$300 ATO help me find a better solution please!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tanks facts...

red sea reefer 650 peninsula (click badge for build thread)

basement mixing station below tank just redid the whole house 90% new home dont ask it went out of control fast...
I have 4 rodi tubs on the wall for AWC and ATO. but I did not think this trough...unless it;s wifi but not cords can rin to basement.

was thinking about this and one thing I come up is using another DOS in the controller cabbie to pull the RODI up from the basement...but that is a $300 ATO :eek: :eek: :eek:

after some more research maybe the avast marine Diaphragm pump along with there ATO unit might work to. I can get it to plung in to the EB82. anyone know if can push and well as pull water?

guessing you guys put holes in the walls and floors for the ATO cords? anyone else run into this problem?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are a lot of peristaltic pumps that could work. Spectrapure UltraPrecise ATO could work. Osmolator with a switch socket and a Milwaukee dosing pump or used stenner/masterflex pump could work.

The best stand alone system would likely be the spectrapure.

EricGRIT09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
tanks facts...

red sea reefer 650 peninsula (click badge for build thread)

basement mixing station below tank just redid the whole house 90% new home dont ask it went out of control fast...
I have 4 rodi tubs on the wall for AWC and ATO. but I did not think this trough...unless it;s wifi but not cords can rin to basement.

was thinking about this and one thing I come up is using another DOS in the controller cabbie to pull the RODI up from the basement...but that is a $300 ATO :eek: :eek: :eek:

after some more research maybe the avast marine Diaphragm pump along with there ATO unit might work to. I can get it to plung in to the EB82. anyone know if can push and well as pull water?

guessing you guys put holes in the walls and floors for the ATO cords? anyone else run into this problem?

My ATO res is in the basement, sump up a floor. I use the PMUP v2 which is plugged into my EB8. I don't like running power through floors/walls so I have a long USB cable connecting the EB8 to the Apex on the floor above. Then the EB8 is just connected to power from the basement.

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what your setup is like as far as ATO is concerned or the kind of head pressure you'd be facing with the pump but I use float switches to turn an outlet on and off for an aqualifter pump as my ATO. Have not had issues with this setup for the past 5-6 years that its been in operation.

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't you just run the rodi water into the return section of the sump in basement. You only need to run the ato from rodi storage to the return section of the sump you shouldn't need to run rodi from basement up

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the OP has RO/DI in the basement but the sump underneath the tank. I have used the Spectrapure pumps to pump at least 60ft before. I am sure they could handle the head you would just need to run the RO tubing.

Unfortunately the ultrapreciese ATO is $322 but it is great.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the OP has RO/DI in the basement but the sump underneath the tank. I have used the Spectrapure pumps to pump at least 60ft before. I am sure they could handle the head you would just need to run the RO tubing.

Unfortunately the ultrapreciese ATO is $322 but it is great.

this is correct. RODI and mixing station is in the basement, sump under tank one floor above.
head would be no more than 10'.
I wanted a bigger case in the wall for RO tubing and plugs but some how that got lost with the contractor. also it was not easy fix once he had made what he did.

Last edited:

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately not. the tanks sit above a slab then also added a 7x7 support so I could not easily drill through the new floor . oh and the other half was not thrilled about that idea anyway.
The other half is a secondary concern to the tank! If you are drilling 1/2” holes for RO, why not drill 2” holes for rerun lines so you can run your sump from the basement? Then your recirculating pump carries the head pressure and the RO is simplified. And also you can get a larger sump, a larger skimmer, larger UV, larger pumps and space is no concern. But I might be biased thinking about the benefits of a basement sump!

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so this is what I am working with.

tank is sitting on the edge of the older house build in the 30s and the add on build in the 70s. you can see the blue RODI tube coming out of the wall. I have 4 2 for AWC 1 for ATO and maybe the other for nano tank ATO or something for the big tank.

just forgot about cords and wires.
1605914392298.png

what chaps my hide is I should have planed better. when doing this...
1605914523689.png

the mixing station will be in the old cellar room the one with all the shelves.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other half is a secondary concern to the tank! If you are drilling 1/2” holes for RO, why not drill 2” holes for rerun lines so you can run your sump from the basement? Then your recirculating pump carries the head pressure and the RO is simplified. And also you can get a larger sump, a larger skimmer, larger UV, larger pumps and space is no concern. But I might be biased thinking about the benefits of a basement sump!

the holes are already there no drilling aloud anymore. trust me I spend 2-4 weeks trying to figure out how to have a basement sump. started a big post on the #askbrs FB page and most said basement sumps are the next best thing since sliced breed.

