4 stage plus ro/di

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that getting the pressure up will help your production. More so, you might also choose to run a different DI resin configuration to maximize efficiency. It's likely that just the anion portion of your DI resin is being depleted while the cation is still good. Running the pro series DI configuration with the 3 DI resins (cation, anion, and then mixed bed) would be ideal, but for instances with high CO2 specific issues, you might choose to run the first DI canister with Anion resin, then add on a second DI canister with the pro series mixed bed resin. This way, you'll be able to change out the anion as needed without wasting the cation resin.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that getting the pressure up will help your production. More so, you might also choose to run a different DI resin configuration to maximize efficiency. It's likely that just the anion portion of your DI resin is being depleted while the cation is still good. Running the pro series DI configuration with the 3 DI resins (cation, anion, and then mixed bed) would be ideal, but for instances with high CO2 specific issues, you might choose to run the first DI canister with Anion resin, then add on a second DI canister with the pro series mixed bed resin. This way, you'll be able to change out the anion as needed without wasting the cation resin.
Are you talking running something like https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/triple-di-saver-kit-with-resin-and-tds-meter-bulk-reef-supply.html or https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dual-deionization-phosphate-co2-silica-eliminator-brs.html?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, the first link is what they are saying is the ideal setup and your second link is their alternative method.

You might shoot an email off to your city water department and just see if they have CO2 readings for the water. Probably don't but doesn't hurt to ask.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Always run unit 2-4 minutes before producing actual RO water

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the first link is what they are saying is the ideal setup and your second link is their alternative method.

You might shoot an email off to your city water department and just see if they have CO2 readings for the water. Probably don't but doesn't hurt to ask.
So could I get https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dual-deionization-phosphate-co2-silica-eliminator-brs.html and in my current system that is using mix bed di resin run cartion resin? So it would go cartion, anion then mixed bed? or would I be better off running something else in place of the cartion?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So could I get https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dual-deionization-phosphate-co2-silica-eliminator-brs.html and in my current system that is using mix bed di resin run cartion resin? So it would go cartion, anion then mixed bed? or would I be better off running something else in place of the cartion?

Running a cation resin, anion resin, then mixed bed (all 3 of the Pro series resins) would be ideal. This dual canister in your link added to the end of your current 4 stage RO system would give you a total of 3 DI stages, so that's a good option if you want to run all three.

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a cation resin, anion resin, then mixed bed (all 3 of the Pro series resins) would be ideal. This dual canister in your link added to the end of your current 4 stage RO system would give you a total of 3 DI stages, so that's a good option if you want to run all three.
So DI stages remove CO2? I thought CO2 negatively effected DI. Wouldn't it be ideal to remove the CO2 before entering the RODI unit?

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an alternative I could add a single canister and run just anion and mixed bed correct?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So DI stages remove CO2? I thought CO2 negatively effected DI. Wouldn't it be ideal to remove the CO2 before entering the RODI unit?

Removing first is ideal but not practical for most people.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? What's involved?

My understanding is you would need to store the water in something such as a trash can, aerate it to get the CO2 out and then pump it thru the di cartridge. Not sure how long it takes to get the CO2 down. I've seen threads on here of people doing it and it seems like a hassle to me but it is cheaper then buying the di I guess.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CO2 does deplete Anion DI resin quite quickly. There are two ways to look at this issue. One is to de gas the CO2. This is the part that isn't practical for a lot of reefers. This would involve producing RO only water into a storage container. From there, we run a pump in that container to de gas some of the CO2. After about 24 hours, we then use a pump to slowly pump that water through the DI resin and into a separate storage container. This method is time consuming and requires extra space for the additional storage container. Not to mention the extra pumps to circulate the water and later pump it through the DI.

Alternatively, since the CO2 only really affects the Anion resin, we can run a canister with just anion resin. This way, when the resin gets used up, we can throw away just the anion as there isn't any other resin type mixed in.

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 does deplete Anion DI resin quite quickly. There are two ways to look at this issue. One is to de gas the CO2. This is the part that isn't practical for a lot of reefers. This would involve producing RO only water into a storage container. From there, we run a pump in that container to de gas some of the CO2. After about 24 hours, we then use a pump to slowly pump that water through the DI resin and into a separate storage container. This method is time consuming and requires extra space for the additional storage container. Not to mention the extra pumps to circulate the water and later pump it through the DI.

Alternatively, since the CO2 only really affects the Anion resin, we can run a canister with just anion resin. This way, when the resin gets used up, we can throw away just the anion as there isn't any other resin type mixed in.
So... Could you do ... Anion... Anion... Cation.... Then mixed bed?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... Could you do ... Anion... Anion... Cation.... Then mixed bed?

If you're going to run two single beds, you do have to run the Cation first, then Anion, then Mixed bed for this to work properly. You could however run Cation, Anion, Anion, Mixed bed if you wanted to. I think Ryan covers this really well in this video.

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have low tds going in and you still deplete resin fast.... Isn't that a good indicator of CO2?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%

Back