40 breeder cabinet build

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a long absence from this hobby I decided to come back. This time with I’m going to try to keep it simple with a 40 breeder and no sump. Previously I had a 75 with a sump.

Anyway here’s some shots of the cabinet I built using plain old 2x4’s and wrapping it with paneling from Menards

I used a Kreg jig and some wood screws to build the frame and a little bit of glue and brad nails to attach the paneling.

The doors are poplar 1x4’s that I ripped into 1x3’s and then mitered and glued together. I routered inside the back of the doors so the panels would set flush inside them.

The drawers are 1/2” plywood. I used rabbet joints on the drawer corners and used glue and brad nails to put the drawers together.

The trim was from Menards also and was painted with white primer. I used my sander to give it a distressed look and then sprayed clear coat on it.

My wife chose the paneling and trim to match the rest of the furniture in the living room.

I wanted a trucker mud flap girl theme but nooooo….

Anyway it was pretty easy and turned out alright I think.
3721576B-0CA5-4069-A452-DDA4CBF0E5DD.jpeg
E53CCDF6-87B3-4190-B474-DDA78D0B4AD2.jpeg
33EF80B9-CC02-4F2D-A5B4-D38986906C7E.jpeg
8AB8E539-65E9-46B7-8FF4-73105F3BE1A1.jpeg
8F5761B1-05C3-4004-B8B6-D0610BBC200E.jpeg

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks nice but I would think you will hate those drawers after a while. Make sure it’s easy to take them out easily.

You’re going yo have lots of equipment with cables in this cabinet and I can’t imagine how it’s doable in a drawer.

You also need a bucket for your ATO. The most practical is having it in the cabinet. So one side should not even have a shelf.

OP
OP
Thumbster

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks.

It’s a regular 40 breeder Aqueon. I have 5% window tint on the back. It hides the HOB filter fairly well.

My plan this go around was to keep it simple. I’m going to use a HOB filter, a couple power heads,
and a protein skimmer only if I absolutely have to.

I am going to have a couple clown fish, zoa’s, star polyps and other relatively easy to keep corals. Right now I have two Fluval Marine 3.0’s for lights. They should be able to handle the corals fairly well and I like their app. The colors are decent also, I’ve seen way worse.

On the back I made a small shelf where my power strip sets and it hides all the wires. My ATO is going to be me and a jug of water lol.

I had no plans for a sump on this tank. I debated drilling the bottom for about thirty seconds but then remembered how much I hated not having any storage in the cabinet on my 75 because it was filled with a sump and all the other equipment. I went the complete opposite direction with this.

I used ball bearing drawers slides and they move pretty easily.

OP
OP
Thumbster

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to make a top for it also with the leftover paneling.

I used 1”x4”’s ripped in half for the frame. It’s fairly light and I can scoot it back if I need to get arm deep in the tank for something.

The lights are just setting on the framing right now but I’ll probably add some bracing using wood blocks or something. Or I might switch out the lights altogether and go a different direction. Need to find something that can fit in the canopy and set within 6” or so of the water surface.
IMG_1012.jpeg
IMG_1017.jpeg
IMG_1016.jpeg

crestier18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amazing!! The top flipping back is genius. My mother in law has a top on her 75 and it's the biggest PITA to get off to do maintenance.

OP
OP
Thumbster

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amazing!! The top flipping back is genius. My mother in law has a top on her 75 and it's the biggest PITA to get off to do maintenance.
Forgot to mention that if you have a circular saw and a straight edge you could probably do that to an existing canopy depending on how it’s made.

I bought the hinge at menards.
IMG_1102.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back