• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joshua Morey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sup guys! Long story short Ive been part of the forums for awhile but I tend to just browse other threads when I have a question. Here's a condensed tour of my first reef that Ive had running about nine months. Over all I'd call it a massive learning experience and tons of fun!

Ill start this up from when I had to break down my tank for a move across town from my parents house. I wanted to set most of my system up differently as well so I used the opportunity to reorganize everything.

IMG_1287.JPG

Home made stand with an eshopps R100 as the sump.
Reef Octopus Classic 152 skimmer.

IMG_1284.JPG
IMG_1285.JPG
IMG_1286.JPG

All my live rock and livestock waiting to be moved over! Also used the opportunity to get my clowns to notice the nem. (quick fact, my anemone split and reproduced, super cool moment in the tank history)
Also featured is my little "sea lettuce" slug. He had disappeared for a couple months and I thought he was a goner. But low and behold the little guy was living in the refugium.

IMG_0843.JPG
Before the nem split

IMG_1267.JPG
IMG_1268.JPG
IMG_1269.JPG
Had an algae outbreak get pretty outta control! Tried dealing with it in the tank and it ended up getting EVERYWHERE. This was a multiple month long battle with it and I ended up just boiling my live rock and letting it dry out outside. I don't have many pics of that.

IMG_1770.JPG
IMG_1771.JPG
IMG_1772.JPG
IMG_1773.JPG
IMG_1774.JPG
IMG_1775.JPG
IMG_1776.JPG
IMG_1777.JPG
IMG_1778.JPG
IMG_1779.JPG

Here are some pics as my tank stands now. I didn't aquascape it this time around and my buddy actually made me a great offer for the whole system. Im selling it to him and putting it towards a 50 gal cube that I've been planning for a long time now. Over all I've had a ton of fun and learned the two biggest lessons from this tank; patience and planning.

Patience: I set this tank up as quickly as a I could and researched only what I needed for that specific task I needed at the time. I was able to get it to work and learned but albeit in bits and pieces which caused me to struggle with something new the whole way through.

Planning: Same as above, this time around Ive used everything I've learned to start my 50 gal cube. Ill be posting that soon as well! If anyone has any questions about this set up I'm glad to answer. Happy reefing and Happy Holidays peeps!

IMG_0503.JPG

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Make sure to head on over and grab your R2R Build Thread banner here!

How is that OceanRevive treating you? I picked up two that will be going on my frag tank and heard some great things...

Jon

OP
OP
Joshua Morey

Joshua Morey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Make sure to head on over and grab your R2R Build Thread banner here!

How is that OceanRevive treating you? I picked up two that will be going on my frag tank and heard some great things...

Jon
Hey I’ll go do that now! I was curious how people did that lol. Thanks.

The t247 is a great light...when it works. Over all I’d give it a 7/10. It’s quiet and the LEDs themselves are awesome. I only run the blues at about 40/100 and all my corals are plenty happy. Buuuut the negatives are that the built in timer is pretty much useless. That was one of the main reasons I bought this light. I don’t have a controller and having a light with a timer was key. It worked for about a month. After that it would be very sporadic. I just resorted to manually turning it on and off (not that big a deal). The mounting bracket that came out the box was terribly flimsy. I suppose that issue is solved though if you hang it. Lastly I *heard* that they aren’t programmable to be dimmed to create a sunrise and sunset loop. However I haven’t been able to test this so I don’t want to start a rumor if it’s not true!

Despite these flaws I am still happy with the quality of the lights themselves and would buy again for that alone.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I’ll go do that now! I was curious how people did that lol. Thanks.

The t247 is a great light...when it works. Over all I’d give it a 7/10. It’s quiet and the LEDs themselves are awesome. I only run the blues at about 40/100 and all my corals are plenty happy. Buuuut the negatives are that the built in timer is pretty much useless. That was one of the main reasons I bought this light. I don’t have a controller and having a light with a timer was key. It worked for about a month. After that it would be very sporadic. I just resorted to manually turning it on and off (not that big a deal). The mounting bracket that came out the box was terribly flimsy. I suppose that issue is solved though if you hang it. Lastly I *heard* that they aren’t programmable to be dimmed to create a sunrise and sunset loop. However I haven’t been able to test this so I don’t want to start a rumor if it’s not true!

Despite these flaws I am still happy with the quality of the lights themselves and would buy again for that alone.
Good to know. I'll be very disappointed if the times do not work...

As far as sunrise and sunset, there was someone who hardwired a bluefish controller to one but that is the only way. They don't have that functionality out of the box.

Ill be hanging mine and building a rail to connect the two so no worries there.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back