Votes: 53 53.0%

• Total voters

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think if we get a math 'prof' in here, we're going to get 288.

If we get a math 'teacher' (k through lets say 8th grade) we'll get the 2 answer. I think as a nation if our mathematical literacy was better, we'd do better- but I'm a math nut, so I have a very biased opinion.

thats pretty much exactly whats going to happen.

Billgax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am astounded there has been this much inconsistency amongst R2R reefers... you're a smart bunch, by in large... So what the heck?! lol

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am astounded there has been this much inconsistency amongst R2R reefers... you're a smart bunch, by in large... So what the heck?! lol

eh- i wouldn't blame anyone but the education system- I may be a math guy, but I'm also/was a high school dropout. If I had never gone back into school, I probably would be very mathematically well, illiterate (compared to my current knowledge level, which is still on the extremely low end.) Heck, it wasn't till a few years into my college education that I had a teacher who was actually able to answer why X^7/(X^7) = X^0 = 1 Up till that teacher, all the others had only been able to say "well, it just is" or point at the book.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The function takes the form

C(f(*))

Where C is a constant 48/2 and f(*) is a constant 9+3.

Rewriting
(C)(f(*)) = (48/2)(9+3)

Applying the correct order of operations

(48/2)(9+3) = (24)(12) = 288

A least that is what the I have learned while working on my PhD in mechanical engineering. With knowledge in tensor calculus, multiple variable partial differential equations, differential geometry and the sorts. All much more advance than basic calculus in this case basic algebra.

For those of you who aregetting 2, the function has been incorrectly defined in your calulator as 48\[2(9+3)].

Trust me the correct answer is 288 as defined by the original poster.

- agreed this is the answer and as i read through the posts i actually had trouble understanding the other answer (yet the poll shows many do get 2)
it seems so obvious that after the parenthesis left to right with multiplication and division having equal status - so divide first because it is to the left of the multiplication ie 48/2*12 = 288
its odd that so many think multiplication has priority over division
and as far as those who wanted to do the fraction thing its the same answer again

48/1 * 1/2 * 12/1 = 288

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- agreed this is the answer and as i read through the posts i actually had trouble understanding the other answer (yet the poll shows many do get 2)
it seems so obvious that after the parenthesis left to right with multiplication and division having equal status - so divide first because it is to the left of the multiplication ie 48/2*12 = 288
its odd that so many think multiplication has priority over division
and as far as those who wanted to do the fraction thing its the same answer again

48/1 * 1/2 * 12/1 = 288

I think majority of people still don't consider multiplication and division as the same operation- they view it as two different ones. Same with subtraction/addition. I think the PEDMAS rule sort of ingrains some bad habits at a young age, and takes awhile to de-program.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think majority of people still don't consider multiplication and division as the same operation- they view it as two different ones. Same with subtraction/addition. I think the PEDMAS rule sort of ingrains some bad habits at a young age, and takes awhile to de-program.

I agree, I believe that division should be taught as multiplying by a fraction (what it is) before being taught as division. I think the problem with math education these days is the people teaching often don't understand where the math came from and how it is truly used. I believe that a requirement for teaching should be experience working in a field the subject is applied. That way kids can see how it really effects their lives, which might interest more kids in the maths and sciences.

However fields that apply mathematics and sciences pay MUCH more than a teachers salary, which would make it much harder to "recruit" teachers.

Brandon

Billgax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fwiw, there are tons of jobs that utilize addition/subtraction and multiplication/division and pay utter crap...

Just sayin'...

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the big issue is that way too many things are taught different in different grades.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fwiw, there are tons of jobs that utilize addition/subtraction and multiplication/division and pay utter crap...

Just sayin'...

Well what I meant was, the requirement should be that they work in a field that provides them with a better insight of the subject they are teaching. I guess a kindergarten or third grade teacher could develop their math skills as a cashier at jiffy lube, but to teach a little higher level (algebra, calculus and beyond if offered at a junior high/ high school) would require a job a little more in depth than basic addition and multiplication. Plus I assume parents would want their children taught math by a person with a little higher education than that of a crap job.

Just sayin,
Brandon

Billgax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algebra, calculus? Sorry man, thought we were talking about multiplication and division... my bad. lol

Billgax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, a high school math teacher I had was limited to student teaching as her only prior work experience. Jiffy Lube would've done her wonders...
Nobody gave a rip beyond that she had a degree...

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, a high school math teacher I had was limited to student teaching as her only prior work experience. Jiffy Lube would've done her wonders...
Nobody gave a rip beyond that she had a degree...

That is what I'm talking about, problem with our education system...no specific branch or sub branch. Just most teachers don't have a true understanding of what they are teaching, in all subjects. Work experience along with the degree would be extremely beneficial.

At the end of my career I am going to teach math and physics to the young minds of the future. Hopefully demonstrating how it applies to their lives and stimulating the imaginations of young innovators. I will be able to teach from a view point that most teachers just don't have.

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
288 is correct.
Here's an explination of order of operations from my college algebra book:
"1) Do all calculations within groups symbols before operations outside." In other words, do the ()'s or []'s first.
"2) Evaluate All exponential expressions." i.e. 10 to the 5th power...not used here.
"3) Do all multiplications and divisions in order from left to right" <-- this is where people are getting hung up on this problem. There is no rule that states to do multiplication before division or the opposite. Treat these as 1 type of math since division is basically the opposite of multiplication.
"4 Do all additions and subtractions in order from left to right"

To double/triple/quadruple check, I found very similar answers in this book that would show that 288 is the correct answer.
Enjoy.

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think if we get a math 'prof' in here, we're going to get 288.

If we get a math 'teacher' (k through lets say 8th grade) we'll get the 2 answer. I think as a nation if our mathematical literacy was better, we'd do better- but I'm a math nut, so I have a very biased opinion.

Actually, I presented this one to my math teacher wife (7th - 12th). She got 288. Then proceeded to tell me if I wanted to get 2 as an answer, I'd have to change the problem as presented.

As I read her the above quotes... she said, "WHAT!?!?!" Thanks Drain & Nixer, she's aggravated at someone other than me today! :)

Last edited:

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the big issue is that way too many things are taught different in different grades.

This FTW! Lots of shallow instruction in the topic rather than prolonged and deep instruction that will generate true understanding.

Back