ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they are eating the acro
I forget the name of these little critters. They are very small and just graze around, most of the time, the acropora bugs are dug into the tissue. You will/may see bleaching where they are eating and tissue loss. No polyp extension, what else, they would not be off of the tissue either. Looks like these guys are roaming the frag plug.

could be ostracods?
Hi mibu,sorry late reply,just got home on train
I'm unsure what they are but you could very well be correct,,unless get them under a microscope I won't be able to know.
But yeah I agree with you in that they look like just grazing from the frag plug and look almost identical to the bugs I got months ago .
I'm not concerned about tjem at momemt as cant see them doing Amy damage to the acro but it does seem strange they congregating on this new acro plug and 0 are on my stylo but I really don't know tbh

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi mibu,sorry late reply,just got home on train
I'm unsure what they are but you could very well be correct,,unless get them under a microscope I won't be able to know.
But yeah I agree with you in that they look like just grazing from the frag plug and look almost identical to the bugs I got months ago .
I'm not concerned about tjem at momemt as cant see them doing Amy damage to the acro but it does seem strange they congregating on this new acro plug and 0 are on my stylo but I really don't know tbh
Don't worry about the reply, the nice thing about text, it is there for when you get to it.

The acro bugs can't resist their food source. As long as you don't see tick like behavior, I think all is well.

Hope things are okay over there and your family is doing well :)

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here video of torch getting ready to split hopefully anyway ^_^

Those are it's mouths. You can (and should) put food there. :)

Turn off the pumps because it will be tough for it to eat. You will also have to keep all of the mauraders away, and in your tank there are many.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main reason I wanted cbb was because such beautiful unusual looking fish but closely followed by I want the fish to have jobs in tank to help me and as alot state their cbb eat aiptasia this was a big influencer to get one.

I dont feed nori as such ,for reason of I can't seem to find none in any Chinese supermarket in my city,can find roasted seaweed and seaweed with spices / herbs added but not plain nori,but I have got oceans nutrition green algae sheets I think it's called and not seen it eat any of that but don't feed that as often as I should .think I may add some on a clip now and see if it eats any this time.

And let's hope the cbb eats these aiptasia as must be 4 or 5 on this small zoa rock that got like 35 zoas on it as they are small and inbetween the zoas and I only spotted them as lights out on tank and zoomed in with phone with light on phone so don't think the aiptasia rise out above the zoas as of yet so only way cbb will be able to see them is when zoas are closed or when they grow larger ,and was dreading removing all the aiptasia without spreading them and dont particular want to remove the zoas from the rock.
But now I noticed the aiptasia,I'm now thinking have they stung the zoa as couple of the pink/ peachy coloured ones lost bit their colour but idk.
Maybe I leave zoa rock in a few days and see what happens then make a decision on what to do ^_^
Thanks for all your advice, it's much appreciated indeed as I only know what I know
From reading which is different than hands on experience off course
Aptasia X works really good on Aptasia. I had a nasty one in my pipe organ and I finally ended up killing a few polyps to get it gone but is gone and hasn't been back.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are it's mouths. You can (and should) put food there. :)

Turn off the pumps because it will be tough for it to eat. You will also have to keep all of the mauraders away, and in your tank there are many.
Yeah I feed it 2 times per week or at least once a week if forget once ^_^
Had to resort to putting cut plastic bottles over both torches and my lobo and turn 2 powrrheads off leaving just return and small power head on behind the rocks otherwise the greedy cleaner shrimp just take it all.
Thanks for tip on nori.i always thought was chinese pffft,when I asked in Chinese supermarkets they just looked at me with bewildered look lol but had sea weed with spices in or roasted seaweed so just ended up buying oceans nutrition green algae sheets which half my fish eat it but if find Japanese shop or restaurant will ask thanks .
If torch has 2 mouths doesn't that mean it's preparing to split ? I just presumed 1 torch = 1 mouth and if 2 mouths then preparing the slow process of splitting?

