40g breeder sump setup help

HonorableWhat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to set up a 40g breeder for my 100g tank and im having trouble figuring out how to do it, I was hoping you experience people could help. Here's what I'm looking g for

1 reefmat 500, skimmer, refugium, 2 sicce 3.5.

Hiw would you setup the sump If it was you?

I'd like a decently large refugium if possible

Also, what sizes would the baffles be?

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely search R2R for others that have done this before. I suggest looking at the build threads because there are a ton of DIY reefers out there that have used 40-breeders for sumps.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you pretty much have your compartments in your thread haven’t you? :)

Water will flow into compartment no. 1 holding the ReefMat. Then it will flow under the first baffle into the refugium before overflowing in to the skimmer chamber where you can also fit any internal reactors before finally overflowing in to the return pump chamber.

Get all your gear, search the recommended water level for your skimmer and start building :)

Remember, baffles will have to be made from glass preferably to bind properly to your 40 gallon tank.

OP
OP
HonorableWhat

HonorableWhat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well tha
Well, you pretty much have your compartments in your thread haven’t you? :)

Water will flow into compartment no. 1 holding the ReefMat. Then it will flow under the first baffle into the refugium before overflowing in to the skimmer chamber where you can also fit any internal reactors before finally overflowing in to the return pump chamber.

Get all your gear, search the recommended water level for your skimmer and start building :)

Remember, baffles will have to be made from glass preferably to bind properly to your 40 gallon tank.
That was the question, would it be better to have the reef mat and skimmer running together in one section, then the refugium, then the return.

But I can't really do that unless I want a really low water level refugium, or I can put my skimmer on a stand since it reccomends a 6-7 inch waterlevel

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d keep the ReefMat and the Skimmer in two separate compartments for that very reason :) Although, i have seen many modified sumps around where the ReefMat and the skimmer are in the same compartment.

Place your ReefMat on the stand and you can pretty much adjust whatever height you want.

OP
OP
HonorableWhat

HonorableWhat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d keep the ReefMat and the Skimmer in two separate compartments for that very reason :) Although, i have seen many modified sumps around where the ReefMat and the skimmer are in the same compartment.

Place your ReefMat on the stand and you can pretty much adjust whatever height you want.
Yeah, I keep trying to keep the refugium as big as possible but I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet I think xD

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I keep trying to keep the refugium as big as possible but I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet I think xD
It’s always a compromise :) Look around for all the Red Sea Reefer Gen. 1 tanks that has been modified- there’s a lot of good examples on how much room it takes..

I run a Clarisea 3000 in my brand new Cade tank becuase i did not have enough room for a ReefMat without compromising on my skimmer/fuge compartment..

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 165 61.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 92 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.2%
Back