitchiker?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back