40 Gallon Breeder Sump DIY - Feedback?

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my next step in the tank build I have going.

Would love your feedback.
IMG_7788.JPG

Would love to hear anything I missed... I am also interested in what you would buy if you don't DIY... I liked this giveaway because it is custom (I have specific items I wanted in mine)..

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/synergy-custom-sumptacular-giveaway.513/

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job but how big is your return pump? The section looks a bit small.

Since I already had the jebao pumps for powerheada and a coral box skimmer I went with the Jecod 9000 pump so I can do up to you around 1700 gallons an hour with head pressure. The bottom under that last Baffle is not very low so there shouldn’t be any real suction problems I don’t think. What have you experienced in the past? What should I be leery of with that space?

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say expansion of the panels do you mean where I can raise and lower them or do you mean some other expansion?

plastic expands when saturated with water. you never want the panels to touch glass. you should have about 1/8” space in between all plastic/glass.

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I should have made the spaces bigger... i have about 1/8 total between the two sides combined... Not sure if this matters this is poly carbonate not acrylic. That said I likely will have some bowling going on if it expands then. I’ll update this thread with what happens once I get some water in here for a bit thank you for the feedback again

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes is right I actually went out and looked at poly carbonate versus things like nylon and acrylic and poly carbonate doesn’t absorb very much so my hope is that I have the ability to use the space in between the glass and the poly carbonate for expansion. That said I can say I never knew about this until you brought it up so thank you. If I do end up having problems I will let the group know

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up checking this one out...
https://www.ipolymer.com/pdf/Polycarbonate.pdf

Looks like .12% water absorption on polycarbonate meaning on a 17.25" piece I would expand about .02" or about 1/40 of an inch'. I am SURE I have more than that between the panel and the glass. Was yours right up against the glass?

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not been able to get any dividers other than glass to stay put long term. They always held for a while (more than 3 months but less than a year). I wound up re-doing my sumps with glass dividers I had cut and polished at a local glass shop.

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not been able to get any dividers other than glass to stay put long term. They always held for a while (more than 3 months but less than a year). I wound up re-doing my sumps with glass dividers I had cut and polished at a local glass shop.

I was wondering about that as I don’t see a lot of hybrid system is on there. Thank you for the feedback will see how this goes. At least I have the measurements for the glass for the next round...

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about that as I don’t see a lot of hybrid system is on there. Thank you for the feedback will see how this goes. At least I have the measurements for the glass for the next round...
If you go the glass route - ask them to round the corners to prevent potentially damaging the silicone inside the tank.

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, from personal experience, mine was fairly snug, and after a few months it cracked. I had 30 gallons of saltwater on my hardwood floor.
20180828_190413.jpeg

Thanks so much. I am debating pulling out the baffles and cutting them down a bit. Did you say yours were acrylic or polycarbonate...? With the .35% top equilibrium expansion noted on wikipedia my sump would need about 1/16" but I was hoping that the bowing in the middle of the sheets could handle it... That said, if yours was polycarbonate I am thinking I will take mine out and fix it...

Thanks again, Andy

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I went ahead and did it. I pulled all the baffles and have scraped everything clean and cut them down another 1/8th" . My wife wants to tell everyone "thanks for preventing disaster on our living room floor"... :) . More pictures when It is done CORRECTLY...

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, from personal experience, mine was fairly snug, and after a few months it cracked. I had 30 gallons of saltwater on my hardwood floor.
20180828_190413.jpeg

This is just one of the reasons I would have went with glass.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the plane for the egg crate? Your not going to put a sponge on it are you?

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my next step in the tank build I have going.

Would love your feedback.
IMG_7788.JPG

Would love to hear anything I missed... I am also interested in what you would buy if you don't DIY... I liked this giveaway because it is custom (I have specific items I wanted in mine)..

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/synergy-custom-sumptacular-giveaway.513/

I wouldn’t buy a sump those things are a rip off. It cost me $60 to make mine where if I would have bought it it would have been a few hundred.

Back