OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like that was intended to be installed before the tank had water in it. _That's_ annoying . . .

I should think that the weight of the light fixture would help to pull the assemblage forward, putting less pressure on the rim?

~Bruce

I'm thinking I need a spacer of some sort.

I already printed the return thing however I'm second guessing this.. i really like the look of this fixture. I want to make it work.

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hydra 26HD is no longer on a 10 gallon. And it can dish out some light.

(At 84watts of 90)
The surface of the water is around 700-800 par (I forgot the exact).
The tops of the rocks are around 350 up to 400 par.
The front right and left at the sand sits at 100 par.
I'll make a par map when I have my first light settings finalized.
IMG_3746.JPG

I got some hardware and shims for the instal.

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted in a Southern California Reef forum to buy some acropora. Someone gave me a really great deal on the three of these. Very happy. Hopefully I can keep them alive :eek: :)
  1. green poccillopora
  2. garf bonsai
  3. staghorn
P.s. Now I'm really debating buying something like a gyre. When I stick my hand in the tank I feel like there should be more water flow. But I'm definately new to keeping acros so I don't know what is enough or not enough.

IMG_3760.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On flow, you should see the polyps on that stylo move like it's in a windstorm. Or a tank least wiggle. Acros will take gale force flow but you may have a tougher time finding spots for other stuff like shrooms and zoas.
Gyere pumps mps etc just have different flow types, and better looking in the tank.

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On flow, you should see the polyps on that stylo move like it's in a windstorm. Or a tank least wiggle. Acros will take gale force flow but you may have a tougher time finding spots for other stuff like shrooms and zoas.
Gyere pumps mps etc just have different flow types, and better looking in the tank.

Thanks for the info.

I don't really care for mushrooms or zoas as much as my other corals. I don't plan to add either of each. Honestly I'm a little worried they'll take over my rocks if they grow like the tank I got them from. But I already made a purchase of the icecap gyre. =)) excited

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquascape has been setting with me wrong.

I watched some YouTube videos on photo composition and saw again some ideas with this photo grid thing. So I made one up for the fish tank..

IMG_3762.JPG

Seemed like before my tank was too crowded. I didn't like the rectangular look either. The shadow and the gap in the back with the small amount in of room in the front bugged me. But before I had the gap so I could clean.

After setting the grid thing up. Then looking at several pages of inspiration ideas. I set the rock towards the back 2/3rds of the tank. One stack 1/3rd one stack 2/3rd tall. An extra rock piece floating in the middle open space 1/3rd to the left.
IMG_3767.JPG
IMG_3768.JPG

I set some corals around. I need to get my ATO set up with a DIY reservoir. Maybe put kalk in there to help my low pH.

I'm also wondering if that gyre will help raise pH with the added water flow. Idea being that the air is getting into the water with the surface agitation and the fresh air is helping the pH go up.

After it arrives I'll definitely watch the graph for results.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I have missed a bunch. The build is doing great. I like the revised scape, it has a more open feel then just a pile.

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!

That's a way more pleasant aquascape to look at!

~Bruce
Wow I have missed a bunch. The build is doing great. I like the revised scape, it has a more open feel then just a pile.

Thanks! Yes I didn't like it before but I didn't know how to change it was the problem. But I think I'll leave it as it is now :)

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's beautiful :>
IMG_3774.JPG
IMG_3775.JPG

I was running it on max. Quieter than I expected with some random sounds but I figure that will go away. The fish were hiding from the flow.

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my current settings.

IMG_2113.PNG

With the 77watt setting above here is my par map taken with the Seneye Reef. Little less than I expected. Ironically the sand has good par and the rocks cut out. Mainly I need to raise my light higher to get better spread or just add more lighting. I'll see how this works. I think 200 par should be okay. There will be shadowing. Good news is at least the par map is pretty even nearly all 100-200.
IMG_2112.JPG

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New phone! Going to have fun with these photos :)

Here is the tank. This morning the sand ate my blasto. I turned the pump down from 100% to 70%. At the end of my work day I came home to find a huge mound of sand. I reversed the pump 70% hoping to put it back :p maybe later I'll drop the setting some more or set it to oscillate between directions.
IMG_0008.JPG

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks great man!

Thanks!

Man it's great to see the life in there.
Hit me up next time your in town. Unfortunate I clears out a bunch of stuff a month ago but I've still got some good odds and ends.

Any reason to go to San Diego my wife will jump in the car lol. I'm a little slower to get out however. I'm sure we will be in San Diego some time this year. No idea when.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back