I hear you my pentair 40W UV will not fit in the stand ( bought it for the 750 i thought i was gonna setup -story in build thread ) so now its gonna be on the out side.

ReefBridge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I did for the ATO in my tank. Reefer 250 with sump in stand. I ran and RO line from my RO/DI system to the aquarium and had it connect to a solenoid with two optical sensors. (All connected to my Apex). Then I had it run through a float switch as a mechanical fail safe in case the sensors failed. Works pretty well for me, and assuming you have the Apex, only costs about $100-$120.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the holes are already there no drilling aloud anymore. trust me I spend 2-4 weeks trying to figure out how to have a basement sump. started a big post on the #askbrs FB page and most said basement sumps are the next best thing since sliced breed.

I hear you my pentair 40W UV will not fit in the stand ( bought it for the 750 i thought i was gonna setup -story in build thread ) so now its gonna be on the out side.
I’ve had my sump in my basement since I set up my tank in 2002. And it is really convenient. So I try to advocate for it when I can, but it seems you already know the benefits. I understand people have space constraints .

I don’t know that they are the best thing since sliced bread, but there are a lot of benefits. Electricity cost is a concern, but nothing in this hobby is cheap. I ran 2 40 watt UV sterilizers that would never fit under my tank stand. So I hope you can make it work, with whatever setup you decide on.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I did for the ATO in my tank. Reefer 250 with sump in stand. I ran and RO line from my RO/DI system to the aquarium and had it connect to a solenoid with two optical sensors. (All connected to my Apex). Then I had it run through a float switch as a mechanical fail safe in case the sensors failed. Works pretty well for me, and assuming you have the Apex, only costs about $100-$120.

I was wondering about this option. i did not know the RODI would push up 10' or so.

then there is the issue of TDS creep. I hear its a thing when you start and stop the RODI unit. I know on mine the 1st few min. the TDS never reads 0.
+ I need water for the RODI in basement for the mixing station.

I guess the goal is to have a large 50+ gal of RODI and mixed salt for AWC so I can travel and not worry about that.

if I would of thought about the dang cords my ATK would work. cant believe I did not plans for the cords come on man...lol

ReefBridge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about this option. i did not know the RODI would push up 10' or so.

then there is the issue of TDS creep. I hear its a thing when you start and stop the RODI unit. I know on mine the 1st few min. the TDS never reads 0.
+ I need water for the RODI in basement for the mixing station.

I guess the goal is to have a large 50+ gal of RODI and mixed salt for AWC so I can travel and not worry about that.

if I would of thought about the dang cords my ATK would work. cant believe I did not plans for the cords come on man...lol
Those are excellent questions that I wrestled with too. The RO system is pressurized by the water pressure in your house. It’s all a function of pressure head. (Vertical height) So if you turn on your faucet at that elevation and it runs, then you can be rest assured that the RO system will run.

in regards to TDS creep, that’s why you want two sensors. Make a large enough separation between them so that it’s a more significant volume of water needed. You don’t want it so close that it’s constantly switching from on and off, which is where the TDS creep comes into play.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned avast. I have their ato with their perisraltic pump. Works well and would certainly push the water upstairs. One option they have is a digital controller that sends the input ro your apex. So that may open the door for a wireless signal to a smart socket to turn the pump on and off

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned avast. I have their ato with their perisraltic pump. Works well and would certainly push the water upstairs. One option they have is a digital controller that sends the input ro your apex. So that may open the door for a wireless signal to a smart socket to turn the pump on and off

I was looking at that. just not sure how it all works with the apex. ( dont need it to be on the apex unless it helps is some way? it's on the top of my list so far. unless I can figure out how to do directly from the RODI.

basically all i need it a wireless/Bluetooth signal to turn on and off a small pump in the basement RODI res.
with all the tech these days like wifi power strips and what not kinda surprised is not out. I know ppl will say not trust a wirless device on a mission critical piece of gear...

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are excellent questions that I wrestled with too. The RO system is pressurized by the water pressure in your house. It’s all a function of pressure head. (Vertical height) So if you turn on your faucet at that elevation and it runs, then you can be rest assured that the RO system will run.

in regards to TDS creep, that’s why you want two sensors. Make a large enough separation between them so that it’s a more significant volume of water needed. You don’t want it so close that it’s constantly switching from on and off, which is where the TDS creep comes into play.
so are you suggesting a small ATO res. under the tank or just the normal return pump chamber?

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

looking into this option a bit more. I guess one also needs the FMM module correct? I have a brand new ATK but was thinking of selling it to fund the new setup. bummer to as I just got a leak detector.

Back