As for the few tiny aiptasia I found, when I can get around to it I'm going take the 2 zoas off the large frag rock/ plug and glue to a smaller appropriately shaped rock and looks like one of the kind out the 2 zoas has zoa pox as whitish growths on the stems and some the zoas struggling to open.i thought was sand at first but pretty sure it isn't. I read furan 2 is good for it .if I can get It in my country is another matter buy thanks for tips

Last edited:

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If torch has 2 mouths doesn't that mean it's preparing to split ? I just presumed 1 torch = 1 mouth and if 2 mouths then preparing the slow process of splitting?
Not neccessarily. They usually have multiple mouths along the length of their "polyp". If they split is should be obvious. I am pretty sure that when that happens it is lateral to the mouths. There will also be skeleton building before it becomes obvious to the naked eye. I imagine that those who have had them for extended periods get good at spotting the splitting.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here the zoa pox or some kind bacteria infection.which looks like it got worse .maybe reason why it was only £ 26 for 2 kinds of zoa and in total about 40 polyps.but if take these zoas off the rock it came on I can remove aiptasia at same time then either just bin the zoas with the zoa pox or try buy some furan 2 then try treat them idk yet

20211125_223551.jpg 20211125_223557.jpg 20211125_223603.jpg

See 2 hydroids I picture also ^_^

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Prescription only so that's a 100% no as dont know any vets that deal with fish and doubt they give me even if made appointment and went in with zoas in a bag but never know stranger things happenned lol
But maybe can buy from us and wait for it to come or just bin the zoas in question and keep the pink ones so doesnt spread to my other zoas unless it's already started spreading idk

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per the conversation on the other thread, I am pretty opposed to medications. I find that they throw of the aquarium out of balance and end up causing more problems, and generally speaking the intervention doesn't work.

Zoas are funny. When you get them you usually have trouble to get them going. Depending on what kind of conditions they were in before you got them, it make take a while to get them back up to speed. Acro is like this too. In the process of the "acclimation" you will very likely end up losing a lot of them or all of them. The good news is that if just one survives you will have a huge colony before you know it.

It is important to not intervene directly with your creatures. I find it very very ineffective and it causes long term issues you may not be aware of until months later.

You still have a pretty good sized colony. Ensure that you keep stuff off them. You can do this with a turkey baster or just waving your hands to create a current. I wouldn't pull them off the rock this will cause more stress and possibly their demise. If there aptasia in between the polyps I would use Aptasia X on those if you kill a few polyps that will be better than the stress of moving the colony.

This is where the rubber meets the road. Figuring out how to get the desired output with as little intervention as possible. :)

I am kind of chuckling. I see zoas as a weed and I have tried to tear them off and physically remove them. A month later they back. Gawd I hate them. :p

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thread about oxydators for me to look up if ever decide to use in future

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got new phone yesterday and main thing wanted was basic new phone as all pretty much do sake thing for what I use them for but wanted as good or better camera on it than my old Samsung s10 + and this new phone camera so far seems extremely good and got a 30 x zoom where as s10+ had 10 x so can actually zoom good 10 inch into tank and zoom into the mouth of the zoa so much better indeed,just need mess about with settings and colours and all that I guess.

And finally started making my Xmas Village which usually takes 2 weeks to build and want it built before go holiday in 7 days so got 6 days left to build so think going have be much simpler than I used to build as just haven't got the time lol.
Mrs doesn't like me building it as causes a mess with all the Styrofoam ( I do clean up as I go) and she kindly being saying will help you get wood out loft tommorrow,well that was 1 week ago started asking and finally got wood down yesterday ,I'm sure my 4 year old will love it no matter what and sure will be hard building it while she around and be hard telling her not to crawl under the table where all the wires/ plugs will be but spent alot of money on it over the years so my logic is either use it at Xmas time or sell it all and never do it again ( mrs doesn't want to sell it and doesn't want me to do it so idk lol)

