30 gallon sump build

TheAquarian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started a 30 gallon pvc sump today it’s 34” x 15” x 15” useing 3/8” pvc sheet stock.
This is the full-size layout
9DC9E4B9-45F7-44F9-9DE2-F80ED534FA11.jpeg

Step one box built and glued.
E6EEB925-7814-40C2-B8F8-10B0892393A7.jpeg

tlatix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow i never knew they have pvc sheet. Local hardware carry them? I would love to build one. Question, how you joint them? Silicone or pvc glue?

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's silicones adhesion to PVC? i'd imagine is weak similar to acrylic no?
But dam I like the idea of a PVC sheet sump. How's the cost effectivness?

OP
OP
TheAquarian

TheAquarian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow i never knew they have pvc sheet. Local hardware carry them? I would love to build one. Question, how you joint them? Silicone or pvc glue?

How's silicones adhesion to PVC? i'd imagine is weak similar to acrylic no?
But dam I like the idea of a PVC sheet sump. How's the cost effectivness?

I use it at work on a regular basis we get it from lumber suppliers. The Home Depot and Lowes in Connecticut Cary it on this prototype I did quick but joints which I used both pvc primer and glue with reinforced silicone inside. A silicone joint on its own is weak but if you scuff the face of the area your caulking it gives the silicone something to bite to and is quite strong. I plan to do a fallow up build with rabbited joints which will make pvc glue more effective. I chose to do a quick build to see how well it holds water and to test the layout. 4’x8’x3/8” sheet is around $97. I used scrap from work roughly a full sheet.

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this sump build. I am just setting up my first tank. Bought setup used. 90 gallon. It came with an obsolete proclear 125 sump. By the time I put my return pump, skimmer pump and heater in there, it's cram full. I'd like to get these pvc boards and build in place in the stand and utilize all the space. My stand is still just the skeleton, would be easier before I enclosed it. Have to do some research, I'm not experienced in knowing what I need in there.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rays-first-build.357737/

OP
OP
TheAquarian

TheAquarian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this sump build. I am just setting up my first tank. Bought setup used. 90 gallon. It came with an obsolete proclear 125 sump. By the time I put my return pump, skimmer pump and heater in there, it's cram full. I'd like to get these pvc boards and build in place in the stand and utilize all the space. My stand is still just the skeleton, would be easier before I enclosed it. Have to do some research, I'm not experienced in knowing what I need in there.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rays-first-build.357737/
You are on the right track, you really can’t go too big with a sumpuse all the space you can for it.

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking hard about buying a plastic welder. I think with pvc sheets and a welder, I would have the most versatility. I'm on my first build so want to check out other sumps before I build mine. Can you tell me what the different sections are designed for? Also, what is the purpose of the slots on top of the baffle?

OP
OP
TheAquarian

TheAquarian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first section is the water inlet this is where the tank water drains into the sump. The second is for the filtersocks and can also hold a prefilter sponge. The third section is where the skimmer and heaters are, next is the bubble trap the purpose is to stop any micro bubbles leaving the sump area. The fourth section is the refugeium the baffle leaving the refugeium has slots to 1 brake the surface of the water and promote gas exchange and 2 keep what’s kept in the refugeium from being washed into the return. There is also an spot for mechanical filtration leaving the refugeium if needed.

I havent thought about heat welding that may be worth testing.

Zoapro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you glue the pvc tank together I mean the sump itself not the baffles

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first section is the water inlet this is where the tank water drains into the sump. The second is for the filtersocks and can also hold a prefilter sponge. The third section is where the skimmer and heaters are, next is the bubble trap the purpose is to stop any micro bubbles leaving the sump area. The fourth section is the refugeium the baffle leaving the refugeium has slots to 1 brake the surface of the water and promote gas exchange and 2 keep what’s kept in the refugeium from being washed into the return. There is also an spot for mechanical filtration leaving the refugeium if needed.

I havent thought about heat welding that may be worth testing.
Thanks. What will you put in the refugium?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.6%
Back