45 Gallon Shallow Reef Build

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught an emerald crab (definitely an emerald) eating on my top right tenuis colony in the dark. He was strong. I forgot how strong those little devils are. But he was not not as strong as my stainless steel tweezers. He is no longer with us. I have a zero tolerance policy with things that eat my acros. I was wondering what all the odd melanurus behavior was about and how he was peeking into the corals. I thought he was scoping out polyps, but I never saw him touch a coral. He was stalking the crab through the tank I bet and going crazy. I wonder if that's the only one. The rest of the corals seem happy and are indeed empty. My tenuis wasn't extending its polyps, so my guess is that this crab came in hiding inside a colony, went loose in the tank and got busted by me! Getting a crab out of an acro colony is a PITA. Don't trust those things...they're little pieces of crap just like all their other ugly friends.

Now my tenuis can chill out and be happy. Man, I hate those things...ultimately my fault for not catching him from the getgo, but it's all good. I got him.:face-with-raised-eyebrow:
Do you not use any type of crabs for your CuC? What does your current CuC consist of?

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you not use any type of crabs for your CuC? What does your current CuC consist of?
Trochus Snails, a Diamond Goby and Pods...and me!

I'm limited because my flame hawk and melanurus are proven snail/hermit murderers.
And some of the other things people use, I don't want like cucumbers and such because if they die and you dont catch it. Forget it...

Last edited:
OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dinkins Aquatic Gardens ... this is exactly what I needed. Thank You!

Look at the density of this culture. I have a pretty powerful little LED flashlight to one side of the bottle and the light wont even pass through. That's a clear plastic bottle. This is how it's supposed to be done. Nothing I have received in the past was anywhere NEAR this good. This is what Winning looks like. And it definitely doesn't smell like losing. It's fresh no doubt. I'm all excited over phytoplankton. That's interesting... :grinning-squinting-face:

You guys are definitely my friends. hehe:cool:

The half gallon of Pods I received are great and very alive as well. Just dumped half of the bottle in between the tank and refugium, will dump the rest in later...and I gave the tank a good "fogging" of phyto. Let everything chew on that a while.

Just a little bit is enough to slightly cloud the water. Right on!

1706732269570.jpeg

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus Snails, a Diamond Goby and Pods...and me!

I'm limited because my flame hawk and melanurus are proven snail/hermit murderers.
And some of the other things people use, I don't want like cucumbers and such because if they die and you dont catch it. Forget it...
Heard lots of good things about Trochus Snails. That is what I plan to use primarily in my 60 cube. I might try a Halloween hermit or 2 as I have read good things about them and I am terrified of another hydroid invasion destroying my new build. Also plan on a Coris Wrasse (or similar wrasse for sand borrowing) and a goby to keep the sand bed pristine.

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard lots of good things about Trochus Snails. That is what I plan to use primarily in my 60 cube. I might try a Halloween hermit or 2 as I have read good things about them and I am terrified of another hydroid invasion destroying my new build. Also plan on a Coris Wrasse (or similar wrasse for sand borrowing) and a goby to keep the sand bed pristine.
They are a lot more resilient to predators than any of the others because they can right themselves if they flip.
At night they seem to migrate to the glass, but spend the day on the rocks and they make a difference. I probably need more of them because half of what I originally bought has been murdered, but it is what it is. I'll just get more. Hermits and other snails are eaten pretty quick.

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a vid I took a little while ago. Some things to note...

Look at all the plankton in the water. Look at the polyp extension on the corals. Everything is going really well.
The water was green earlier from the plankton dose I gave the tank. And it's slowly clearing up now even with the skimmer off. I added 1/4 gallon of pods to the refugium and display earlier while the lights were off. It's all going somewhere. lol We'll be doing these phyto feedings nightly in smaller portion. A lot of the LPS like my lobo like to extend their sweepers at night from what I've caught so far.

And I've also made an observation. I have two different colonies of Acropora Tenuis. One on the top right, and the blue ball center on the bottom. The colony up higher on the right doesn't seem to be as happy as the other sitting on the bottom. I'm going to wait a little while longer and keep observing. if I see less polyp extension, I'll put it on the bottom where it's buddy is doing great. No harm, no foul.

