4 clownfish in one tank ?

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 70 gallon tank that currently has one clownfish which is quite small probably around 1.5 inches and I was wondering if I could add 3 more clowns that would be all around the same size they will be occellaris clowns

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High chance of success. Nothing to worry about. Usually helps if there all from the same batch but not a requirement.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High chance of success. Nothing to worry about. Usually helps if there all from the same batch but not a requirement.
Also can you have 3 clownfish in the same tank ? If I add 2 to the one I have. I’m just trying to have more options

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had 4 for about a week, so can't speek to long term. 2 of them claimed the nems and chased the others off, it was kinda funny to see the one of them get accepted into the nem 'cool kids club' and then start being a jerk to the others that moments before were it's friends. Then the new kids got everyone sick with brook. :'(

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also can you have 3 clownfish in the same tank ? If I add 2 to the one I have
i had 4 for about a week, so can't speek to long term. 2 of them claimed the nems and chased the others off, it was kinda funny to see the one of them get accepted into the nem 'cool kids club' and then start being a jerk to the others that moments before were it's friends. Then the new kids got everyone sick with brook. :'(
Thank you for contributing to this thread. That sucks I’m sorry that happened to you

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oscillarus and percula clownfish are known to not get along but are generally okay in the same aquarium imo. As long as the can develop there own territories (larger aquarium). Its worth saying that if there wild caught they'll be much more aggressive (rare these days). The only thing really not to do is put maroon clownfish in with them as they are super dominant. Not an expert but I can answer the question,

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oscillarus and percula clownfish are known to not get along but are generally okay in the same aquarium imo. As long as the can develop there own territories (larger aquarium). Its worth saying that if there wild caught they'll be much more aggressive (rare these days). The only thing really not to do is put maroon clownfish in with them as they are super dominant. Not an expert but I can answer the question,
We tried 3 for a while, once. Worked fine, until they hit puberty and two of them became a mated pair, leaving the third as odd man out. We got him out, thankfully, because the pair would have eventually killed him.
How long did it work for and how big were they when you got them

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M
im Getting all occellaris

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M

I have two clown fish that tolerate each other but do not seem to be 'paired'. No idea on how to tell this difference between the two types and if this might be the reason they have not paired.

KevyKevTPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it work for and how big were they when you got them

I want to say it was like 2-3 months, and they were very small when we got them. Pretty sure they were newborns, and they came as a throuple, but what I cannot say is whether or not they were aquacultured. I think they were, because they never did take to a nem, and I remember thinking that was because they had never seen one before in their entire lives and had no idea what they were supposed to do with it.

The good news is that once we got the odd man out, well, out, it was peace and harmony from that point forward.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M

Should work out the largest one always asserts dominance and becomes the female. If there from the same clutch and the same size it can get confusing. The second smallest is the dominant male. And the rest are male but not dominant. My favorite have always been black clownfish myself. Like a true black snowflake without the orange nose. Often in the wild clownfish are found in small groups around a anemone.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say it was like 2-3 months, and they were very small when we got them. Pretty sure they were newborns, and they came as a throuple, but what I cannot say is whether or not they were aquacultured. I think they were, because they never did take to a nem, and I remember thinking that was because they had never seen one before in their entire lives and had no idea what they were supposed to do with it.

The good news is that once we got the odd man out, well, out, it was peace and harmony from that point forward.
That’s good

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should work out the largest one always asserts dominance and becomes the female. If there from the same clutch and the same size it can get confusing. The second smallest is the dominant male. And the rest are male but not dominant. My favorite have always been black clownfish myself. Like a true black snowflake without the orange nose. Often in the wild clownfish are found in small groups around a anemone.
Is this for 3 clownfish or 4 clownfish or both

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only buy one more, 75 gallon tank isnt really large enough for 2 pairs, you will most likely end up with 1 pair and 2 dead ones in under a year if you get 4. Could it work, yes but a much lower possibility of that happening

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clown fish that tolerate each other but do not seem to be 'paired'. No idea on how to tell this difference between the two types and if this might be the reason they have not paired.
Yeah I had the same thing they were in the same tank but didn’t really look like they were paired

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only buy one more, 75 gallon tank isnt really large enough for 2 pairs, you will most likely end up with 1 pair and 2 dead ones in under a year if you get 4. Could it work, yes but a much lower possibility of that happening
Could 3 work ?

Back