350 gallon stocking

Pimpnyou204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am currently trying to stock my newish tank slowly but surely... everything seems to add up quickly in this hobby especially in larger tanks lol.

Quick overview of the tank.
350 gallon display
250 gallon sump
Display is roughly 120 lbs of rock right now trying to add more but the ban on rock makes things difficult.
2 cor20 for return pumps
Mostly mushrooms right now but would like to start getting some frags going soon.

Now I’m looking to add a few more members to the group now and would like to avoid problems with the other inhabitants.

List currently is:
Diamond gobby
Purple dottyback
Tahini tang
Powder brown tang
Scopas tang
2 midnight clowns
Ocelaris clown
Can’t remember the name of the other clown
And about 100 mix of snails and crabs.

What else would you guys add to the mix. I’m always cool with adding some more tangs but not sure if I should and if I did what type. I’d like to add a coooerband butterfly and six line wrasse.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin Tusks have that nice orange color. But very overlooked for a large tank like yours— “Pork Fish.” They love to chase each other; are fast as lightning and give you that deep-sea look. Silver & yellow in the same fish?... gotta love it!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2F30905C-9567-43EA-808D-18FCC98D3142.jpeg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are woefully deficient on wrasses ... but keep in mind that the sixline might well mean that you'll only be able to keep one wrasse in the tank - the sixline. They have a notorious temper, especially with other wrasses.

You might look into some of the fairy wrasses, flasher wrasses, or members of the genus Halichoires instead - yellow "coris", radiant, red-line, Christmas (H. claudia) are all peaceful and beautifully colored - instead.

Porkfish are beautiful - the local Public Aquarium just dropped a bunch into QT - but IIRC, may limit your motile invert choices.

If you're hoping to add a copperband, I'd do it as quickly as possible. Tangs won't always play nicely with a new copperband, as the butterfly's tall shape resembles their own.

If you're up for a little bit of risk, a coral beauty or flame angel are _mostly_ reef-safe, angels of the genus Genicanthus, such as the bellus or Watanabe's angels are nearly completely safe.

Had you considered a foxface? I just added a small "lo" to my tank, and I'm more charmed than I thought I'd be.

Shrimpgobies, such as the Aurora, high-fin-red-band or yellow watchman can add charm to the sandbed. Triple it, if you get the sort of pistol shrimp they pair with.

Neon, sharknose, yellowline gobies, and others in their family, can be charmers too - using the rock as a launchpad, they perform the same function in the Caribbean that cleaner wrasses do in the Indo-Pacific.

Do keep an eye on four clowns in one tank - it may work out in a tank the size of yours, or could herald trouble, depending on where they settle their territories.

Keep an eye on that dottyback, as well. As a young man, I had a purple dotty and a tomato clown in a 55 - and those were the only fish I _could_ have in that tank. They killed anything else I tried to add, and I don't trust 'em any more.

~Bruce

OP
OP
P

Pimpnyou204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the coral beauty in the store and was actually going to snag it up but when I was talking the people in the store and it’s a 50/50 what they will do to coral. And I am the person who once a fish enters and only leaves if it dies so i chose the Tahiti tang at that point but I may get one anyways bcuz I have no coral and it’s young and it may not mess with it bcuz it grew up with out any for so long kind of thing you know maybe idk lol

I have heard wrasse can be territorial but didn’t think the six line was but that’s ok there’s plenty of others that are pretty or prettier.

I was told you really should only have 1 gobby per tank and most ppl recommend none. My sand bed was pretty dirty to mine and he keeps the 350 dam near clean all the time I’d fear a second wouldn’t have enough food and I’d have to basically put extra for him to eat.

Some how though for some reason I got ocellaris from a guy near me with his rock and stuff. Went to the fish store and want this pair of clowns (haven’t paired yet) and I wanted them and then the wife wanted the cow looking one so I got the 3 and mixed the 4 together and for some reason. It’s literally an orgy they never separate each other no one attacks the other. The get along very well.... for now.

Lots of fish to look into now some I haven’t heard or seen so they may have to be an online order batch I’ll have to do next.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally blennies are pretty territorial (but even at that, you could probably have a couple - midas blennies hang out in the water column, lawnmower and starry blennies scrape the rocks for algae. I have a starry and a midas blenny in my 220, with relatively little friction), but gobies, in my experience, are better behaved - and different species of gobies utilize different parts of the tank. Yours is a sandsifter, but watchmen / shrimpgobies sift relatively little sand, instead snatching passing plankton. Neon gobies also take plankton, but are cleaners as well. Clown gobies stay among the rock, or the branches of SPS - but can sometimes nip at the corals, especially if breeding.

There's a whole wide world to be explored - and by the way, Welcome to Reef2Reef!

~Bruce

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back