44galpentegontank

Me-n-macy-n-lilgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I am very new to this, but very anxious to start my own tank(aiming for a reef tank)....looking to add(stock) I believe is the right term,( if not please forgive me im sure you know what I mean)...few more things to like" coral".....Soooo want to make sure I get my parameters right....whats the best way to do that.But before I say anything further I was given this tank to me by a friend that just got tired of it.it also came with a maroon clown, black and white damnsel,blue Tang....and 4 live rock and live sand I've had it already about going on 2 months so I think cycling is good (right) cause I recently added a tri-color tang,3hermit crabs, trigger,4 blue damnsels and one light purple anemone with green tips.i have always wanted to have my own tank especially a (reef)tank.where I live no one is into this hobby or a passion for this....I would love to see one day a clown host a carpet or Duncan and all my family is friends get to experience that....(one day).....

20181003_110705.jpg

20181003_110705.jpg

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and to the reefing hobby in general!

The best thing for you to do right now is start by reading this thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/

Cycling is a process that varies in duration by the tank. You could very well be cycled. The only way to tell is to measure the parameters. The key parameters to track early on are: ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Ammonia is the first step in the nitrogen cycle. Bacteria will colonize the tank that will convert the ammonia into nitrite. Then more bacteria will grow that will convert nitrite into nitrate. Finally you get nitrite to nitrate bacteria. There's more to the nitrogen cycle than that, but that's what we call a cycle. So.... have you tested for these parameters? If so, what are yours?

There are more parameters we will want to know too, like salinity and temperature. These should be stable, but measuring them routinely is important.

Also, let us know what equipment you have. What lights, are you running a skimmer or other mechanical filtration?

Finally, unfortunately tangs are not suited for a tank that size, they get far too big. If you can, you should return the one you just bought and find a place to rehome the one that came with the tank. For now, I strongly suggest you stop adding anything to your tank. An adage we all like to repeat here is "Only bad things happen quickly in this hobby."

We'll get you squared away with your tank and help you put together a thriving reef!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back