55 gallon - 125 gallon stocking suggestions

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, its been a while :) . Have gotten a few more tanks since my nano and now have an established 55 gallon fowlr. Was curious as to some good fish I could keep that i typically could not keep in a reef tank. Currently running the salinity at 1.023 with a skimmer, 350 gph hang on back, and a canister running 275 gph. I think that may be enough but am willing to add a powerhead or two. Okay so as for current stocks and the plans for this tank, I am growing out some fish for a future larger brackish tank in here, thankfully they comfortably thrive in full saltwater conditions. These atm are a monodactylus argentus, two green scatophagus, and a banded archerfish.The scats behave similar to tangs and are a bit aggressive with eachother, I may need to split them... I also have a baby volitan lionfish. SO... I want to move the salt fish in here into a 125 or larger in about 2-4 years, I would love a slow growing trigger or something similar. Really just looking for suggestions so I can brainstorm, aware the lion will probably grow and catchup with me at some point, but the brackish fish unfortunately grow painfully slow. I am not a huge coral person so when I do get my larger fowlr tank together I will definitely be doing predators and aggressive fish.

So here are some things I would like, most I assume won't work together so I will see what combination you guys think i should do...

Slow growing trigger fish?
butterfly fish
puffers (preferably not tobies)
slow growing larger angels?
dwarf angels
wrasses
eels

Currently have access to a baby niger trigger and baby lunar wrasse, not sure on growth rate. Also have my eyes on a very nice Bicolor angel. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks guys.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately what you have now does not lend itself to a grow out situation for any of the aggressive fish you are interested in. The volitan will quickly outgrow a 55, arothron puffers, large angels, and triggers are also not suitable to start out in a 55. Butterfly fish are very difficult, and with the exception of the raccoon, can not co-exist with aggressive fish. Eels contribute a good amount of nutrients and with your filtration what you have now would likely be all you could have. Trying to combine a salt and brackish grow out tank is also not a good idea.

I suggest doing more research on filtration and the needs of the fish you are interested in. If you keep the lion alive you will likely need to return him within 6 months. Dwarf angels and flasher/fairy wrasses among others can work in a 55g. Rather than a trigger you can look into filefish. Even in a 125g the only triggers that can work is something like a bluejaw, all other triggers will need a larger tank. Niger triggers grow very fast, 6 months in a 55g. The lunar wrasse also grows fast and will not survive long in a small tank. A bicolor angel may live a while in a 55g, but a little larger tank would be preferred; but this really isn't a fish for a beginner.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back