OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got all the plumbing done. Here is a pic of the back of the 300. Will have to move the tank to get a good pic of the front.
The far left 1" pipe is return from sump#2( mechanical/chemical sump) then next are three intake pipes 1 1/2" from main tank one to sump #2, middle is to refugium and then last 1 1/2 pipe goes to sump #1( mechanical/biological sump) then last pipe, far right 1" is return from sump #1
Sump 1 and sump 2 are tied together with a 2 pipe at 3" water height that goes under the refugiium (which is up on a 6" white box) to keep sump equal and a secondary over flow 1 1/2" pipe at 10" water height ties sump #1 and #2 across the back in return pump chamber (which have a ecotech L2 in each) which has a 6" minimum water height.
The 2 chamber refugium over flows into sump#1 and sump#2 equally into chamber 3 of each sump.
The 3 1 1/2 intake pipes from the tank will have a clear canister with carbon and a foam pad to filter any air intake since the tank is in the kitchen/ living room/ dining room and to prevent any cleaning chemicals that could be introduced to the tank by the intakes.
Intake pipe 3 has a empty one on the pipe in the picture.
When I get a front picture you will see...

Back of 300 plumbing.jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job!!

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you got to move the tank now, how do you move that tank? Do you have pop up casters?
going to empty the 140 into a 75 gallon tank, a 70 gallon tank and a 50 gallon rubber maid garbage can. Then slide the acrylic tank and stand to the other side of the room and put everything back except the rocks. We have dead rock in a 50 gallon can with microbactor for the last 3 months. So we have to figure out the rock work with what we have in the can and from the 140. We also want to take this 140 slide/move to introduce a 4" purple tang( we got a month ago) to our yellow tang. We also may use this time to also get a few new bigger fish to see if the tangs get along with them before putting them in the 300 with all the rock work.
Plus it gives us the time to let the 300 do its cycle thing without us rushing putting stuff in the 300.

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this GHL stuff last night including a the second slave doser 2.1(never used), a GHL 4 fan unit and speed controller, 4 bottles of KH reagent, 3 bottles of solution for each of the probes, and a whole box of wires, cables and many spare new cables/wires for $1,500.00
They were only used for 6 months.
Now just have to wait for my ION Director to come from GHL....
Also got two cabinets from Ikea for all this stuff. I love that place. Top cabinet has a smoked brown glass door so all the controllers will be in that one, and make it easy to see and also cool looking with the lights...
If it were up to me I would leave even the bottom of the tank (sump area etc) open to see since this is the new tread but wife wants it neat, organized and clean looking to stay with the look of the house..The bottom cabinet has a solid brown wood door. The bottom one will have all the dosing and waste containers in it.
have to put together, then will post a pic...
I want to keep all this stuff out from under the tank ....just in case of a H2O drip....

Attachments

• GHL Stuff.jpg
    GHL Stuff.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 143
OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up these Ecotech M2 and battery back ups, used for about 6 months.
Ordered a 3rd battery back up.

We changed our mind about going bare bottom tank. We going to do the far right, last 2 feet or so of tank with sand and coral rubble so we can have a leopard wrasse and maybe another wrasse...and keep our sand critters.
Since the two mp40 will be on the far left bottom of tank, this should be easy with some adjustments and or rock placement.

Vetra M2 & battery backups.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up these Ecotech M2 and battery back ups, used for about 6 months.
Ordered a 3rd battery back up.

We changed our mind about going bare bottom tank. We going to do the far right, last 2 feet or so of tank with sand and coral rubble so we can have a leopard wrasse and maybe another wrasse...and keep our sand critters.
Since the two mp40 will be on the far left bottom of tank, this should be easy with some adjustments and or rock placement.

Vetra M2 & battery backups.jpg
I think the hybrid bb approach is going to be super cool. So long as your flow is steady across the bottom toward your sand, shouldn't be too much hastle to keep it there.

Have you considered gluing In 1 maybe 1"-1.5" tall strip to help hold the sand where you want it?

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the hybrid bb approach is going to be super cool. So long as your flow is steady across the bottom toward your sand, shouldn't be too much hastle to keep it there.

Have you considered gluing In 1 maybe 1"-1.5" tall strip to help hold the sand where you want it?
I thought about that strip idea, but I want to keep it looking natural. So I think leaving it to just a gradual increase to far right of tank will look cool... Kinda like a sandy beach....
I may put a few very thin like 1" flat rocks at the sand edge if needed...

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that strip idea, but I want to keep it looking natural. So I think leaving it to just a gradual increase to far right of tank will look cool... Kinda like a sandy beach....
I may put a few very thin like 1" flat rocks at the sand edge if needed...
I was thinking about how to keep it concealed. Wondering if putting the strip back 6 to 8 inches from where you want the edge to be would be helpful. It would hold the sand from the right side from coming left, It would give the sand coming from the left side from the pumps something to push up against and build up. In theory not sure you would ever see it. In practice, who knows.

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about how to keep it concealed. Wondering if putting the strip back 6 to 8 inches from where you want the edge to be would be helpful. It would hold the sand from the right side from coming left, It would give the sand coming from the left side from the pumps something to push up against and build up. In theory not sure you would ever see it. In practice, who knows.
True I like your idea, will keep it as a backup....I really want to achieve a natural gradual slopping edge, which I know will be ever moving. I kinda like that idea.
Makes me think of the edge of where the beach meets the ocean.....All I need is a chair and a drink....ahhhhh .....haha...

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok got the three 1 1/2 inch drains dry fitted inside the tank. I am not a fan of overflow boxes or wasting area inside of tanks for corner overflow boxes from floor to top of tank.
Also have the tank moved to the spot the 140 was. The 300 fiberglass stand, I wrapped in wood and we painted it.
I ran two independent 20 amp outlets from the breaker box to the wall where the tank is going.
Next I have to figure out how to neatly hide all the plug wire and plug it all into the ADJ power strips I bought. Then fill with RODI water and salt and let cycle while I build the cabinet doors.
I attached pictures of the drains in the tank and the framed tank. The double cabinet to the right of the tank is for all the GHL equipment. The top cabinet has smoked glass door for all the GHL electronics and the bottom has sold wood door for all the dosing containers.

Drain top view.jpg drains in tank.jpg 300 gallon with frame done.jpg ADJ power strip.jpg

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many GPH do you think you'll be pushing through the tank and how far below the water line will the drains be?
so based on the charts I have found, each 1 1/2 drain pipe from the tank can do a max of 2100 gph gravity fed. So three would be a max of 6300 gph. Which I dont see will happen as with any over flow box or any type of drain cover water flow will be restrict water flow.
Also since I have two Ecotech M2 as the returns their max is 2000 gph for each with 1 inch pipe return.
So I figure my max tank turn over rate is 4000 gph which I don't see a realistic number achieved, since their is head pressure. So I calculated it to be about 3000 gph which gives me a 10 times tank turn over max.

The drains are set right now at 2" below water height. I may change this or change the drain covers. I don't know until I get water in and have the system cycling.

The two sumps can handle a 3" water drop from the main tank which would be 37.4 gallons and they still would have room for additional 10 gallons.
I am allowing a max of 2 inch drop from main which will be aprox 25 gallons.

Once I have water in the tank I will fine turn the whole water flow etc process.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back