40 Breeder final fish

KingRobot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clown fish, one firefish and a royal gramma in my 40 breeder currently. I want to add one more fish but I'm not sure what to add. I was thinking of adding a chromis but I read that they should be kept in pairs or groups and I don't know if I can add more than one. I am also considering a wrasse but websites suggest a 55 gallon tank for most of them. Will a 40 gallon be enough? I could always get a blenny but I kind of want a active fish that will swim around and I don't know how active blennies are. Any recommendations?

Fishpro7897

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about active fish, but my lawnmower blenny is one of the most active fish in my tank he is always swimming around and nipping at rocks. But that could just be mine

Losirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower Blennies are generally pretty active. You could get some Cardinalfish such as the Bangaii or Pajama Cardinals.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure cardinal fish are about as inactive as they come…

I’d highly recommend a bicolor or tailspot blenny. They both stay a little smaller than lawnmower blennies, and they are super entertaining, constantly moving from rock hole to rock hole, watching you through the glass all the time.

I know there are some species of wrasse that stay small enough to be happy and healthy in a 40g breeder, but I don’t know enough about them to recommend which species. I do know if you read through a few pages of the wrasse lovers thread that’s stickied, you’ll find lots of similar questions and advice on which species are appropriate for smaller tanks.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banggai cardinals are relatively stationary, until they randomly zoom around the tank. They are like fighter jets… they spend most of their time moving really slowly on the ground but then intermittently rocket across the tank :)

Bicolor and tailspots are really fun too tho! And the starry blenny the mrs and I had for a few years was a character, followed us around the tank wherever we looked as soon as it began to associate us with food.

79C457D6-3860-40C0-AECC-93EC307E63B5.jpeg
33C02A6E-8A05-4C60-95EE-A1822A67B2FF.jpeg

StarksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lawnmower blenny is fine in a 40. I got one as well, just make sure it eats. For a wrasse you could look into the flasher wrasses. The McCoskers flasher wrasse for example is fine in a 40. These wrasse don't go after pests in my experience if that is what you are looking for.
Instead of a chromis you could do an azure damsel, nice active fish with great coloration!

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A blackbar chromis would go great in there. You could do 3 if you want, theyre cheap. Peaceful and active, dodging around

Screenshot_20210812-004234_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back