Attachments

• 20211202_205359.jpg
    20211202_205359.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20211202_205406.jpg
    20211202_205406.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211202_205417.jpg
    20211202_205417.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211202_205412.jpg
    20211202_205412.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211202_205428.jpg
    20211202_205428.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 27
  • 20211202_205453.jpg
    20211202_205453.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211202_205538.jpg
    20211202_205538.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well managed to build Xmas Village in 4 and bit days,same size,used all buildings and figures,just missed out few fences,few trees and didn't use that much snow to hide the white sheets and wires,and didn't put mountain sides on edges of boxes to get rid of the squareness but pretty much the same effect,so think every year I do it from now on.i do it this quicker 4 day method than usually 14 days.
So go on holiday in 2 days so making water for a waterchange tommorrow and need wash holiday clothes again ( only got washed 7 weeks ago on last holiday but Mrs insists I need wash pffft) but confident can get ready in a day so no big deal ^_^

Hope you enjoy the village,me and my 4 year old loving it ^_^

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well got new phone yesterday and main thing wanted was basic new phone as all pretty much do sake thing for what I use them for but wanted as good or better camera on it than my old Samsung s10 + and this new phone camera so far seems extremely good and got a 30 x zoom where as s10+ had 10 x so can actually zoom good 10 inch into tank and zoom into the mouth of the zoa so much better indeed,just need mess about with settings and colours and all that I guess.

And finally started making my Xmas Village which usually takes 2 weeks to build and want it built before go holiday in 7 days so got 6 days left to build so think going have be much simpler than I used to build as just haven't got the time lol.
Mrs doesn't like me building it as causes a mess with all the Styrofoam ( I do clean up as I go) and she kindly being saying will help you get wood out loft tommorrow,well that was 1 week ago started asking and finally got wood down yesterday ,I'm sure my 4 year old will love it no matter what and sure will be hard building it while she around and be hard telling her not to crawl under the table where all the wires/ plugs will be but spent alot of money on it over the years so my logic is either use it at Xmas time or sell it all and never do it again ( mrs doesn't want to sell it and doesn't want me to do it so idk lol)
I do not know why I am not getting updates on watched builds. I am really upset. I did get one this morning.

Nice photos!!!

And I love Christmas village.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know why I am not getting updates on watched builds. I am really upset. I did get one this morning.

Nice photos!!!

And I love Christmas village.
Yeah I noticed not getting notifications also.only seen you changed name on your build thread when seen it in latest posts with all the rest,at first I thought you started a new build thread,like got a tank or something as didnt get no notifications,and yeah village is great,I love it and get carried away with most things I do,as only started off like 5-6 years ago with few houses/ figures on top of a sideboard but quickly size escalated ha ha

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm back from my 1 week holiday,all fish accounted for and so far just seems the large conch didn't make it ( I'm guessing as left less food for tank sitter to feed,one or more of the hermits murdered it but idk) other conch under sand,green torch finally snuffed it ( was not looking good the last month) and newest torch retracted) seems my tank not mature enough or got something that irritating torches as that's 3 torch and 1 death,1 bjd after a day and one that seems on downward spiral so will stay clear of them for time being I think.all other corals looking good ^_^

Attachments

• 20211216_125847.jpg
    20211216_125847.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211216_125901.jpg
    20211216_125901.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20211216_125908.jpg
    20211216_125908.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20211216_125924.jpg
    20211216_125924.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well last night after tank lights out,heard a loud pop from pistol shrimp then seen urchin upside down on sandbed next to pistols entrance,put hand in tank and put it near rock and it grabbed on gently.this morning it's back at entrance to pistols lair so I'm hoping it isn't 2 pegs I got with metal spring and my mother in law knocked one of them in as feeding naughty crab in sump,so going have keep eye on rest inverts and possibly get some Capricorn or some kind of metal remover I guess as everything was going so good with tank for such long time and now after my holiday had large conch dead and now an urchin,but could be many reasons ( high nitrates,metal in tank,pistol shrimp / hermit killed them,not enough algae on rocks for cuc so going run parameter tests tonight and prepare some water for wc tommorow

Attachments

• 20211218_130858.jpg
    20211218_130858.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211218_130908.jpg
    20211218_130908.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 17

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back