P. navarchus
navarchus.jpg

P. xanthometopon
bluejaw.jpg

sub-adult trying to be adult P. dispar
dispar.jpg

Euphyllia
euphyllia.jpg
Beautiful tank. Looks like the blue face recovered well.

OP
OP
jdiefenbaugh

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have added a few more fish since last update, including a 2nd navarchus angel. Was a little touch and go for a couple days, but everyone has settled in and hoping they will possibly pair up. Definitely tolerating each other now, so I'll take it.
20220206_142218.jpg

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! You have a navarchus and a blue face together... that's pretty cool in itself. I would have guessed fighting for sure. Also surprised that they do not pick at the euphyllia. I took all my euphyllia out of the main display before I added my angels. Even had to remove softies (except mushrooms)... but my blueface does not pick at SPS thankfully. Very cool looking tank!

OP
OP
jdiefenbaugh

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! You have a navarchus and a blue face together... that's pretty cool in itself. I would have guessed fighting for sure. Also surprised that they do not pick at the euphyllia. I took all my euphyllia out of the main display before I added my angels. Even had to remove softies (except mushrooms)... but my blueface does not pick at SPS thankfully. Very cool looking tank!

Never had them pick at euphyllia before, just open brain type corals and gorgonians. Adding the 2nd navarchus actually helped the aggression between the other 2. They definitely just tolerate each other, but it's not uncommon for them all to be right next to each other just hanging out. Theres also a female bellus, and I'd like to add 5 more species, but will probably wait til I can upgrade.

crvz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up, I've the same display tank. I like the mimic tang, I've tried them a handful of times but I've never had long term success with that species.

OP
OP
jdiefenbaugh

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up, I've the same display tank. I like the mimic tang, I've tried them a handful of times but I've never had long term success with that species.

Yep, really neat fish. I've kept 2 others in big tanks, but this one is the runt of the tank, for sure. 7 tangs looks like it'll be the limit. It's been tough for him to really fatten up, and I'll probably have to add a 2nd nori station as the smaller fish are kept away from it most of the time.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had problems in the past with very small mimics. Now, I've got a pyroferus and it's been about 5 years since adding him to my own 300DD. He was skinny for a while and got chased quite a bit by my scopas. Once I started to feed nori every day all of the tangs put on quite a bit of mass, especially the pyroferus. He's about 6", has a huge crescent moon tail, and beautiful colors. Very cool fish that I'm glad I continued to pursue.

I took this one through TTM for ich managemetn, then another month or so in a connected trough, where it could really get used to eating and get used to the "smells" of the system. I fed kanaplex/metronidazole soaked foods to ensure get rid of any internal parasites. I do think these feedings made a difference as I noticed it was able to fatten up afterward.

Good luck if you continue!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back