5 nems are not doing good. Looking for advice

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have 5 anemones, I believe they are rainbow bubble tips. They have split and were doing good for a while. I had a tank crash and had to move them to another tank. I put lights (ai prime) above the tank, and have a hob filter and power head in the qt tank, all corals are in the tank and nems in a basket in the corner clamped to the top. They have been in qt for 3 days

One was about 10” tall, and the others were large. They are all shrunken up to nothing and arms are stringy. I really want to save them, and just don’t know enough about nems to help them survive. Any help is appreciated..

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all, I have 5 anemones, I believe they are rainbow bubble tips. They have split and were doing good for a while. I had a tank crash and had to move them to another tank. I put lights (ai prime) above the tank, and have a hob filter and power head in the qt tank, all corals are in the tank and nems in a basket in the corner clamped to the top. They have been in qt for 3 days

One was about 10” tall, and the others were large. They are all shrunken up to nothing and arms are stringy. I really want to save them, and just don’t know enough about nems to help them survive. Any help is appreciated..
Im sure others will weigh in - in the meantime - some more information might help:

1. What is the light in the 'new tank' compared to the 'old tank' (i.e. is it a big change)
2. What is your ammonia, nitrate, etc. Was the salinity temp, etc matched between the 2 tanks?
3. How do the corals look?
4. What caused the tank crash?

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure others will weigh in - in the meantime - some more information might help:

1. What is the light in the 'new tank' compared to the 'old tank' (i.e. is it a big change)
2. What is your ammonia, nitrate, etc. Was the salinity temp, etc matched between the 2 tanks?
3. How do the corals look?
4. What caused the tank crash?
Hey there thanks for the reply.

Light was 2 hydras, now a single prime in the qt
Ammonia nitrate salinity is zero / the same, but used a different salt. Temp is a couple of degrees increased. Now that I’m going to be fallow, I bumped up the temp a little.
Corals are not happy, some are doing ok.
Tank crash was due to dosing polyp labs medic. See my other thread for details on that. Basically killed most fish and shrimp very quickly.

I just put nems back into display tank. Not sure if it’s a good idea but they seem to be holding on to the rock. I did a 100% water change (65 gal) a couple of days ago so I just wanted to get them back on the live rock and under their lighting to hopefully get back to something stable

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are stressed due to them being moved around . Give them time to adjust

Reefer58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to giving them time :). Since they are back in the display I would just keep an eye on them when you can to see if they are getting better or still shrinking

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey there thanks for the reply.

Light was 2 hydras, now a single prime in the qt
Ammonia nitrate salinity is zero / the same, but used a different salt. Temp is a couple of degrees increased. Now that I’m going to be fallow, I bumped up the temp a little.
Corals are not happy, some are doing ok.
Tank crash was due to dosing polyp labs medic. See my other thread for details on that. Basically killed most fish and shrimp very quickly.

I just put nems back into display tank. Not sure if it’s a good idea but they seem to be holding on to the rock. I did a 100% water change (65 gal) a couple of days ago so I just wanted to get them back on the live rock and under their lighting to hopefully get back to something stable
Not sure as to whether that was right or wrong - BUT - I think it was right. And - I would give them some time. I have said this a couple times - and I'll say it again. If you lift (whatever) partly out of the water and it smells like death - its probably death - or dying - and likely to cause more problems to the rest of the inhabitants. If not - leave it. Of course with coral you can cut the 'bad part' off. PS - I think even a temp change like that can cause an issue. Check the smell - and observe. I had a 3 foot carpet anemone - the power went off - for a day - it looked fine - but when I lifted it up - even to the surface (not out of the water) - it smelled like a sewer. the next day - it was a mass (and I mean a mass) of gelatin on the tank.

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to giving them time :). Since they are back in the display I would just keep an eye on them when you can to see if they are getting better or still shrinking
Thanks. Two of them are doing good now. They other three aren’t as happy but I’ll keep an eye on them.

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure as to whether that was right or wrong - BUT - I think it was right. And - I would give them some time. I have said this a couple times - and I'll say it again. If you lift (whatever) partly out of the water and it smells like death - its probably death - or dying - and likely to cause more problems to the rest of the inhabitants. If not - leave it. Of course with coral you can cut the 'bad part' off. PS - I think even a temp change like that can cause an issue. Check the smell - and observe. I had a 3 foot carpet anemone - the power went off - for a day - it looked fine - but when I lifted it up - even to the surface (not out of the water) - it smelled like a sewer. the next day - it was a mass (and I mean a mass) of gelatin on the tank.
That’s not good. Sorry about your nem. I’ve noticed that they do smell bad today. But I felt like they always have an off smell. I was just noticing it more today because I moved them, handled them, and cleaned the old tank out. But it didn’t smell good.

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did they end up doing?
Hey thanks for checking in. All 5 went back in the display that I had to do a 100% water change on. 3 of them made it and seem to be pretty happy, extending tentacles, very big, mouths closed...but have lost some color. They are just not as vibrant, but I’m guessing from the stress.

Teo of them didn’t make it. I had to pull them out as the area around the mouth was disintegrating and they were basically falling apart. So I got them out before they ruined the tank.

Nems are new to me so it’s a learning experience, glad that three of them made it at least.

Ill upload some pics. Sorry for messy tank it’s been through a rough week

jlSkHQc.jpg

6aH0lNt.jpg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 167 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.0%
Back