30 gall

Currently a noob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'd really appreciate for someone to help me. I currently have a 30 gallon fresh water fish tank with a comet and telescope goldfish that are 2 years old. I thought It would be best to come to the proffesonals for my problem. I am still learning and this is the first time I've ever had to deal with ick. I only had one dose of cupramine seachem from a friend because I am low on money very badly and I was wondering if someone could please tell me if one dose for a 30 gal is gonna be enough because I am stressing out like any other fish keeper would be if they were new to ick. I already looked online and it says it works for both freshwater and saltwater tanks but I also only have a carbon filter so I turned that off and I'm not sure if I am able to do water changes with only one dose of cupramine. I have normal tetra heater on because I heard that helps. I have already put the cupramine in the tank. I already know what chemical I need for taking the chemical out.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not an expert on this but we will see if we can get some help for you, and maybe some other members will help out as well

#reefsquad

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm terrible at fish issues as I've never really had any. Lets hope a Reef Squad member who is knowledgeable will come and help.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'd really appreciate for someone to help me. I currently have a 30 gallon fresh water fish tank with a comet and telescope goldfish that are 2 years old. I thought It would be best to come to the proffesonals for my problem. I am still learning and this is the first time I've ever had to deal with ick. I only had one dose of cupramine seachem from a friend because I am low on money very badly and I was wondering if someone could please tell me if one dose for a 30 gal is gonna be enough because I am stressing out like any other fish keeper would be if they were new to ick. I already looked online and it says it works for both freshwater and saltwater tanks but I also only have a carbon filter so I turned that off and I'm not sure if I am able to do water changes with only one dose of cupramine. I have normal tetra heater on because I heard that helps. I have already put the cupramine in the tank. I already know what chemical I need for taking the chemical out.
Turning up the heater in freshwater tanks speeds up the life cycle of Ich. So if the tank is dosed with Cupramine, the parasites will be killed quicker than if the tank is colder and their cycle is slower. Copper kills during the "free swimming" stage of the parasites.

Dosing instructions for Cupramine. Notes for freshwater in bold and color:

DIRECTIONS: Remove all invertebrates. Turn off UV sterilizer; remove chemical filtration. Use 1 mL (top mark of enclosed dispenser) per 40 L (10.5 US gallons) the first day, wait 48 hours, then repeat. In freshwater use half dose. Final copper concentration is 0.5 mg/L (0.25 mg/L in freshwater). Leave at this concentration for 14 days. Do not redose without testing (MultiTest®: Copper). Do not use in conjunction with any other medication. Do not add reducing agents (e.g. dechlorinators, ammonia removers) to water treated with Cupramine™. If tank has ever been treated with an ionic copper (e.g. copper chloride, sulfate or citrate), test copper level after initial dosing. Although most fish tolerate Cupramine™ to 0.8 mg/L, it is not advisable to exceed 0.6 mg/L copper. Remove with carbon or CupriSorb™.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back