40 cube stock

voiceinthedesert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I picked up a 40 cube (drilled with 20 gallon sump) and am trying to decide what to do with it. The original inspiration for the purchase was to build a setup for a Fuzzy Dwarf Lion. I've also thought about a small puffer. The tank is rimless and won't have a canopy, so whatever is in there can't be a jumper.

Any other "nano" predator fish I should consider? I assume that whatever I get will likely live alone or with minimal accompaniment since it seems most lions, puffers and whatnot don't play well with others in this size.

For the other stuff, I might do some softies or LPS, but nothing that requires intense flow or intense lighting.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fuzzies jump, big time. I've never seen a fu manchu jump, by watching the zebra I'd think he would jump also. A flame hawkfish is a good choice in you don't get a dwarf lion. They perch and are deadly predators, considering their size and they don't have a swim bladder. A small puffer is a good choice.

OP
OP
V

voiceinthedesert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww, I'd never heard that Lions are jumpers, that bums me out. I guess I could get one of those eggcrate cover things.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww, I'd never heard that Lions are jumpers, that bums me out. I guess I could get one of those eggcrate cover things.

Luckily the 1st time I found out he went into the overflow. Since then I have found a few in the overflow before covering. You could make a mesh top that would look much cleaner.

OP
OP
V

voiceinthedesert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I did some googling and found cheap options to make a mesh cover or just DIY one. Thanks for the heads up. I've kept a Dwarf Lion before, but didn't know he was a jumper since it was a normal, covered tank.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back