300 Gallon Peninsula Build..

TeehGeeCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fairly new to R2R and have never done a build thread before but I figured I would give it a try, have something to look back on years from now.. anyways the tank is a 96x24x30 from Planet Aquariums

I’ve already started on building the stand but made the mistake of building the stand to exactly 96x24 not accounting for the trim of the tank... still trying to decide on whether I redo the width or just get some thick plywood. Anyways here is the stand so far
67f5be9f1e942fee3db7cf728421f383.jpg
fb3bd8b29e6a419967fc0f294e65d037.jpg

The tank will be separating my kitchen from my living room and I’m so excited! I appreciate any tips on the tank itself and the build thread [emoji1365]

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300 Gallon Peninsula?? I'll be honest it would look much better in my living room;) more than double the size of mine, I love it! Definately following along on this one :)

The first thing that comes to mind obviously is the weight of such a large tank, have you thought about whether you will need to brace the floor under the tank?

OP
OP
TeehGeeCorals

TeehGeeCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300 Gallon Peninsula?? I'll be honest it would look much better in my living room;) more than double the size of mine, I love it! Definately following along on this one :)

The first thing that comes to mind obviously is the weight of such a large tank, have you thought about whether you will need to brace the floor under the tank?

Thank you interacting with my thread! Lol yes I will be bracing the floor under the tank just ran out of wood for the day

OP
OP
TeehGeeCorals

TeehGeeCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just to put this out there my house is also in the process of being built so it should be interesting to post updates on that relating to the tank.. I’ve already somewhat decided to steal my closet for my equipment room [emoji23][emoji23]

OP
OP
TeehGeeCorals

TeehGeeCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you interacting with my thread! Lol yes I will be bracing the floor under the tank just ran out of wood for the day

Wait a second I completely read that wrong LOL I’m sorry, no the floor doesn’t need to be braced it’s concrete with 16” centers of rebar (I pour concrete for a living) so all is well.. I’ve got the luxury of putting the tank in first and then putting hardwood floors after [emoji1360]

Zack33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you doing for a sump? Is it suppose to go underneath the tank?
Might be worth sealing the wood once before you start to skin the stand if you are.

OP
OP
TeehGeeCorals

TeehGeeCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you doing for a sump? Is it suppose to go underneath the tank?
Might be worth sealing the wood once before you start to skin the stand if you are.

Thanks for the advice! I have a trigger systems sapphire 39 sump that will be sitting on plywood under the tank.. sealing the wood with a water based paint

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny part is the construction never seems to end completely and you will most likely always find a way to change it up and challenge yourself in the process. I look forward to seeing what’s next for you. Next on my list is glass tank to replace my scratchmatic 4,000,000,000 acrylic tank, along with making a full-length cast concrete backdrop as soon as I work out the technical challenges (this is has been four months in planning AFTER purchasing materials and will be a fun build thread once I actually get started). I’m also looking to incorporate side cabinets on each end of the stand to accommodate my bird’s nest of cables and controllers. I have to have one of the ugliest under-tank setups on this forum and it’s making me self-conscious, lol. Gotta make it Reef Spec. ;)

OP
OP
TeehGeeCorals

TeehGeeCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny part is the construction never seems to end completely and you will most likely always find a way to change it up and challenge yourself in the process. I look forward to seeing what’s next for you. Next on my list is glass tank to replace my scratchmatic 4,000,000,000 acrylic tank, along with making a full-length cast concrete backdrop as soon as I work out the technical challenges (this is has been four months in planning AFTER purchasing materials and will be a fun build thread once I actually get started). I’m also looking to incorporate side cabinets on each end of the stand to accommodate my bird’s nest of cables and controllers. I have to have one of the ugliest under-tank setups on this forum and it’s making me self-conscious, lol. Gotta make it Reef Spec. ;)

Lol yeah I’ve kind of just tossed around cables on my other builds but this one I am definitely putting a cabinet next to.. but I don’t even think I’m gonna build it there’s a cabinet at ikea that’s the same width as my aquarium so it will be perfect

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it’s cheaper, more cost effective and better looking to go that route. Will it support 8,000lbs? Probably not but a side cabinet doesn’t have to so meh. I would make the same choice and use the saved money to buy another coral frag.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back