40 breeder stocking

fishy fishy wishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, i'd like to start a saltwater and have gone through many ideas in my head and have really been taking lots of time and effort i to thinking of what to put in my tank while gettibg it all ready and i was thinking, what kind of fish could i put in the tank while having no corals or anything, just rocks/decor i feel like it should be easy but i dont know if some fish need the corals to feel safe or anything. like possibly a dwarf lion with something else in the tank (i saw a dwarf lion at fish store and i'm in love) or anything else but i dont wanna be spending lots of money on any corals or live plants or anything of that sort. or buying the light and anythibg else they need. i know i just typed up a big paragraph i just wanna be sure about what i'm getting into

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I personally believe a dwarf lion needs a larger tank than a 40B, with the exception of the fu manchu; If you are interested in keeping one please click my name and "find all threads". You will find tons of info on care and especially feeding on lions and other similar fish. Dwarf lions are challenging to keep long term, so do your research and see if you are up to the challenge. I use a 40B as a grow out tank, and in a years time they are ready to transfer to a larger tank.

OP
OP
F

fishy fishy wishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hm okay then, maybe anglers of some sort? or even a toadfish? (i love ugly fish). i want my fish to be happy and if a dwarf lion wont do well in a 40 breeder i wont subject it to that

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An angler would do well in a 40g, any variety, even a giant. Anglers do best alone or the smaller variety like the warty, could have an appropriate tank mate. Anglers will eat things their own size and even each other, so in a 40g your choices in tank mates are small. Anglers are also sedentary so you don't want anyone that would pick on them. Tank mates for a warty in a 40B could include a leaf fish, a yellow spotted scorp, or a fu manchu. Just make sure neither can eat the other. My favorite angler, is the painted, he would do well alone in the 40. Be prepare to feed these guys live food, many won't take dead food or they just don't live that long on a dead food only diet. So you need to have a resource for live food like ghost shrimp, guppies, and mollies. A 40 is too small for a toadfish.

If you want to see something ugly(not, so fascinating), check out one my newest creatures. He would eventually eat a warty, but would be fine alone. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sea-goblin-mr-freaks.866255/

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fishy fishy wishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh my gosh i love it, what kind of venomous fish could i keep in the 40 breeder or at least keep until i can upgrade to a 75, as ling as its not too insane to care for i should be all good with it. i love ugly fish and venomous fish please tell me more!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can click my name and "find all threads" to see a bunch of my current and past venomous fish, along with their care. I currently have 13 in 3 tanks. There are a number of scorps that can live in a 40, the trick is working with whats available. Do some of your own research and when you find what you like, and whats available, I'll ne happy to answer any questions.

Here's an online source. and you can ask your lfs what is available they can special order for you.

OP
OP
F

fishy fishy wishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love the Scorpaenopsis diabolus and the inimicus didactylus, is there any way i would be able to have both of those in a tank and possibly one other scorpaena brasiliensis?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh my gosh i love it, what kind of venomous fish could i keep in the 40 breeder or at least keep until i can upgrade to a 75, as ling as its not too insane to care for i should be all good with it. i love ugly fish and venomous fish please tell me more!
Fang blennies are not a fish most would normally think of as venomous… but they are, and many people enjoy caring for them. I am not sure if they would be compatible with the other fish listed on this thread, but I would doubt it.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love the Scorpaenopsis diabolus and the inimicus didactylus, is there any way i would be able to have both of those in a tank and possibly one other scorpaena brasiliensis?

The Scorpaenopsis diabolus may get a little too large for the 40; this guy will top out true to max size around 12", while many others will not. I am keeping a scorpaena brasiliensis(barbfish) with my inimicus didactylus(goblin) in a 40B. The thing about keeping multiple ambush predators together is feeding. While both of these guys will accept dead food, a dead food only diet will almost always lead to nutritional deficiencies, and death within a year to year and and half. Feeding live food can be tricky to get everyone fed, the barbfish is super fast and will devour everything and give no one else a chance to eat. The goblin is slow, so you need to make sure everyone gets fed, it can be tricky and I have seen less experienced let the slower hunters starve unknowingly. Just a heads up as long as you are up too, the barbfish and goblin can be kept together, and you could add another, but be aware you will be fending the barbfish from eating all the food. The barbfish will jump and the tank needs to covered; many scorps will jump. Also think about a refugium or algae reactor to aid to filtration, that's rhe way you manage the heavy load these guys produce, 3 in a 40 really needs the macro algae.

OP
OP
F

fishy fishy wishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a bichir with some cichlids at some point and i had to fend off the cichlids for the bichir to be able to eat and i duct tape the glass hood down due to my last fish (red wolf fish) i would definitely be willing to specialize the feeding to be able to feed the goblin with the scorp in there, do you know how personable these fish are?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a bichir with some cichlids at some point and i had to fend off the cichlids for the bichir to be able to eat and i duct tape the glass hood down due to my last fish (red wolf fish) i would definitely be willing to specialize the feeding to be able to feed the goblin with the scorp in there, do you know how personable these fish are?

The reason I like these fish so much is because they actually connect with you. They will follow you around, dancing and spinning around when they want you to feed them. They do recognize individuals as I have proved many times to my friends, as they react to me differently and sometimes only me. The most fun is feeding live and watching their natural hunting techniques. The barbfish is just a beast and attacks, while the goblin stalks. If the goblin is buried its a shocker to see him open up and swallow a fish, kind of like a crocodile.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back