Everything is looking to be very healthy so far though. I'll figure out what's optimal for whom and do that.

And I've made another observation as well. I like the look of some of these coral colonies just sitting on the bottom and growing upwards man. I can see in my mind how that will look in a year once I am more heavily stocked.
I mean, the vertical space overhead should be for corals to all grow upwards and the more of that space I have, the better, right?

But I need more light to do that. How much more? I'll find out when my Parwise gets here in a few days. I'm thinking of either adding a radeon in the middle, getting really ballsy and buying an a500x for the middle, or surrounding what I have in reef brites since they integrate with my kessils and mounts? I'm not sure at this point, but I want a lot of light to keep all the demanding stuff where I can still have those two small dim areas on the ends for other stuff too. I want like 400+ PAR midwater depth and 500 near the surface. With a small tank like this, it shouldnt be hard to do with one more light.

Sabdali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just caught up with everything and wanted to say hi! Your tank is looking amazing and your patience is inspiring. Awesome work op.

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just caught up with everything and wanted to say hi! Your tank is looking amazing and your patience is inspiring. Awesome work op.
Thank You! Yes, when I was younger, my lack of patience/money to do things right usually ended in some kind of loss. It pays to make sure everything is right and not to instantly react to things. That's when you make mistakes. Will I make mistakes again? Sure! But hopefully a lot less than I used to. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a vid I took a little while ago. Some things to note...

Look at all the plankton in the water. Look at the polyp extension on the corals. Everything is going really well.
The water was green earlier from the plankton dose I gave the tank. And it's slowly clearing up now even with the skimmer off. I added 1/4 gallon of pods to the refugium and display earlier while the lights were off. It's all going somewhere. lol We'll be doing these phyto feedings nightly in smaller portion. A lot of the LPS like my lobo like to extend their sweepers at night from what I've caught so far.

And I've also made an observation. I have two different colonies of Acropora Tenuis. One on the top right, and the blue ball center on the bottom. The colony up higher on the right doesn't seem to be as happy as the other sitting on the bottom. I'm going to wait a little while longer and keep observing. if I see less polyp extension, I'll put it on the bottom where it's buddy is doing great. No harm, no foul.

Everything is looking to be very healthy so far though. I'll figure out what's optimal for whom and do that.

And I've made another observation as well. I like the look of some of these coral colonies just sitting on the bottom and growing upwards man. I can see in my mind how that will look in a year once I am more heavily stocked.
I mean, the vertical space overhead should be for corals to all grow upwards and the more of that space I have, the better, right?

But I need more light to do that. How much more? I'll find out when my Parwise gets here in a few days. I'm thinking of either adding a radeon in the middle, getting really ballsy and buying an a500x for the middle, or surrounding what I have in reef brites since they integrate with my kessils and mounts? I'm not sure at this point, but I want a lot of light to keep all the demanding stuff where I can still have those two small dim areas on the ends for other stuff too. I want like 400+ PAR midwater depth and 500 near the surface. With a small tank like this, it shouldnt be hard to do with one more light.
I noticed my kryptonite candy canes (when i had them) would always extend their tentacles as soon as the lights went completely off. I will definitely be ordering a 32 oz combo of pods and phyto to seed my new tank. How long does the phyto last in the fridge?

Anxious to see your PAR numbers as I will be running the same light...also anxious to see what light you end up ordering....lol i really need a PAR meter to dial in my lighting. I always feel like it is such a guess. I am gonna check with my LFS to see if they rent one. If not, I will likely ordered one from BRS and return it afterward, or get a seneye or parwise used when another one pops up on the marketplace.

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my kryptonite candy canes (when i had them) would always extend their tentacles as soon as the lights went completely off. I will definitely be ordering a 32 oz combo of pods and phyto to seed my new tank. How long does the phyto last in the fridge?

Anxious to see your PAR numbers as I will be running the same light...also anxious to see what light you end up ordering....lol i really need a PAR meter to dial in my lighting. I always feel like it is such a guess. I am gonna check with my LFS to see if they rent one. If not, I will likely ordered one from BRS and return it afterward, or get a seneye or parwise used when another one pops up on the marketplace.
Like a month. Usually it's all gone before that. I am giving the tank a shot a couple hours before lights on and then a big shot a couple hours after lights off. It feeds the pods and makes them breed and build, it removes nutrient from the water and my corals are digging it. This Millepora is already growing again...That one light branch on the bottom right. It's growing fatter facing into the current, and all the tips are growing too. The polyps closer to the ends of each branch are getting redder too. I'm excited to see what will happen in a month. To the others too.

