OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered an InTank media basket and Tunze 9001 skimmer to put in chamber 2. It didn't really work out very well. The diverter for the media basket backs the water up into the main tank, which lowers the water in chambers 2/3. So, you need to add more water to those chambers. However, what that means is that when the return pump is off (for example, if you use feeding mode), the water level in chambers 2/3 gets really high. This, in turn, caused the skimmer to fall apart and float away (the skimming cup and the plate it sits on). So, if I want to use my feed mode pump I just bought, I would have to disassemble and reassemble the skimmer every day when I feed the tank. Not what I wanted. So, I'm shipping that skimmer back and have ordered a Reef Glass nano skimmer. The collection cup is external, so that should help. I just have to hope that it will fit under the canopy!

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also can’t believe what an amazing job my little CUC is doing. This is about 5 days of work.

57B84D35-E9EB-491F-B915-CA3E677D7483.jpeg

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my new Reef Glass skimmer yesterday and it fits with plenty of room to spare in chamber 2. It may work a little better in chamber 1, but that chamber has a really high water level due to the InTank diverter so you may have clearance issues there. I didn’t try it. In chamber 2 though, oodles of clearance in a biocube 32. I’ll work on getting it tuned over the next week or so.

4890B357-9594-4BC0-B68F-85E79ED35EA7.jpeg
F4F56FEE-E44E-4E59-9C85-83A1BDA7FC81.jpeg

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my Reef Glass skimmer. Not as good a setup up as I'd hoped. When the return pump is off and chamber 2 fills, water goes right into the waster container and could cause it to flood. Ah good times. So, I removed the water director, and now it won't do that. I just need to find a way to clip the media basket in place since the director held it in place. I removed some water from the tank too. Once I find a way to keep the basket in place a little better, I think it'll work fine without the director. And, I validated that it doesn't fit in chamber 1 without cutting the top.

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the water director you're talking about that green piece that connects to your first chamber? I'm not that familiar with the BioCube chamber layouts so I'll have to do some digging, but there has to be a better solution.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the water director you're talking about that green piece that connects to your first chamber? I'm not that familiar with the BioCube chamber layouts so I'll have to do some digging, but there has to be a better solution.
Yes, it's a piece that comes with the inTank media basket to funnel all the water into the basket. But, it raises the water level in chamber 1 and the main tank by about 1/2". Then, you need to raise the water level in chambers 2 and 3 to get a skimmer to work properly. So then, when the return pump is off, since the main tank water level is so high, it raises the water level in chamber 2 by another 3 to 4 inches, which is causing all my issues. I'm surprised no one else seems to be concerned. I mean, the tank won't flood, but the skimmer being there is causing issues with the super high water level. I think I'm getting plenty of water in the basket without the director anyway. I did put a piece of filter floss next to the basket to help direct the water, but it doesn't affect the water level in the main tank.

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get a chance can you provide me some pictures of the water director from multiple angles? Ideally throw me some measurements as well. Might be able to 3D print you up a new director that doesn't cause this issue.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get a chance can you provide me some pictures of the water director from multiple angles? Ideally throw me some measurements as well. Might be able to 3D print you up a new director that doesn't cause this issue.
My 9 year old desperately wants a 3D printer!

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 9 year old desperately wants a 3D printer!

TBH, it's not a bad investment. If you want some details, send me a PM and I'll get you on the right path of setting one up yourself for not much of an investment. Perk is a lot of the software you use now is free! Used to be that you had to sink $1000 into a printer and $3000 into a software license, now you can get running with one for ~$250 with most materials and you can upgrade it for another ~$150 and have a ton more options. But if you're only looking to tinker and build here and there parts, ~$250 will get you going in no time.

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked at the InTank link you posted and I noticed this:

DUAL_USE__36926.1553624871.jpg

Is your director flat like this or angled? This may be part of your problem.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked at the InTank link you posted and I noticed this:

DUAL_USE__36926.1553624871.jpg

Is your director flat like this or angled? This may be part of your problem.

I've tried it both ways. Basically, the "standard setup" is used when you did not remove the tabs on the inside of chamber 2 that the factory media basket used. Once you've removed those, which is necessary if you want to fit a protein skimmer next to the basket, you need to use the protein skimmer setup. In the first, the two ridges on the bottom fit over the side of the media basket, and with the second, the two ridges go inside the media basket. It's the same director used in both.

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the problem from the sounds of it is the height of the director. Sounds like between its overall thickness and sitting on top of the baffle for chamber 1 that's where you get the raised water level. Check it out and see if you can confirm this.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the problem from the sounds of it is the height of the director. Sounds like between its overall thickness and sitting on top of the baffle for chamber 1 that's where you get the raised water level. Check it out and see if you can confirm this.
Yes, I agree! InTank didn’t seem to think it was an issue. I guess I’m just picky lol.

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originalybehat I thought the new director it’s taller the. It should be
@hllb i just ordered myself a cheap biocube skimmer ile let ya know how it works I plan to use it in chamber one

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originalybehat I thought the new director it’s taller the. It should be
@hllb i just ordered myself a cheap biocube skimmer ile let ya know how it works I plan to use it in chamber one
I think they got so concerned with funneling as much water as possible into the basket, that they missed the height issue in the redesign.

Back