40 Gallon Mixed Reef - First time Reefer

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would def remove the top 3 rocks, if you plan on having coral. they will need room to grow, more room for fish to swim and better flow... But do as you please, its your tank after all.
your Fuge light I would put much closer to your sump, you dont want to be growing algae everywhere down there and you'll get better PAR for you algae down there.

Welcome to reef life, and empty wallet lol

Patrick.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! If it were my scape I would remove the one middle rock, creating a valley with 2 mountains. I don't think there's anything wrong with having some high areas though. There are definitely some corals that would love it up there.

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Day 4 Results -
Ammonia: 1.3 ppm
Nitrite: .3 ppm
Nitrate: 3 ppm

D4.jpeg
After the tests tonight, I do believe ammonia is on the way down. Good to see nitrite rising now as well. I'm not sure where that will eventually peak but I'm using this time to lay out where I would like some of my corals to go.

The below was just put together based on what the coral looks like and where it could be featured on the live rock. I took lighting into consideration slightly. Please feel free to review and provide suggestions considering light and flow requirements. Once the tank is fully cycled and seeded, I might remove that piece of live rock that is top middle and either place it in my sump or break it up and use it for the islands.

DSC02399 (1) (1).JPG

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still just waiting...

- Day 5 Results -
Ammonia: 1.4 ppm
Nitrite: .5 ppm
Nitrate: 2 ppm

D5.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Day 6 Results -
Ammonia: 1.3 ppm
Nitrite: .8 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

D6.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a busy last week with the WWC Fragtoberfest 2-day live sale the same weekend as my wedding and mini-honeymoon so testing hasn't been as frequent. I've abandoned the graph but my readings from tonight are as follows:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 2 ppm

I also got the Red Sea Foundation Pro Multi Test Kit so I have readings for magnesium, alkalinity, and calcium. I'm using the BRS 2 Part dosing system to reach the maintain the below levels:
Mg - 1350 mg/l
Alkalinity - 11.5 dKH
Ca - 450 mg/l

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your return kit from? Or did you have to buy the drill bit and parts separately for it. Getting ready to put a 40 breeder up and having trouble finding the return.

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your return kit from? Or did you have to buy the drill bit and parts separately for it. Getting ready to put a 40 breeder up and having trouble finding the return.
I bought the return plumbing from Bulk Reef Supply. I wanted to use the same drill bit for the return as my overflows so it's a 1 inch bulkhead reduced to 3/4 and then locline.

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can throw my 2 cents and experience in here, I'd say make your drains a little bigger than 1 inch. I'd say go as big as you can because if your drains need to accommodate your return pump flow (this includes any upgrades you will make in the future). If your drains are too small, that tank will be permanently limited to a certain flow rate. IMHE, it's a shame to go through the effort of drilling and plumbing your tank yourself, all to have it end up being too small due to lack of experience. Godspeed on whatever you decide, though.

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been quite busy since my last post. Current livestock is:

Fish:
2 x Ocellaris Clownfish
3 x Pajama Cardinalfish
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Orange Stripe Pawn Goby

Inverts:
Bullseye Snapping Shrimp
Scarlett Skunk Shrimp

CUC:
Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
Emerald Crabs
Fighting Conch
Cerith Snails
Nassarius Snails
Astraea Turbo Snails

Coral:
GSP
5 x Zoas
Octospawn
Hammer
Duncan
Blastomussa
Mushroom
Trumpet
Candy Cane
Pavona
Pocillopora

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had any problems with your shrimp eating any coral? I was looking at coral banded, skunk, or peppermint but worried they might eat my zoas.

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skunk is my wife's favourite addition to the tank. She did just ask if we could get a few Bartlett's Anthias after a visit to the LFS so it looks like that's what I'm planning for next.
9ada578f3d91178a4a463b4067142b47.jpg

And a FTS:
7e5ea3f712f0f4074bee188b444e9fc3.jpg

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had any problems with your shrimp eating any coral? I was looking at coral banded, skunk, or peppermint but worried they might eat my zoas.
The bullseye is no problem at all. I don't know why he's considered a shrimp when he seems to me like a lobster. He's set up a nice place for him under my largest rock by blowing out the sand and he pretty much keeps to himself. The skunk I can see touching zoas and other frags causing them to close for a little but I can't imagine him eating a coral. I'm sure more experienced reefers could provide some insight on the other shrimp you mentioned. My biggest worry for coral eaters is the coral beauty but I haven't seen him doing any nipping other than picking at some frozen food that has settled on a frag.

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For equipment I've added a GFO reactor from BRS supplied by it's own pump. A Vertex Omega 130 for skimming, and a JBJ ATO controller that kicks on a 50 mL/min dosing pump that's in the basement pumping freshwater from my mixing station.

The mixing station is one of my future projects to get plumbed. I have a Pan World 200PS that I got from a closing fish store for just $75 that will handle pumping fresh to the saltwater tank, mixing saltwater, and pumping saltwater to the display for WCs.

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really happy with how the tank is going. I have a slight algae issue on my higher rocks that I'm slowly trying to correct but other than that things are looking good. I was able to take some time to think about 2018 and my plans for the tank in the new year and while plans can always change, I'd like to focus on control and stability this year. I feel like I have everything necessary to keep the tank and inhabitants happy so I'd like it to remain stable and just let the corals do their thing. I plan to have an Apex on the tank by this spring and then get dosing started for when it will be needed. A webcam is also in the plans so I can keep an eye on the tank while away more to enjoy it than to ensure nothing is going awry. I took some cell phone pictures when I got home from dinner tonight to share with everyone.

IMG_20180103_194748.jpg

IMG_20180103_195030.jpg

IMG_20180103_194934.jpg

IMG_20180103_200938 (3).jpg

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The small Jebao PP-4 has been upgraded to a Vortech MP10W. I fell like there was an immediate response from the corals switching to the MP10. I run Reef Crest Mode at a little over 50%. I'd like to add an RFG to my locline on the return soon. That should cover flow for now. I have a new LED grow light coming tomorrow to hang over the fuge to get my chaeto growing. I've been disappointed by the lack of growth and I'd really like to see less algae on the sand. Other than that the tank is looking crystal clear and corals are doing well. As I type this I'm acclimating a Banggai cardinal to add to the tank tonight. I've had him in my nano tank for a little over a week.
IMG_20180119_181258.jpg

Back