46 gallon restocking order and advice

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer, recently built a 46 gallon bow-front (36” wide). 40 pounds sand, 40 pounds dry rock. Ammonia cycled. Disease took out my Royal Gramma and small mocha clown (Most likely ich. White spots and decreased eating for 4 days, not eating for 2 days, Prazipro and metroplex dosed in DT for those 4 days while I was getting supplies to set up hospital tank and dose copper, then they were dead the next morning. LFS took last remaining clown back to QT so I could leave tank fallow and start over.) Now have QT tank all set up also, only inhabitants of DT are nassarius snails and hermit crabs. Tentative fish list for once 45-day fallow period is done is as follows, but I’d like to get whatever should be at the top of this list started in QT while I wait.

What order should I add these fish??

2 juvenile snowflake clowns
1 Melanarus wrasse
1 flasher wrasse
1 blue-green chromis
1 yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair
Either 1 flame angel or 1 coral beauty angel

I know this is pushing the bioload of my tank size, will be going slow and watching parameters closely. If I need to eliminate a fish, I would probably take off the flasher wrasse or dwarf angel if it’s gonna destroy my (future) corals anyway. Hope to keep some lower light corals eventually as well. Welcome other feedback and advice as well. Thank you!

Last edited:

Parker Kufel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer, recently built a 46 gallon bow-front (36” wide). 40 pounds sand, 40 pounds dry rock. Ammonia cycled. Disease took out my Royal Gramma and small mocha clown (Most likely ich. White spots and decreased eating for 4 days, not eating for 2 days, Prazipro and metroplex dosed in DT for those 4 days while I was getting supplies to set up hospital tank and dose copper, then they were dead the next morning. LFS took last remaining clown back to QT so I could leave tank fallow and start over.) Now have QT tank all set up also, only inhabitants of DT are nassarius snails and hermit crabs. Tentative fish list for once 45-day fallow period is done is as follows, but I’d like to get whatever should be at the top of this list started in QT while I wait.

What order should I add these fish??

2 juvenile snowflake clowns
1 Melanarus wrasse
1 flasher wrasse
1 blue-green chromis
1 yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair
Either 1 flame angel or 1 coral beauty angel

I know this is pushing the bioload of my tank size, will be going slow and watching parameters closely. If I need to eliminate a fish, I would probably take off the flasher wrasse or dwarf angel if it’s gonna destroy my (future) corals anyway. Hope to keep some lower light corals eventually as well. Welcome other feedback and advice as well. Thank you!
I posted a thread awhile back asking abt chromis and whether or not they would be a good addition to my new 42 gallon Red Sea Reefer. Most people said they have to buy like 3 or 4 then end up only having about 1 or 2. They’re a schooling fish anyway and what’s the point of only having one... IMO I suggest getting rid of that chromi and I would say instead of the melanurus save ur money and later down the line get a leopard wrasse. Such a more beautiful and elegant fish then the melanarus, if money permits you to of course. But the order I’d do would be, clowns, chromi, goby/shrimp, flasher, melanarus, and finally the angels. Good luck!!!

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a thread awhile back asking abt chromis and whether or not they would be a good addition to my new 42 gallon Red Sea Reefer. Most people said they have to buy like 3 or 4 then end up only having about 1 or 2. They’re a schooling fish anyway and what’s the point of only having one... IMO I suggest getting rid of that chromi and I would say instead of the melanurus save ur money and later down the line get a leopard wrasse. Such a more beautiful and elegant fish then the melanarus, if money permits you to of course. But the order I’d do would be, clowns, chromi, goby/shrimp, flasher, melanarus, and finally the angels. Good luck!!!

I've heard that you usually end up with 1-2 chromis also, which is why I was thinking of just starting with 1. Ha!

As far as the melanarus goes, I've read that they are much easier to keep than leopard wrasses, and they stay smaller, which is why I was leaning that direction.

Thanks for your reply!

Parker Kufel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that you usually end up with 1-2 chromis also, which is why I was thinking of just starting with 1. Ha!

As far as the melanarus goes, I've read that they are much easier to keep than leopard wrasses, and they stay smaller, which is why I was leaning that direction.

