36g bow front, first time reefer

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new to saltwater and R2R and am setting up a small mixed reef in my living room. I set the tank up using 40 pounds of pink fiji sand and roughly 35 pounds of live rock from multiple different LFS. The first rocks came with an urchin and some bristleworms etc, pretty intimidating stuff at first coming from freshwater ha. I ran the tank about 1 week before adding the first fish, a pair of clowns. 1 of them jumped out even with a glass lid ( i didn't have the plastic strip cut to size on the back yet). The tank has been running for about a month now and is stocked with 3 clowns, a six line wrasse, a pink tip condy nem, and a few assorted coral frags. I was skeptical about getting the nem and got nervous for about 3 days when it was hiding in the rocks but it's been back out for days now and looks healthy to me.

I haven't done very much maintenance to this tank in the month its been running, only a couple small water changes like 4-5 gallons at a time. I think the live rock basically instant cycled the tank much like i would do with freshwater tanks and old dirty media. One of the biggest rocks I got was out of this little old ladys pet shop probably been in her frag tank for 10 years just covered in coralline and tons of life.

The tank has a canister filter with a surface skimmer im running and a UV bulb in it, 2 cheap powerheads, an aqua clear HOB with just a sponge and a piece of live rock in it, i'm going to turn this into a refugium soon as that sounds like a good idea. Running a 165 watt viparspectra light it seems like it has enough punch for me.

I'm feeding ROD's mostly and sometimes a couple flakes, the fish and the nem seem very happy with that. I still am kind of lost as far as coral placements and such, I like mushrooms and zoas but i also want rock flower nems for sure, and my condy nem moves around apparently stinging everything it would cross, so im not sure if its worth my time to buy tons of corals if i plan on having nems. Anyways, here are a few photos of my progress, looking forward to learning from experienced reefers here!

IMG_0049.JPG IMG_0050.JPG IMG_0051.JPG IMG_0052.JPG IMG_0054.JPG IMG_0056.JPG

OP
OP
RipVanWinkle

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks looking good lately, I’m very happy the clowns figured out they want to live in my BTA. I have a third clown I’m removing soon because they don’t want him around. Going to put him on my nightstand and get him a pal. Very minimal maintenance on this tank so far.

02CC3022-BCA7-4ACD-858B-54D86EE737B0.jpeg
94E7378A-7480-4BCD-8D5D-7C3CEBFD72BE.jpeg

OP
OP
RipVanWinkle

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely looking tank dude! What all do you have in it now?
Thank you, it has a pair of black clowns, flame angel, and a six line wrasse for fish. Sexy shrimp and a camel shrimp (*******), a seattle sunburst BTA the clowns live in, a pink tip condy that moves too much, and a big diverse snail and crab crew. Also a pencil urchin, sea slug, and like a 9” bristle worm all whom were not invited.

I had a third clown but the pair hated him so he’s in my nano I’m building now and I found a nice Picasso to pair him with at the LFS.

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, it has a pair of black clowns, flame angel, and a six line wrasse for fish. Sexy shrimp and a camel shrimp (*******), a seattle sunburst BTA the clowns live in, a pink tip condy that moves too much, and a big diverse snail and crab crew. Also a pencil urchin, sea slug, and like a 9” bristle worm all whom were not invited.

I had a third clown but the pair hated him so he’s in my nano I’m building now and I found a nice Picasso to pair him with at the LFS.
Absolutely gorgeous, dude! Is the camel shrimp really that bad tho? I’ve heard they’re coral eaters
How’s the nano for the little bullied clown coming?

OP
OP
RipVanWinkle

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The camel shrimp nips at things and I suspect he caused the disappearance of a small rock flower nem. He especially likes to bother the condy nem, I want to get rid of both of these guys actually, both were impulse petco purchases I made early and regret. Neither are good in a reef tank. The condy doesn’t stay put and stings aggressively.

The clown and his new buddy-
image.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
RipVanWinkle

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been running this tank for awhile now, all the fish are still doing great but I want to transfer it all into a new vessel. My rocks are mostly covered in coral but there are a **** ton of these pesky anemones (bought as rock flower but they get big) that bred in my tank. Any way to transfer the rocks but wipe these guys out along the way?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 79 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back