40 Breeder Plumbing

Kyle079

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am working on plumbing a new 40 breeder and had a few questions. This is my first tank so I want to make sure I am getting it right.

I have this overflow box: https://www.marinedepot.com/marine-depot-elite-overflow-box-w-holesaw-drill-bit-large
When doing some test fits the highest I can get the box in the tank without the rim getting in the way the bottom of the weir is lower than the edge of the rim. I am worried about the water level of the DT. Will this be a problem that this does not line up? If I put it in and the water level is below the rim how would I go about raising the water level?

The overflow has 1 inch returns and I will be doing a bean animal config. For the returns should I do 1 3/4 inch return or 2 1/2 inch? I like the idea of 2 smaller returns. I was thinking of doing a run of 3/4 from the return pump, then split it to 2 1/2 inch going to both the returns. Most of it is for symmetry reasons.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't a need to get the weir to the very tippy top of the tank. It just limits how high your water line is. I personally don't do mine to the very top, since it gives me some extra room for any potential disasters.
As far as the returns, that overflow does not have returns. All of those holes are for the overflow into the sump. Two primary and one emergency overflow. Perhaps you just misspoke?
I'd split the returns. I prefer to cut down the flow from my returns, since they are a bit more linear, and I like my wavepumps to provide most of the flow in my tanks.

OP
OP
Kyle079

Kyle079

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I misspoke I did not mean 1 in returns but rather drain lines. I am going to run 3/4 inch then reduce them to 1/2 in at the bulkhead. This should allow even flow with dual returns without taking up a ton of space in the tank.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay with a 1" drain. I would not restrict drains below 1".

You can run your emergency drain into the secondary with sucess though.

Screenshot_20200910-130110_Gallery.jpg

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking from personal experience, 1" drains are total overkill on a 40 breeder if you're going full siphon. I'd go with 3/4". Also, make sure you place the tank far enough from the wall so that you can remove drain lines and clean them if necessary. In order to do this you'll also need to use union fittings in strategic spots.
With return lines, you should decide on the pump you want to use then size the pipe to the pump. Some pumps would be really restricted with 1/2" pipe.

Protodad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay with a 1" drain. I would not restrict drains below 1".

You can run your emergency drain into the secondary with sucess though.

Screenshot_20200910-130110_Gallery.jpg
That photo is exactly what I was looking for. Did you go over the top or drill through the tank for the returns. It’s hard to make out

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back