1706910856661.jpeg

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as soon as the USPS dude realizes that my package with my PAR Meter is the most important priority on his entire route and delivers it, I can take readings today and make some decisions on lighting. :D

Do I like my lighting now? Yes, very muchos. But like I've said earlier, I have and will continue to acquire high light demand SPS, and I need some serious horsePARz to ensure they not only stay alive, but look awesome. It's only like the whole point.

I may buy an Orphek Atlantik Icon if I can mount it high enough over my tank. Those things are the exotic car equivalent of lighting. I like their style/quality too and how they make efforts to not blind people. And this is not to forget that one atlantik icon4 can light my entire tank by itself in the manner required.
That's kinda nice.

Another possibility is that I may buy another Kessil 360x or 500x for the middle and some orphek bars outside of them, then make it all work with reef brite brackets or something...I've been researching this one and it looks like something that will work with my existing kessil arm mounts that are also bolted to my stand.

Last resort is that I cut a big hole in the roof and be done with it.

All I know is that I'm not putting any other arms on my tank, and I am definitely not hanging nothing from my ceiling...except maybe my victims.:grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I tested my lights as I have them which is how I like them and this is what I get. I CAN get the PAR 100 points higher by changing the color more white, but screw that because I hate it. It's good and it's bad. I mean, look on the top left where I get 560 PAR and then 180 on the other side of the coral. Nope...

With the 55 degree reflectors, I get the intensity I need in the upper and mid-middle of the tank, but the rest sucks. If I take the 55 degree reflectors off, I get a wider spread of suck. So that's fine.

I guess if you had a frag tank or something with a smaller footprint and wanted to grow out zoos or frags in really shallow water, they're perfect for that, but in my tank, they're not enough to cover enough ground with the intensity I need.

So we have to make some changes and I think it's possible I may switch from the Kessils and go with a light that can provide a better spread. I could get 2 a500s and sell the a360s, but those two lights will cost me another 1500 dollars, they're bigger so they'll hang lower and give me less of the spread I need and then there's the shading issue where I would still need light bars anyway...so no to that one. I dont need 2700 dollars worth of lights...or do I? LOL

I guess I'm cutting a hole in my roof man.

The Parwise was a good investment to tell me my lights were not such a good investment. So it's a wash. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
But anything can be fixed and that's what we're gonna do.

I'm going do some research on how I could mount the Orphek to my kessil mounts somehow and have it high enough over the tank. But first I need to call my son and get a NY Strip and Potato Delivered because I'm Hungry AF. Maybe I should order some beer too so I dont feel so bad about my lights. Most people are home happy with their lights...I'm just gonna be some sad drunk guy who isnt happy with his. :grinning-squinting-face:

1707000486187.jpeg

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I tested my lights as I have them which is how I like them and this is what I get. I CAN get the PAR 100 points higher by changing the color more white, but screw that because I hate it. It's good and it's bad. I mean, look on the top left where I get 560 PAR and then 180 on the other side of the coral. Nope...

With the 55 degree reflectors, I get the intensity I need in the upper and mid-middle of the tank, but the rest sucks. If I take the 55 degree reflectors off, I get a wider spread of suck. So that's fine.

I guess if you had a frag tank or something with a smaller footprint and wanted to grow out zoos or frags in really shallow water, they're perfect for that, but in my tank, they're not enough to cover enough ground with the intensity I need.

So we have to make some changes and I think it's possible I may switch from the Kessils and go with a light that can provide a better spread. I could get 2 a500s and sell the a360s, but those two lights will cost me another 1500 dollars, they're bigger so they'll hang lower and give me less of the spread I need and then there's the shading issue where I would still need light bars anyway...so no to that one. I dont need 2700 dollars worth of lights...or do I? LOL

I guess I'm cutting a hole in my roof man.

The Parwise was a good investment to tell me my lights were not such a good investment. So it's a wash. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
But anything can be fixed and that's what we're gonna do.

