55 gallon or 75 gallon

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 for many reasons. More water volume is generally easier to maintain certain water parameters. However that doesn't mean it can't is it easily be done in a 55. Also more water volume equals more room for fish, corals, inverts, micro fauna, etc etc. which gives you better options as to what you can keep. The 75 is a lot wider front to back which allows you to keep bigger fish because they can turn around. So unless you're confined by some odd space constriction you're better off with the 75. I don't think it'll cost you any more to run the 75 than a 55 either.

OP
OP
edc_aquarium

edc_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 for many reasons. More water volume is generally easier to maintain certain water parameters. However that doesn't mean it can't is it easily be done in a 55. Also more water volume equals more room for fish, corals, inverts, micro fauna, etc etc. which gives you better options as to what you can keep. The 75 is a lot wider front to back which allows you to keep bigger fish because they can turn around. So unless you're confined by some odd space constriction you're better off with the 75. I don't think it'll cost you any more to run the 75 than a 55 either.
I was thinking the exact same

OP
OP
edc_aquarium

edc_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a Rio 3100 pump would work

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in mind that some 55s and 75s out there have tampered glass on the back wall and bottom pane of glass. So if you plan on drilling for a sump, you need to look at this

john472

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a 75 i like the lower height for PAR without having to buy more lighting. The depth is nicer too when you start adding rock work. It gives the fish more options to swim about. Something to think about.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a Rio 3100 pump would work
Honestly I would stay away from Rio pumps for a return. Yes they have good reviews on Google and Amazon but those are the worst places to look at reviews. If you ask her on the forums you will find that they're not very reliable. I have a Rio 1400 Plus on my auto top off right now but I'm never away for more than one day to where it would be too much of a concern. But even then I plan on replacing it soon. Now that you decided on the size of tank you want to go with it's time to start some other threats asking about equipment and the route you want to go. Take your time period moving in this Hobby too fast without research will cost you a lot more than you want.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 i like the lower height for PAR without having to buy more lighting. The depth is nicer too when you start adding rock work. It gives the fish more options to swim about. Something to think about.
Yeah you can't really appreciate the depth of a tank until you fill it with water Rock and some fish. Narrow tanks just don't give you many options

Jake Read

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 right now!
And I sure wish it was a 75...
Waaaay better proportions. I think the 55 is just too long and narrow.

Tiare H Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75g!! if you plan on getting a sump make sure that you either buy a stand for a 75g or build your own sump because there is no room for any type of sump under a 55g stand since they are not very wide and if you buy a stand for a 75g it looks pretty ugly because of all of the extra space on the stand.

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only reason I have a 55 is because I got the tank for free. I have been looking into upgrading for years but I'm not going small next time.

john472

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75g!! if you plan on getting a sump make sure that you either buy a stand for a 75g or build your own sump because there is no room for any type of sump under a 55g stand since they are not very wide and if you buy a stand for a 75g it looks pretty ugly because of all of the extra space on the stand.

Wow! I didn't even think of that(space under 55tank)) Nice catch!

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90...lol

I have a spot big enough for a four foot tank. At first I thought I wanted another 55. Then I remembered I hated how narrow they are. So then I figured out I could fit a 75 there if I get rid of the couch in that room and replace it with a love seat. Then I realized a 90 was just a taller version of the same footprint so I'm settling on that.

The opposite wall has room for a six foot tank. I may have to replace the love seat with a recliner when I'm ready to fill that space.

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not a fan of how narrow 55 gallons are (front to back) scaping and coral placement is too hard for me personally

Back