Thanks for your reply!
Both still pretty!!

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other opinions on restocking order? How about Flame vs Coral Beauty for my dwarf angel?

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go clowns first. Then toss in the goby and his shrimp friend.

I'd swap the chromis for a blenny (tailspot, starry, or a fanged-one)

Keep the wrasses, add them around the same time together to figure out their hierarchy.

If you are worried about corals I'd go ahead and swap out the dwarf angel with a hawkfish (longnose is my favorite)

Fill the tank with some swag frags and enjoy the show.

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go clowns first. Then toss in the goby and his shrimp friend.

I'd swap the chromis for a blenny (tailspot, starry, or a fanged-one)

Keep the wrasses, add them around the same time together to figure out their hierarchy.

If you are worried about corals I'd go ahead and swap out the dwarf angel with a hawkfish (longnose is my favorite)

Fill the tank with some swag frags and enjoy the show.

Thanks! Why would you suggest swapping out the chromis for a blenny?

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Why would you suggest swapping out the chromis for a blenny?
Blennies have super personalities (rivaled by hawkfish). The algae eater variety will also be an essential part of the CUC.

Chromis (imo) are like freshwater barbs, you need several of them to keep them occupied otherwise they'll rip each other apart. You may start with 3-4 but eventually they dwindle down to 1 or none. Probably need to be in larger groups for long term success.

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies have super personalities (rivaled by hawkfish). The algae eater variety will also be an essential part of the CUC.

Chromis (imo) are like freshwater barbs, you need several of them to keep them occupied otherwise they'll rip each other apart. You may start with 3-4 but eventually they dwindle down to 1 or none. Probably need to be in larger groups for long term success.

I've read that exact statement about chromis many times in the past...which is why I was thinking that I'd just try doing 1 to see how it does, since I don't have room for a school of 5+. Does anyone have experience trying a single chromis in a tank of approximately this size?

Also, I've heard a billion times about how blennies have amazing personalities. What does this mean? Is it because they look funny perched on a rock? Or am I missing something? Not being snarky, legitimately curious...

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I've heard a billion times about how blennies have amazing personalities. What does this mean? Is it because they look funny perched on a rock? Or am I missing something? Not being snarky, legitimately curious.

It's in the eyes. They're watching you. They are legitimately interested in what you are doing and will follow you from one end of the tank to the other.

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, we’re getting closer to our 45 day fallow period being complete (May 22). A pair of juvenile occelarius clowns have been in QT since 4/23, look healthy and have been eating great.

We’ve been doing more research and asking advice at our LFS, and they advised that a Melanarus wrasse could get too big for our 46 gallon bowfront. What does everyone here think based on their experiences? Live aquaria says 50 gallon min tank size, which is pretty dang close, but I don’t want to stress it out, either.

Our LFS also said that it’s a matter of when, not if, a coral beauty or flame angel will eat corals. What do y’all have to say about either a Pygmy (Cherub) or Flameback angel instead? It looks like they stay a little smaller. Would they be more reef-safe? How about aggression toward other peaceful tankmates?

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, we’re getting closer to our 45 day fallow period being complete (May 22). A pair of juvenile occelarius clowns have been in QT since 4/23, look healthy and have been eating great.

We’ve been doing more research and asking advice at our LFS, and they advised that a Melanarus wrasse could get too big for our 46 gallon bowfront. What does everyone here think based on their experiences? Live aquaria says 50 gallon min tank size, which is pretty dang close, but I don’t want to stress it out, either.

Our LFS also said that it’s a matter of when, not if, a coral beauty or flame angel will eat corals. What do y’all have to say about either a Pygmy (Cherub) or Flameback angel instead? It looks like they stay a little smaller. Would they be more reef-safe? How about aggression toward other peaceful tankmates?

Melanarus might be a bit cramp in a 46 bowfront. What about a yellow "coris" wrasse?

I'm inclined to agree with your LFS on this one... some dwarf angels cannot resist the urge to pick at fleshy corals like acans. That includes the pygmy/cherub/flameback group as well, some people have success with no coral picking by keeping them well fed with multiple feeds, but again it only takes one bite for an angel to get hooked.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back