I'm going do some research on how I could mount the Orphek to my kessil mounts somehow and have it high enough over the tank. But first I need to call my son and get a NY Strip and Potato Delivered because I'm Hungry AF. Maybe I should order some beer too so I dont feel so bad about my lights. Most people are home happy with their lights...I'm just gonna be some sad drunk guy who isnt happy with his. :grinning-squinting-face:

1707000486187.jpeg
Dang. I was hoping you would be surprised and be happy with PAR numbers.

But, what your saying is, for my 24x24 cube I plan to stock as a mixed reef I should be fine with one A360X...

As I plan to keep mostly softies, easy LPS, and maybe a few less light demanding sps frags right at the top of my rock work.

Eventually I will probably add some supplemental led bars. But we'll see.

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. I was hoping you would be surprised and be happy with PAR numbers.

But, what your saying is, for my 24x24 cube I plan to stock as a mixed reef I should be fine with one A360X...

As I plan to keep mostly softies, easy LPS, and maybe a few less light demanding sps frags right at the top of my rock work.

Eventually I will probably add some supplemental led bars. But we'll see.
There IS better PAR with it turned whiter. I just don't like it. It's unpleasant to me and if I can't look at it...you know.

The PAR for bluer light is less, but it's so much more pleasing to the eye. All I know, is that my readings across the entire bottom of the tank need to be stronger as well. I have a nice strong oval hot spot in the middle of the tank at the cost of everything else outside it. I'd honestly need like 2 more of them to be where I want them and at that rate, I can do better.

If you kept what you mentioned above, you'd be more than golden with one and a couple reefbrite strips I think. If it was me, I would try the a500. You can get an a500 used for the cost of a new a360. The corals I have here need a lot of light. Right now the way I have things, the PAR works at the cost of overall tank coverage by narrowing the beams, but I need something that has a broader light spread from multiple angles to keep the corals bathed in all directions. And the Kessils will NOT do that, so I've learned. And that's ok. I'm not mad. lol

It's time to hatch a new sinister plan. I just need to figure out some mounting bracket stuff...

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There IS better PAR with it turned whiter. I just don't like it. It's unpleasant to me and if I can't look at it...you know.

The PAR for bluer light is less, but it's so much more pleasing to the eye. All I know, is that my readings across the entire bottom of the tank need to be stronger as well. I have a nice strong oval hot spot in the middle of the tank at the cost of everything else outside it. I'd honestly need like 2 more of them to be where I want them and at that rate, I can do better.

If you kept what you mentioned above, you'd be more than golden with one and a couple reefbrite strips I think. If it was me, I would try the a500. You can get an a500 used for the cost of a new a360. The corals I have here need a lot of light. Right now the way I have things, the PAR works at the cost of overall tank coverage by narrowing the beams, but I need something that has a broader light spread from multiple angles to keep the corals bathed in all directions. And the Kessils will NOT do that, so I've learned. And that's ok. I'm not mad. lol

It's time to hatch a new sinister plan. I just need to figure out some mounting bracket stuff...
I will have to keep my eye out. I am sure the A360X will be plenty to get me started. Do you know what settings you are currently running yours at? BRS recommends these settings for the best PAR performance on a 24" area.

Color: 20
Intensity: 100
Violet/UV: 100
Red: 20
Green 0

Just curious how close these numbers are to your set up.

And I second the motion. Regardless of the less then ideal PAR numbers, your tank is looking fantastic! If mine looks 1/2 as good, I'll be a happy camper!

Also. Looking forward to seeing this sinister plan come to fruition!

PS: What salt mix are you using?

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to keep my eye out. I am sure the A360X will be plenty to get me started. Do you know what settings you are currently running yours at? BRS recommends these settings for the best PAR performance on a 24" area.

Color: 20
Intensity: 100
Violet/UV: 100
Red: 20
Green 0

Just curious how close these numbers are to your set up.

And I second the motion. Regardless of the less then ideal PAR numbers, your tank is looking fantastic! If mine looks 1/2 as good, I'll be a happy camper!

Also. Looking forward to seeing this sinister plan come to fruition!

PS: What salt mix are you using?
They're actually really close to BRS' recommendation, and I'm using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt.
Seems to be pretty good stuff.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back