32G Biocube

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they got so concerned with funneling as much water as possible into the basket, that they missed the height issue in the redesign.
Agreed. It definitely looks thicker in the photos

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I knew someone with a 3D printer i always wanted to redesign the original so water drops more centered on the floss

zwschutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's a piece that comes with the inTank media basket to funnel all the water into the basket. But, it raises the water level in chamber 1 and the main tank by about 1/2". Then, you need to raise the water level in chambers 2 and 3 to get a skimmer to work properly. So then, when the return pump is off, since the main tank water level is so high, it raises the water level in chamber 2 by another 3 to 4 inches, which is causing all my issues. I'm surprised no one else seems to be concerned. I mean, the tank won't flood, but the skimmer being there is causing issues with the super high water level. I think I'm getting plenty of water in the basket without the director anyway. I did put a piece of filter floss next to the basket to help direct the water, but it doesn't affect the water level in the main tank.
I have the same issue as you. I have the Tunze 9001 skimmer and have to remove the collection cup every time I turn the return pump off to feed.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue as you. I have the Tunze 9001 skimmer and have to remove the collection cup every time I turn the return pump off to feed.
Yup, I was unwilling to do that, especially since If the power went out, I wouldn't be there to do it. So, I sent that skimmer back and got the Reef Glass. No collection cup to float away, but then would flood the external collection cup if I leave the director in place. So I removed it and it seems to be doing OK. The skimmer isn't pulling anything yet though - it's only been in for 2 days.

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second to last bullet point bothers me.

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 12.33.33 PM.png

I've used InTank stuff for a while now and only ran into one issue that I felt was more on my end than theirs, but when it comes to the BioCubes, this is something that would be frustrating.

@hllb or @zwschutz , have either of you reached out to InTank over this? I would mention clearly that their advertising makes it seem as if their product is plug and play with the Tunze 9001, they may have designed everything on a tank and just happened to not run everything wet. From the brief talks I've had with them with their products they seem willing to help, you may just need to reach out to them since this is a side spread problem.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second to last bullet point bothers me.

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 12.33.33 PM.png

I've used InTank stuff for a while now and only ran into one issue that I felt was more on my end than theirs, but when it comes to the BioCubes, this is something that would be frustrating.

@hllb or @zwschutz , have either of you reached out to InTank over this? I would mention clearly that their advertising makes it seem as if their product is plug and play with the Tunze 9001, they may have designed everything on a tank and just happened to not run everything wet. From the brief talks I've had with them with their products they seem willing to help, you may just need to reach out to them since this is a side spread problem.
Oh yes, I emailed with Steve for quite a while. He tried to be helpful, but ultimately, it didn't work and I don't think he really thought there was a real issue. He tried really hard though.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give them props for customer service even though they ultimately couldn't fix it.

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a bummer, you would think that with the claim in their product description it would have been a driving factor to come up with a fix.

What I may do is put one of their directors on an order the net time I need something from them. From there I'll go through and remix the design to see if there is a solution.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a bummer, you would think that with the claim in their product description it would have been a driving factor to come up with a fix.

What I may do is put one of their directors on an order the net time I need something from them. From there I'll go through and remix the design to see if there is a solution.
Hubby confirmed he has small calipers somewhere so that I can measure the director.

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, let the R&D begin as soon as you can get measurements. Throw me over a top down view picture of the director with the measurements annotated (preferably in millimeters if possible, or to the thousands if he's running SAE vernier calipers) and then a side profile around the director. From there I can work on slimming it down.

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3E7A9961-AF25-41CD-89E3-0DB404CD5784.jpeg
B3889660-DCAC-4810-88E0-AB6D3E10A27B.jpeg
Alright my coralife skimmer came today initial thought it’s very basic and the wooden air stone bothers me a little so may be looking to upgrade that I did have to modify my director so it clips on instead of suction cups excited to see how it does

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back