33 long

Questin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank I have is called a 33 long, holding 33 gallons but 48 inches long. The tank is 12 inches tall, and 12 inches deep, so you can see it is a very long and short tank. On the top of this tank I have a coralife unit that is 492 watt (2-150 watt HQI and 2-96 watt). So its a lot of light, sometimes too much.

Here is a pic of it overall.
DSC00531.png

This tank is newer but the most the coral in it I have had for years in a 65 gallon tank. I was having a lot of problems in that tank so now I have moved everything (minus a lot of live rock) into this new 33 long. Here are a lot of pics of what I have in it.

The oddball coral
DSC00483.png

Ricordia Yuma
DSC00603.png

DSC00602.png

DSC00537.png

DSC00514.png

DSC00485.png

DSC00497.png

OP
OP
Questin

Questin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC00501.png

DSC00507.png

DSC00508.png

DSC00611.png

DSC00609.png

The critters
DSC00608.png

DSC00607.png

The Clams
DSC00610.png

So, things are going ok, I need to scape it all still to have a good look (I do a 125 gallon freshwater tank and am really into Takashi Amano, so that is why I say I need to scape it still) but I am having a small problem and I am really getting sick of it. Its the algae I have in the tank.

I know you saw a few pics of macro algae, and I am ok with that stuff, its pretty cool looking I think, and there is one Zoanthid rock that has a lot of maidenhair algae on it that I like to, so that is not the problem, its the little bits of Bryopsis that are really starting to upset me because I can not get rid of it.

I have tried all types of algae eaters: hermit craps, emerald craps, purple tang, sailfin tang, halfback mimic tang, redlip blenny, lawnmower blenny, pygmy angelfish, things I am sure I forgot.

I have tried all types of macro algae to out compete it: Caulerpa mexicana, Caulerpa racemosa, Caulerpa nummularia, Halimeda, Avrainvillea nigricens, Chaetomorpha, Chlorodesmis sp. (yes all of them)

I have tried the high magnesium to flat out kill the stuff, but it seems to not do the job, but this was the only thing I saw that had an effect on it.

I have tried to pull it out little pinch by little pinch but that only seem to make it worse as the spores went all over the place.

So, I know this is my first post, but I have been on here over a year, and have been keeping tanks for years, I just need some ideas for you all on what to do.

I have a CPR HOB refugium packed full of cheato, and a AquaC Remora/Remora Pro Protein Skimmer hanging on the side.

Comments on the tank and whats in it are great to hear, ideas on what to do with it, where to put things always help. But this devil algae is my focus at the moment

polyp13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Questin

Questin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been working on the layout of the tank mostly, so that means cleaning up the mess of fraglings all over the place.

I put the light unit on wires so I could get it away from the tank more. The Yumas just hated the light and I hated working with it being on legs.
DSC00687.png

The mess got cleaned up a lot with glueing eggcrate onto a magfloat. Really gave me a lot of room I needed.
DSC00690.png

DSC00708.png

Here is the Yuma area of the tank, lower light and lower flow made them all happy. The pink one was always happy thou, it liked the spotlight
DSC00691.png

DSC00692.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Questin

Questin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the blues. I had moved them to low flow and they started to wilt into nothing, I lost like 5 pylops. I moved them to a much higher flow area and they are much happier
DSC00701.png

Ric Rock that I hope will fill up and connect to the pink group
DSC00707.png

Top down of 2 of the clams
DSC00697.png

I am just letting things grow onto rocks that are loose right now, and filling in some spots with anything a bit more rare from LFS. When the cold weather is over I can get some nice online orders done and fill in the gaps on the rocks that I have.

You may see some alage in the pics, but most the bad stuff is gone. I have a nice group of Halimeda in there, as well as some Maiden's Hair in one pic that I enjoy, but its on some of my coolest zoanthids that have a orange skirt and real pink center that are pretty awesome. There is also some fan macro algae growning on the rock with all the light brown zoanthids with the star pattern.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Questin

Questin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took those pics with a phone, that I dropped into that tank. So I have a proper camera now, but I have to learn how to use it correctly. Anyways, here is the first pic I like from it
014.jpg

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and collection. The yumas are sweet, especially the red one.

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a really nice tank. Very nice selection of stuff. Glad to hear you got rid of the bad algae.

Invert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking Tank & Corals

I really like the 33's.

My present system consist of 3 33's.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 107 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back