40 Gallons with a few Soft Corals

Wrasses doing great in tank but too active to get good picture with iPhone:

wrasse_new1.JPG



Also got a halloween urchin and gold ring cowrie but the cowrie didn't make it:

urchin_halloween1.JPG


cowrie1.JPG
 
Halloween urchin that I got last week seems to be doing well but doesn't look very Halloweeny:
*unless maybe it's really a different type of urchin?

urchin_halloween_2026_07a.JPG



Aside note -- I gave the XL Nassarius snails that I noted in post# 155 back to LFS. Didn't want to chance them being predatory.
 
My recent "fun" is that my new alleged-Halloween urchin ate my tiny toadstool overnight.
Posted about that here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/urchin-ate-small-toadstool.1168900/

EDIT -- it was suggested in that thread that urchin is really "Salmacis bicolor" and that looks to be a good ID.
Those and other, similar, Salmacis urchins are primarily algae eaters but will also eat soft-bodied corals so are considered reef safe "with CAUTION."

I guess that explains it.
I doubt the tiny toadstool will recover but it's been resilient through much neglect for years so we'll see.
 
Last edited:
Was trying to use my wife's DSLR to get a better picture of my 2x Carpenter's flasher wrasse that I received on 7/24/2026 from Dr. Reef's but I think these are even worse than my previous iPhone pictures:

wrasse1.JPG



wrasse2.JPG



wrasse4.JPG
 
Bad picture of my 10G invert QT setup.
Just pulled out container of sand that was covering left 1/4 or so for nassarius snails but didn't think to take a picture first.

Snails are all in main tank now with just a couple of small urchins left in QT -- one tuxedo and one tiny pincushion.

IMG_3586.jpeg



Here's the tiny $12 pincushion urchin from PetCo:

IMG_3587.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Current picture.
Nothing new or exciting.
Two Carpenter's flasher wrasse are still getting along fine although (from reading), I'm ready to expect some aggression and have to remove one at some point,,, but we'll see.

FTS_2026_10a.JPG
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new